DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

AIM-7E uses con-scan and can only use CW illumination - that part is probably not modeled. It is older than AIM-7F, shorter ranged and may have some other 'issues', depending on which exact 7E version is used.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 3 weeks later...
In a head on BFM scenario, should i maintain corner speed as i am approaching the target before the pass (so i can have the tightest turn rate)? Or should I try to gain speed so I'm not at an energy disadvantage?

We need more info: what aircraft against who with what weapons?

There are no general rules written in stone here.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Generally it's not a good idea to purposefully deplete your energy state before the fight has even started. This goes double if you're in a faster and more powerful aircraft against a better turner. There may be some situations in aircraft that can pull a really quick turn to go for a cheap-shot after the pass, but more likely this is the sort of stunt that will get you killed. If you do want to turn back hard, it's a lot better to do a high yo-yo to get you down to corner speed while preserving energy, than to have to regain energy you deliberately prevented yourself from having in the first place. Energy gives you options.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Generally it's not a good idea to purposefully deplete your energy state before the fight has even started. This goes double if you're in a faster and more powerful aircraft against a better turner. There may be some situations in aircraft that can pull a really quick turn to go for a cheap-shot after the pass, but more likely this is the sort of stunt that will get you killed. If you do want to turn back hard, it's a lot better to do a high yo-yo to get you down to corner speed while preserving energy, than to have to regain energy you deliberately prevented yourself from having in the first place. Energy gives you options.

exatly what i was looking for thank you. Better to have more energy and covert it to altitude until you are down to corner is what i've heard.

... which is when a hornet or flanker or mig pilot will slow down a bit, beat you in the 1-circle with absolute ease, and stick you full of HOBS missiles. :)

The real answer to your question is 'it depends', and it depends on a lot of stuff. First you need a plan, once you have a basic plan you can figure out if that plan is ok or not, based on what your opponent is doing, and possibly what he's equipped with.

exatly what i was looking for thank you. Better to have more energy and covert it to altitude until you are down to corner is what i've heard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well yes, it does depend, which is why I said energy gives you options. Presumably you have some idea (e.g. from RWR) if you're up against one of those hard turning AoA + HOBS tricksters and that they might try that. If you dump your own energy trying to beat the at their own game you're going to lose anyway. If you stay fast and they slow down to try that, you can 2-circle them or just blow through the merge and be out of effective range of whatever they're trying to shove up your tailpipe. Safe option.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

• 3 weeks later...
They may be using the single key "Q" which dispatch one of each. Some ppl may not know there are individual keys for flare and chaff.

no i mean a10, f16, f18 pilots who set up their countermeasure programs. Even real world pilots will have a few flares in their chaff programs

Because you can't guarantee that you know what's been shot at you.

no i mean a10, f16, f18 pilots who set up their countermeasure programs. Even real world pilots will have a few flares in their chaff programs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

After all these years of absence... the only Training for FC3 I have is that for the Su-27.... Quick Missions missing especially reg. the F-15C... I remember more of them. What is happening, will this be fixed? I'm confused.

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

After all these years of absence... the only Training for FC3 I have is that for the Su-27...

Yes, there are only Su-27 training missions but there are also Su-25T training missions. The info is interchangable between russian aircraft.

Also Rudel_chw converted Su-27 training mission for Mig-29:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222382

For the rest ask forum and youtube.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Flying the Flanker with a friend... why is there no Datalink? It’s hard enough to keep up the situational awareness so why does something simple as this miss? As I read in the forums, it’s an issue since years.

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

As much as I would also love to have this feature in the Flanker, I'd assume ED never implemented it due to its complexity and the Su-27 being a simple FC3 module.

As far as I know the Datalink (at least, a version of it) is properly implemented in the Ka-50.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

• 2 weeks later...
Has any one else experienced Loss of BVR Radar in FC 3 Aircraft ?

I was flying this night F-15C without problems @ latest OpenBeta version.

Please explain more: what aircraft, what situation, add track file...

• 2 weeks later...
What is the point of the certain AoA that is maintained on approach to landing if the pilot is going to end up flaring at the end? Why dont planes just come in at a shallower angle to begin with?

Also, when exactly should I flare when landing?

Thanks

The West flies a certain landing AoA for a particular aircraft because that automatically puts you at the correct landing speed for that aircraft’s gross weight. The purpose of the flare is to reduce the last bit of your descent rate to lessen the strain of landing on the aircraft.

Edited by Ironhand
Clarify a statement.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

When exactly should you do it? And thanks, didnt know that about the aoa

Umm...When you’re over the runway but before you hit the ground? :) The proper height will vary, I suppose, with the aircraft. You want to be fairly close to the ground.

Think of it this way...it’s the process of flying a constant AoA that allows you to use the “control your airspeed with the stick and descent rate with the throttle” approach to landing. Pulling back on the stick (flaring) will slow you down, reducing lift. You want to do that close to the ground.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.