DCS manual, after reading up to page 67 currently...a few questions

fitness88

A few questions please:

1. P. 58 #18 While holding up the FCS BIT switch [Y] on the right wall, press the FCS OSB on the BIT / FCS page at the same time. What does this do? Is it implemented?
  2. P. 52 #9 The Velocity Vector can be caged and uncaged to the center of the HUD with the cage/uncage button on the throttle. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Velocity Vector?
  3. P. 54 #6 Once right engine RPM is over 60%, rotate the BLEED AIR knob 360 degrees clockwise, from NORM to NORM. I understand what BLEED AIR does but what's the purpose of the 360 turn from NORM to NORM on startup?
  4. When on the runway is there a way to mark your plane's exact position with a waypoint? I'd like to be able to run a course line up the middle of the runway for landing guidance?

Thank you.

1. Yes. The aircraft conducts a bit test of the flight control surfaces (ie: moves them around a bit).

2. Not really. It's to make sure that, during your approach turn to carrier for the best example I can think of, you can still easily see the data you need. You would then uncage the HUD as you roll into the groove.

3. The Bleed Air valve is closed when the Fire Test A and B are performed after turning on the battery, it needs to be reopened by rotating the knob.

4. You might be referring to Markpoints, which haven't been implemented yet, but when they do will allow you to create a waypoint at the aircraft's current location.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

1. Yes. The aircraft conducts a bit test of the flight control surfaces (ie: moves them around a bit).

2. Not really. It's to make sure that, during your approach turn to carrier for the best example I can think of, you can still easily see the data you need. You would then uncage the HUD as you roll into the groove.

3. The Bleed Air valve is closed when the Fire Test A and B are performed after turning on the battery, it needs to be reopened by rotating the knob.

4. You might be referring to Markpoints, which haven't been implemented yet, but when they do will allow you to create a waypoint at the aircraft's current location.

Thank you LooseSeal this was most helpful.

3. For some reason I thought the left engine uses the bleed air from the right engine to start when it's cranked and if the Bleed Air isn't rotated then the left engine wouldn't start...I think I've misread on that!

4. Yes I was referring to mark points which I believe was capable with the M2000.

Thanks again.

A few questions please:

1. P. 58 #18 ..
  2. P. 52 #9 The Velocity Vector can be caged and uncaged to the center of the HUD with the cage/uncage button on the throttle. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Velocity Vector?

Real pilot AE W vid shows he always flew in with HUD caged, there's an indicator in the HUD when caged where the actual vv really is.

It prob differs per year and which squadron.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Real pilot AE W vid shows he always flew in with HUD caged, there's an indicator in the HUD when caged where the actual vv really is.

It prob differs per year and which squadron.

Yes there is a ghost indicator, so they use both. You're saying they never uncage it. I thought it was only caged when turning on final approach.

Not sure what you mean "It prob differs per year and which squadron"

Yes there is a ghost indicator, so they use both. You're saying they never uncage it. I thought it was only caged when turning on final approach.

Not sure what you mean "It prob differs per year and which squadron"

- with 'flew in' I meant final approach

- caging the HUD is done when braking 180 your down leg turn in left and braking, so to see the HUD properly, across 90 across 45 and uncaging in the groove, supposedly

- "It prob differs per year and which squadron" it is noticed on the interweb different squadrons and different years have different rules for their pilots.

AE W who flew 20 years ago even mentioned 'it's up to the pilot to decide how he wants to fly' which is something I sincerely doubt these days (as in civil flying).

He also mentioned an 'experienced LSO' can see from the plane behavior where the pilot is looking and this LSO has the authority to send you off the ship to 'refresher course' land side.

In his time it was forbidden him, unlike what is said on the DCS forum today 'to fly the notch'. When the LSO notices the pilot does that he will down score, reprimand or much worse. They had to fly the ball.

