is the sabre going to ever be fixed???

jonatron5

Lighting, camera Angle and Throttle Position have big a effect on Smoke.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...
Right now the F-86 smokes way too much, and the MIG-15 should smoke more, as much as the F-86. It's really unfair in a dogfight right now...

When I was a little boy, we lived right at the end on one of the runways at Right Patterson AFB. At that time there were still a fair number of F86's flying in and out of there. I remember that you could always tell the F86 no matter what angle you saw it from because of the long trail of black smoke. Sometimes it was pretty black, and others it was not as easy to see. But it was always there.

• 3 weeks later...

The F-4 Phantom had a problem with smokey engines too and that was 1-2 generations later. It was a tactical disadvantage during the Vietnam war. The F86 had a early generation axial flow jet engine vs a centrifugal flow engine for the mig15. My guess it is realistic, perhaps needs a tweak or two however.

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

• 3 weeks later...
The F-4 Phantom had a problem with smokey engines too and that was 1-2 generations later. It was a tactical disadvantage during the Vietnam war. The F86 had a early generation axial flow jet engine vs a centrifugal flow engine for the mig15. My guess it is realistic, perhaps needs a tweak or two however.

Indeed

For interest here is an really nice documentary on Robin Olds, F-4 orientated and worth a watch in full.

Regarding the engine smoke from the F-4's interesting commentary at around 22:50 into the video.

Reckon they could spot F-4's at 15 miles away as a result of the smoke.

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I'm telling you guys....The smoke is absolutely accurate. I personally have seen it many times. It's not at all overly done in DCS. As I stated earlier, I lived right at the end of the runway at WPAFB in the late 60's and into the 70's when they were still flying F86's in and out of there. They were very easy to spot and identify from that trail.

In fact, if any of you here are from Dayton around that time, you may remember Island Park where Wright Pat. donated an F86 to the Parks Dept. and they put it right smack dab in the middle of that park for the kids to play on. I spent many a Saturday afternoon in the cockpit of that plane.

That was back when everything on a playground was made of steel and pavement and no one was concerned about being sued because people were accountable for their clumsy kids and understood that $h!t just happens sometimes.

• Like 1

I got involved with a group of guys that do PVE missions with sabres amd migs, and I was really dissapointed by what ive learned with them. In the current state of the game the stock sabre gets thrashed by the Mig-15. This is regaudless off whether your flying agaisnt an AI or a real player so its not the simple flight model being an issue.

I assume DCS being as realistic as they are, first concern is historical accuracy, but as of right now thats out the window. In real life the Sabre and the Mig-15 where extremely similarly performing aircraft, the only way weve managed to get fun missions with equal performance out of the sabre is to edit the lua files for the migs, set the sabres in mission to have 10% fuel (turn on unlimited fuel), edit the lua file of the sabre to get rid of that assanine gun overheat mechanic (the way its moddled now the sabre guns turn into shotguns after one burst) with this setup, the sabre handles like a sports car, and can keep up with the mig beautifully, and dogfights agaisnt the A.I. are actually enjoyable and challanging. However this Really destroys some of the fun of the game, Becuase also wing pylons are broken. they add an unholy ammount of drag to the aircraft, so we cant field bombs ,rockets, drop tanks, or missiles. Now obviously I understand that wing pylons will natrually add drag to any aircraft as opposed to the (clean) setup, but I really think its currently bugged becuase it goes from flying like a sports car, to flying like a dumptruck.

also the radar gunsight does not work, and this in my mind is the most unforgiveable. One of the coolest things about these semi modern jets is having a computer reading the radar returns off your target aircraft and automatically adjust the pipper to compensate for lead on the target. As of right now the automatic lead angle indicator will make you miss 100% of the time so its not just bugged its litterally completely broken. So ontop of everything else, here we are flying a 1950s fighter jet and we have to mechanically cage our gun sights and work with deflection shooting.(wich to be fair is fun too, but i paid for a working gunsight damnit)

Interesting any chance you can explain what exactly you edit in the Lua file for gun overheat. It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Agreed on the comments re combustion chambers above. The combustion chambers of the modified RR Nene Axial flow engine in the Mig is seemingly more efficient (and AFAIK, that is one of the major design changes that the Russians made to it), given that the overall specs of the two types of engine is surprisingly (to me at least) similar, in thrust, airflow, fuel consumprion etc.

I put it down to the fact that newer axial flow engine design was still being perfected wheras the centrifugal flow engine had the benefit of a good few years of development behind it. Having said that, my experience of Jet engines while in the RAF, was that you could alwas spot an older US engined aircraft from miles away, by the massive trail of smoke it left (thinking F104, & F-4 specifically).

Heroes of the Skies! I made the Phantom, Mig-21 and Thud models for that episode ! :)

Edited by mkiii

• 2 weeks later...

I can easily defeat AI MiGs in the F-86. The only issue is that the MiGs seem to soak up 50 cal rounds like nothing else. I have run out of ammo fighting one MiG. (while using gun sight) It seems like the engine on the MiG can take 25-30 rounds and still run, and to get a reliable kill I have to get in close and aim for the wing roots. The Sabre seems to be far better then the MiG in the flight characteristics department, so I think you might just need a little practice. Maybe try fighting MiGs with the AI set to novice, until you can learn how the jet handles, and how to best exploit weaknesses in the MiG. I find that the Sabre turns better then the MiG at higher speeds, and it seems to accelerate quicker. Try not to loose too much speed in a turn fight, because the MiG can more easily get on you six if both of you are near stall. I haven't played this jet much though, so I recommend you try to reach your own conclusions. The other thing to note is that the missiles are worthless in a dog fight, and they weigh you down massively. Only use them to hunt bombers, and if you do get into a fight with a MiG, use the Safe Fire button to get rid of them.:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

All you really need to do is set the AI skill level to no higher than "average" and it is a fair fight' date=' anything higher and the AI has a IRST ball in one eye, and a radar in the other, and a PW-220 powering the MiG.[/quote']

AI does seem to see you long before you see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

AI does seem to see you long before you see it.

That and the MiG's ridiculous ability to absorb .50 cal is what ruins it, there isn't much you can do about the damage issue other than what you said, but sometimes such precision is hard to do in a dogfight, the only thing we can affect is the AI's visibility range, which seems directly linked to their skill level, it's the only way to enable surprise tactics.

• 1 month later...
Interesting any chance you can explain what exactly you edit in the Lua file for gun overheat. It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

Hi Westr,

He did actually explain what he changed in the Lua to fix the guns.

Anyway, if it is till driving you crazy send me a message and I will send you the mods you need. We fixed all of this stuff ourselves a long time ago (even before the other guys posted it here), we just wanted it implemented into the game to pass integrity check.

Alpha

• 3 weeks later...

One other thing about that lua file that bothers me is the setting for the effective fire distance:

tbl.effective_fire_distance = 1000

Shouldn't that be more like 1800? Does that number have a real effect in the sim & do shells "disappear" at 1000m?

Figures for the (M2) .50, which can be found out there on the web often state 2000m Maximum effective range from a tripod, ie stable mounting, and ball ammunition. Other round types have lesser or greater ranges.

Reading the Army manual on the M2, it figures about a 3m drop at 100m range, so that's worth noting. Obviously the gunsight should be compensating for a set range/bullet drop. At 700m, it is a drop of just 1m, and below that, presumably it is more or less flat.

Reference:-

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-65/ch62.htm#s1p1

Obviously the