Hornet aerobatics -video (Real and new)

Alfredson007

Here's a recent video i found from YouTube of a finnish FA18 doing aerobatics:

My initial reaction was that in DCS Hornet i might be exceeding 250kn with a shallow afterburner take off like that, atleast for the gear doors... But just barely.. then i noticed, that the AB probably goes to full burner after the gears are up! This is exactly what you need to do in DCS i believe, so seems that the acceleration is probably very spot on in DCS already!

Educated guesses of the initial climb angle on take off anyone...?

EDIT: Btw notice the uncommon very soft, flared landing with aerobraking.

Edited by Alfredson007

When we will be able to aerobrake like that? Right now after touchdown with minimum descent rate, even if stick is pulled fully aft as fast as possible, the nose gear still goes down quickly. Something is really off in the flight model.

I believe it's linked to the full flaps pitch down moment. I have no issue doing this on the finish hornet, as long as I land with half flaps.

I made a very short video to illustrate it (take and and immediate landing)

touchdown at 140kts and nose drop at 115kts or something--- about 5seconds of aerobraking, just like in the finns vid. the only difference is that is flare a tad more in final, and seemed to stay above runway on ground effect just slightly longer.

for reference

Edited by FZG_Immel

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Here's a recent video i found from YouTube of a finnish FA18 doing aerobatics:

My initial reaction was that in DCS Hornet i might be exceeding 250kn with a shallow afterburner take off like that, atleast for the gear doors... But just barely.. then i noticed, that the AB probably goes to full burner after the gears are up! This is exactly what you need to do in DCS i believe, so seems that the acceleration is probably very spot on in DCS already!

Educated guesses of the initial climb angle on take off anyone...?

EDIT: Btw notice the uncommon very soft, flared landing with aerobraking.

Interesting, first time i see a Hornet/Super Hornet demo pilot, pulling negative g's (1:53 or so) got to say i'm mostly used to see CAF/ARC CF-18 Demo routine or USN's.

Interesting, first time i see a Hornet/Super Hornet demo pilot, pulling negative g's (1:53 or so) got to say i'm mostly used to see CAF/ARC CF-18 Demo routine or USN's.

The super hornet demo used to at least... especially after a vertical climb

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5