(So it now depends if you want to fly 'historically' of 'contemporary' ? :smartass: :) )

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

- with 'flew in' I meant final approach

- caging the HUD is done when braking 180 your down leg turn in left and braking, so to see the HUD properly, across 90 across 45 and uncaging in the groove, supposedly

- "It prob differs per year and which squadron" it is noticed on the interweb different squadrons and different years have different rules for their pilots.

AE W who flew 20 years ago even mentioned 'it's up to the pilot to decide how he wants to fly' which is something I sincerely doubt these days (as in civil flying).

He also mentioned an 'experienced LSO' can see from the plane behavior where the pilot is looking and this LSO has the authority to send you off the ship to 'refresher course' land side.

In his time it was forbidden him, unlike what is said on the DCS forum today 'to fly the notch'. When the LSO notices the pilot does that he will down score, reprimand or much worse. They had to fly the ball.

(So it now depends if you want to fly 'historically' of 'contemporary' ? :smartass: :) )

Thanks for that update...so much to knowsmartass.gif

2. It would be difficult to see the E bracket, for example, when turning in crosswind/final with the VV being at HUD limits in windy conditions; hence caging the VV to the middle makes it a lot easier, among some other things.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

2. It would be difficult to see the E bracket, for example, when turning in crosswind/final with the VV being at HUD limits in windy conditions; hence caging the VV to the middle makes it a lot easier, among some other things.

Thanks...I just thought not seeing the VV would make it difficult to know where your plane was heading in the turn with a crosswind.

Edited by fitness88

Thanks...I just thought not seeing the VV would make it difficult to know where your plane was heading in the turn with a crosswind.

You still can, the HUD shows a 'shadow' vv, a cross, where the actual vv is.

A few questions please:

DCS manual, after reading up to page 67 currently...a few questions

I strongly recommend you put that pamphlet aside and dig in to the NATOPS ;)

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 1 month later...
What does the centre push pin do in the bleed air knob?

afaics. the only use I've found is to hold it down (after starting the right engine with ground air), crank the left engine and hold down until the engine catches. i.e. wait till rpm 20% then right/alt/home whilst holding the push button.

don't know what it means tho :dunno:

afaics. the only use I've found is to hold it down (after starting the right engine with ground air), crank the left engine and hold down until the engine catches. i.e. wait till rpm 20% then right/alt/home whilst holding the push button.

don't know what it means tho :dunno:

Thanks...so it's an instant full bleed button?

Thanks...so it's an instant full bleed button?

I don't know. However without that button pressed I couldn't get the right engine to start spooling. I also had to hold it down (after moving the throttle to idle) until rpm was 60%. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I don't know. However without that button pressed I couldn't get the right engine to start spooling. I also had to hold it down (after moving the throttle to idle) until rpm was 60%. Hope that helps.

Sorry I should have said "left engine"

Sorry I should have said "left engine"

You have to rotate the bleed air clockwise:

"L BLEED: Left engine bleed air valve is automatically closed due to

the Fire & Bleed Air Test switch or bleed air leak or fire has been

detected in left engine bleed air ducting."

Chuck's Guide p.25

I don't really understand the bit test, the manual is unclear. Is it fully implemented and how do I utilize it?

Yes it is implemented. BIT stand for built in test. So the BIT, or wipeout as it is called, is a test of the FBW system of the hornet. In our Hornet it is faster than what I remember and the controls don’t move in the same fashion. However I say that with the caveat that I worked Lot10-12 mostly with few higher Lots the last few years I was in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it is implemented. BIT stand for built in test. So the BIT, or wipeout as it is called, is a test of the FBW system of the hornet. In our Hornet it is faster than what I remember and the controls don’t move in the same fashion. However I say that with the caveat that I worked Lot10-12 mostly with few higher Lots the last few years I was in.

Cheets, but how do I initiate the BIT test?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

There is more than one, for which system do you want to perform a BIT?

I'm assuming at jet start I would normally just push "auto" and let the BIT do its thing?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.