Night Lighting

My screen shot along with one teased from ED a few weeks ago. ED shot first. My shot taken maxed settings. 2am clear summer night. Not a perfect match but close enough to see differences in lighting elements (ie missing lights in the release vs the teased shot like street lights and red building lights). Probably done for performance reasons. Hopefully we get something closer to the teased shot eventually. c9023c89ae1c8008ad98c668d651ec3b.jpg3867b3826d76529f049f7f5ca72bb178.jpg

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Night lightning is actual a huge problem in DCS. It seems ED is for any reason relaying on some kind of moon calendar. So, you have not only to search for a night where the moon is present. You also have to pick the right time, because there are many nights where the Moon is only visible for a few hours.

For a simulator I would personally prefer a slider in the Weather Menu for Moon - yes or now – and a slider for the intensity of ambient lightning.

Because "at the moment" for ED the Moon seems to be the only source of light "by night" : ( . No Stars no reflections on clouds and so on. It's much better when it comes to down and a not jet visible sun already gently lights up the sky.

And I'm sure that’s the secret behind ED`s screen shots. It’s a combination of Moonlight and early morning sunrise.

Always happy landings ;)

Mission date and time gives you all the control you need over moon state. I use http://www.timeanddate.com to find the moon state I require. For Abu Dhabi, go to;

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/united-arab-emirates/abu-dhabi

Choose a month and year that's relevant to your mission.

(JTF-1) Yomo | 55th FS

JTF-1 Discord

Asus Prime Z370 MB // Intel i7 8086k @ 5GHz // 32GB DDR4 3200 // RTX 2080ti // Virpil FSSB3 Lighting, Cougar Throttle with USB mod, T-50 Base + Warthog HOTAS, custom collective // Thrustmaster TPR // Vipergear v2 ICP // 3xCougar MFDs // a bunch of DIY Button Boxes // Oculus Rift

Night lightning is actual a huge problem in DCS. It seems ED is for any reason relaying on some kind of moon calendar. So, you have not only to search for a night where the moon is present. You also have to pick the right time, because there are many nights where the Moon is only visible for a few hours.

For a simulator I would personally prefer a slider in the Weather Menu for Moon - yes or now – and a slider for the intensity of ambient lightning.

Because "at the moment" for ED the Moon seems to be the only source of light "by night" : ( . No Stars no reflections on clouds and so on. It's much better when it comes to down and a not jet visible sun already gently lights up the sky.

And I'm sure that’s the secret behind ED`s screen shots. It’s a combination of Moonlight and early morning sunrise.

But that doesn't explain the missing city lights.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Try moving your point of view & the angle you look from.

They're a bit bugged and show much better from some angles than others - they'll be not showing then suddenly pop up.

Same time and place, different angle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=185194&d=1527161208

lighting.JPG.e859034ca9abaff7f7e2d69b4571789f.JPG

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Mission date and time gives you all the control you need over moon state. I use http://www.timeanddate.com to find the moon state I require. For Abu Dhabi, go to;

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/united-arab-emirates/abu-dhabi

Choose a month and year that's relevant to your mission.

Thanks a lot for the information. Perfect Web source .:thumbup:

Always happy landings ;)

Hello, I just wanted to add to this. The "yellow" lights are dim and there's some sort of blurring with distant light sources. I have trouble explaining it. The lights highlighting skyscrapers seem to work right, again maybe a little dim, but not too bad.

p.s. I tried this on nights with and without a full moon.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Maximus IX Code | i7-7700K@4.20GHz | STRIX GTX1080TI | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 | 1TB SSD | CH Fighterstick(two-stage trigger mod) | CH Pro-Throttle | CH Pro-Pedals | TrackIR 5