LITENING Pod, Station 2 or 10?

AvgWhiteGuy

Curious if there is any technical aspect of loading the LITENING Pod on the port or starboard side or if is just a matter of personal preference. Most pre-sets in DCS have it on Station#10 but I prefer it on #2 because my orbits are generally counter-clockwise.

This in itself (counter-clockwise orbits) may be against a standard protocol, and if so I'd like to know about it. I fly DCS solo so I'm not concerned about confliction in the airspace but if, and when I'm ready to test my mettle on a server with a squadron I probably should get that right.:doh:

So other than technical aspect, preference or protocols, is there a conscious relationship between the location of the LITENING pod (camera position) and the TGP and/or TAD (in cockpit)?

[Edit] If it makes a difference, I'm flying with TMHOTAS, Saitek Flight Pedals, TM MFCDs, TrackIR, Razer Orbweaver

Don't hesitate to elaborate; I just might learn something today:book:

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I've wondered myself, it may only be related to standard patterns, but the only thing I can say, is make sure the flight has them all the same, there is nothing worse than holding and being masked at the same time as your flight is hot.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

On the real A-10 can it be loaded on both and switch between them' date=' so if you're getting close to obscuring the sensor with the airframe it will check the other side and if it's clear use that, a bit like antenna diversity switching (not A-10 related)?[/quote']

We would never load two for a mission and no it can’t “switch.”

Normal SKL for our A-10s at Moody is 10, only time it would be on 2 is if station 10 had issues.

Normal SKL for our A-10s at Moody is 10, only time it would be on 2 is if station 10 had issues.

Hey Snoopy, is there any reason for not loading the litening pod on the station 10 or is that just the way its been done?

I live a couple miles from an A-10 base, and have been to A-10 competitions, so I have seen a lot of them. I've seen it on both sides, our local squadron (190th FS) usually has it on 10, but I have seen other squadrons that usually have it on 2. Seems to kind of be squadron preference I guess? Or maybe the times I have seen them have just dictated the placement. In DCS, I personally like it on 2 because I prefer a left hand turn off target or orbit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

• 1 year later...

Two Litening pods on A10C, shouldn'it be not possible?

Folks,

A while ago Snoopy mentioned in a thread re: the loading of the Litening Pod on station 2 or 10, that only one would be loaded IRL. This makes a lot of sense. (quoted below, only thread I found on this topic)

Accidentally (ie being stupid as usual :cry:), I loaded in ME two Litening pods on 2 and 10 on my A10C. Good news is that switching between them during flight appears not possible. Hard to be affirmative but it seems that the right-wing one (pod 10) take precedence.

Wouldn'it be better in a future release to not allow this happening in the Mission Editor?

And thanks to the dev team for all the hard work to give us fun...

Wouldn'it be better in a future release to not allow this happening in the Mission Editor?

I can't really imagine the ground crew accidentally loading two TGPs on one aircraft, but I don't believe there's a physical limitation to it, so why prohibit it from happening in DCS?

Plus, I betcha a case of beer if it's prohibited with a future patch, it won't take long until someone complains because a) there's no physical limitation IRL and b) they want to test what happens when they do, even though it'd never happen IRL anyway... :D

The following question didn't receive an answer in this thread yet, or did it?

So other than technical aspect, preference or protocols, is there a conscious relationship between the location of the LITENING pod (camera position) and the TGP and/or TAD (in cockpit)?

I believe it's standard procedure for pilots to set the TGP display up on the same side that the pod sits under the wing, so either station 2 + TGP on Left MFCD, or station 10 + TGP on Right MFCD; AFAIK that's mostly to remind them which wing has the TGP and to make sure they don't accidentally/subconsciously mask it by turning in the wrong direction.

As for orbit directions (left hand or right hand), good question. I don't think there's anything wrong with picking the one you prefer, unless the briefing or some other agency (like a JTAC) specifically says to orbit in either direction.

Well yeah, but I couldn’t resist posting after the left/right discussion. :D

These 2 jets took an extra Sniper to Spangdahlem after an excercise in Spain/Portugal (I forgot).

The original carriers flew from there straight to CONUS as part of the (then) ongoing inactivation of the 81st FS.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the TGP is loaded on 10 mainly because of the ECM pod on 1. You don't want all the bad stuff the ALQ is putting out to interfere with the electronics in the TGP, so you get the TGP as far away as possible from it (as far on the other wing as possible).

If you're not carrying an ECM pod, then it probably doesn't matter so much, but I would guess that the biggest reason for always loading it on 10 would be consistency. Any pilot would know that 9/10 times he/she steps to the jet, the pod is going to be on 10, unless the crew chief says otherwise, or there is a problem. Being consistent in things like this can prevent confusion as well as saving time when seconds matter (friendlies are taking fire on the ground). One lapse in confusion, or an orbit in the wrong direction because you couldn't remember which wing it was on, and friendlies could be killed.

That's the best reason I can think of. Consistency.

You don't want all the bad stuff the ALQ is putting out to interfere with the electronics in the TGP, so you get the TGP as far away as possible from it (as far on the other wing as possible).

Interesting, sounds plausible.

Then again, is there any reason for the ECM pod to go on station 1? It could just as well be loaded on 11, can't it? And then with the ECM pod on 11 we'd want the TGP on 2. :smartass:

In any case, I always thought the masking shape of the ECM pod was more than enough reason not to mount the TGP on the station right next to it.

That's the best reason I can think of. Consistency.

That's probably the best of them all. :thumbup:

I would think left hand patterns would be more natural given that's how you would pattern at a runway usually. I think I have a tendency to turn left when given the option.

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2