[ART] Viggen engine 3d model

Juancio

Hello guys, I was flying the Viggen and noticed that the engine bay on the model is rather incomplete and lacking in the details department. It looks kind of crude compared to lets say, the Mig-21.

I know its kind of minor, but are you planning to improve this?

I attached some pics below and a screenshot to compare them.

Thank you.

Screen_170317_215538.thumb.jpg.737345ffb0053efbd1e79847ab03b9fb.jpg

Viggen.thumb.jpg.9b5e30fde8c8d9104c1c8efc8f5c587d.jpg

volvorm8-1.thumb.jpg.69d50e38105d33fc622a8850dfbe4571.jpg

volvorm8.jpg.3d51a25e6bacbc8dc44dd19760383af2.jpg

Viggen-1.jpg.7f2547ff7d4fc7635f9c66d3dec57f1d.jpg

Hey! My pic! ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=160018&d=1490999148

What is it you find is missing? That screenshot is rather dark.

The nozzle will of course change its appearance depending on the throttle setting and the top reverser plate will only hang down a while after engine shut downs, and the hydraulic pressure bleeds off.

Im talking about the stuff behind the afterburner. Our Viggen has nothing behind it, just a black grey texture. If you look at the real engine, there are blades and other parts behind it.

I repeat, this is a very minor problem, the rest of the model is top quality, so if Heatblur can improve this part a little bit, then it would be perfect.

PS: Nice picture you took there Goblin

Im talking about the stuff behind the afterburner. Our Viggen has nothing behind it, just a black grey texture. If you look at the real engine, there are blades and other parts behind it.

I repeat, this is a very minor problem, the rest of the model is top quality, so if Heatblur can improve this part a little bit, then it would be perfect.

PS: Nice picture you took there Goblin

Those blades will be spinning so fast they will look just like a grey blur.

Our Viggen has nothing behind it, just a black grey texture. If you look at the real engine, there are blades and other parts behind it.

Ah! I see. Yes, they could probably put a turbine texture on there.

But as addde says, when running it would be a spinning blur anyway.

Biggest thing I've noticed is the lack of an animated nozzle.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Well... the exhaust is missing... a lot.

You can't even see a turbine there, this part of the aircraft really needs some love.

EDIT: Looks like that's the old model, can anyone confirm if they changed it in the last Viggen patch? I didn't check the exhaust with this new 1.5.6 update.

8vxFhwI.jpg

Edited by Vitormouraa

Those blades will be spinning so fast they will look just like a grey blur.

Sorry but I disagree with you. If you take a look at the su-27, f15, mig21, mig29, etc, to name a few, you will notice they all have fully detailed animated engine nozzles with spinning blades that look far from just grey blur.

I also noticed wheel rotation is off, the animation is too slow. When the plane moves very slowly there is no rotation at all. It looks weird, as if the plane was sliding around.

Maybe they fix this sometime in the future.

Sorry for my english.

• 1 year later...

I just bought the viggen, and this is the first thing I noticed!

Crap, this module is giving me some MiG-21 vibes (a.k.a. weird bugs that will never be ironed out...)

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I just bought the viggen, and this is the first thing I noticed!

Crap, this module is giving me some MiG-21 vibes (a.k.a. weird bugs that will never be ironed out...)

This quite frankly isn't a bug - if you're playing with shadows off you're in a strong minority.

Fixed for next patch.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This quite frankly isn't a bug - if you're playing with shadows off you're in a strong minority.

Fixed for next patch.

I'm playing with everything maxed out, but the nozzle is not animated and the inside looks very flat...

apart from that, I take back the MiG-21 vibes comment, this module is a lot of fun and I'm impressed by the A-G radar and the anti-ship missiles, it's awesome!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

BTW, I read on the manual at page 65:

Tertiary air hatch The tertiary air hatch provides a small amount of extra thrust at low altitudes by acting a somewhat of a secondary bypass system. Additional air is pulled through the slits and join the compressed air stream. At higher airspeeds this slit is closed by the tertiary air hatch. The hatch opens and closes in about 5 seconds. The hatch is closed if the following requirements are met; » Airspeed is > Mach 0.65 » Landing gear lever position IN » Throttle < zone II afterburner

tried in-game but I don't see any such hatch at the conditions stated in the manual, does it need to be animated or am I doing something wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys; the art update that was listed in today's changelog was a misnomer because we only pushed code updates for this update. The art fixes will be in the next point patch. Sorry for the confusion.

For reference;

Exterior mirrors now reflect the environment

Fixed various clipping and shine-through issues in exterior (esp. Cockpit)

Sculpted new normal map for exhaust nozzle and area

Sculpted new normal map for exterior exhaust shell

Added RoughMet textures for the exhaust shell

Added static turbine texture for better deep engine detail

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Hey guys; the art update that was listed in today's changelog was a misnomer because we only pushed code updates for this update. The art fixes will be in the next point patch. Sorry for the confusion.

For reference;

Exterior mirrors now reflect the environment

Fixed various clipping and shine-through issues in exterior (esp. Cockpit)

Sculpted new normal map for exhaust nozzle and area

Sculpted new normal map for exterior exhaust shell

Added RoughMet textures for the exhaust shell

Added static turbine texture for better deep engine detail

Thank you Cobra. Are you planning to animate it at any point or it will just remain static?

What about this?

Tertiary air hatch The tertiary air hatch provides a small amount of extra thrust at low altitudes by acting a somewhat of a secondary bypass system. Additional air is pulled through the slits and join the compressed air stream. At higher airspeeds this slit is closed by the tertiary air hatch. The hatch opens and closes in about 5 seconds. The hatch is closed if the following requirements are met; » Airspeed is > Mach 0.65 » Landing gear lever position IN » Throttle < zone II afterburner

What about this?

Coming with the RAT in the patch after next.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations