Engine fires in the A-10C

jmainjet

I've been hit, shot, banged and blown up. My engines or engine is on fire. Checklist!......

# Fly the Airplane!

# Reduce speed below 250 Knots.

# Throttle (affected engine to idle cutoff) wait couple seconds.

# Pull appropriate fire "T" handle

# If light goes out....continue check list.

Well the fire NEVER goes out!

What is up with that? :pilotfly:

It's not done just pulling the T-Handle of the specific engine. With that, you just designate where the fire extinguisher agent will be sent to after pressing the fire extinguisher discharge switch (on the right of the T-Handles)

see A-10C flight manual page 94, 119 & 120

"Figure 93. Fire Extinguisher Discharge

Once one of the three “T” handles has been pulled, you may press the FIRE EXTING DISCH switch on the right side of the dash left or right. Pressing left or right activates the left or right pressurized extinguisher"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift

It is a bit shameful that DCS-A10C wont restart engines after a fire. There should be times where a quick engine restart might still work depending on the damage. That and the throttling back of the engine can also put out the fire without firing the extiguishers but not in game. It's part of the checklist though...

It is a bit shameful that DCS-A10C wont restart engines after a fire.

This isn't categorically the case. I was able to restart engines after a fire, but this is extremely rare, since when the engine is hit, it most often receives so much damage that it won't restart.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I assume that if the compression area of the engine is damaged with holes it cant compress anymore.

Trying to restart after a fire could result in another fire. Best to limp home on one motor unless of course both motors are hit.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I have never in my life been sucessfull with that.

What they do is restart up to 30rpm, and then immediately shut off again. This of course for the case where engine is hit and the engine shuts down, and there is no fire. If there is a fire I don't bother.

I don't bother even putting the throttle to idle to see if it kills the fire because it won't. It's just a quick T handle and fire extinguisher switch ASAP.

The T handle will shut electric, Hydrualics, Fuel and Air off to that engine.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

The T handle will shut electric, Hydrualics, Fuel and Air off to that engine.

No, the T handle ONLY shuts off fuel. It has NOTHING to do with hydraulics or electrics. if by air you mean it closes the bleed air shutoff valve than yes but it doesn't cut off "air" to that engine.

• 2 weeks later...
No. But if you cut off fuel,elec,hydr, why would it not over time?

You mean why the fire won't go out over time?

If that is what you mean, it can go out over time, but the problems is the damages it could possibly cause during that time, sometime making it worst.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 1 month later...

I don't bother even putting the throttle to idle to see if it kills the fire because it won't. It's just a quick T handle and fire extinguisher switch ASAP.

Er ....... if you mean to Cut-Off, it just might, actually. After all, what is the most likely thing to be on fire? Yup, you guessed - fuel. So if you cut the supply of fuel to the fire it could possibly go out. Possibly, because the fuel cut-off itself could be damaged and so be part of the actual cause of the fire. So the designers give a second means of cutting off the fuel supply - the Fire Handle.

I suspect that pulling the Fire Handle also arms the extinguisher system too - ready if needed. Incidentally if the engine fire is raging and the engine is still giving power, it is a good idea to shut the engine down anyway. If you don't, then the extinguisher could be blown straight through the engine with reduced effectiveness.

Edited by roadrabbit
additional information

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick:

it is a good idea to shut the engine down anyway. If you don't, then the extinguisher could be blown straight through the engine with reduced effectiveness.

You need to pull the T-handle for the extinguisher to even be able to discharge into an engine, which shuts it down anyway. Not possible to discharge into a running engine.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You need to pull the T-handle for the extinguisher to even be able to discharge into an engine, which shuts it down anyway. Not possible to discharge into a running engine.

I agree with the first part of the sentence above, but what if the mechanism to shut off the fuel via the Fire Handle has been damaged? Then pulling the Fire Handle might not shut the engine down.

In any event, as I said, it is possible that the engine fire could extinguish just by putting the thrust lever to Cut-Off, which would be a good move. Long term damage to the engine could possibly be minimised and no-one would have to clean the engine of extinguishant (depending on what was used, of course). A possible example here would be a ruptured fuel line on the engine side of the cut-off valve.

In my experience, if something can possibly happen, then one day it will. :thumbup:

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick:

I agree with the first part of the sentence above, but what if the mechanism to shut off the fuel via the Fire Handle has been damaged? Then pulling the Fire Handle might not shut the engine down.

I think, in the manual there is a schematic that shows that the fire handle shut off valves were located somewhere way away from the engines. So that the chances that both, the engines and the valves should not be damaged too easily by the same incident.

I think, in the manual there is a schematic that shows that the fire handle shut off valves were located somewhere way away from the engines. So that the chances that both, the engines and the valves should not be damaged too easily by the same incident.

You didn't see my plane after my last mission, did you? :music_whistling:

• 5 years later...

Message from Leo

It's not done just pulling the T-Handle of the specific engine. With that, you just designate where the fire extinguisher agent will be sent to after pressing the fire extinguisher discharge switch (on the right of the T-Handles)

see A-10C flight manual page 94, 119 & 120

"Figure 93. Fire Extinguisher Discharge

Once one of the three “T” handles has been pulled, you may press the FIRE EXTING DISCH switch on the right side of the dash left or right. Pressing left or right activates the left or right pressurized extinguisher"

Helpful, thanks man.