Harrier or A-10 (asking for your opinion)

Ifikratis

Hi all,

I am a new DCS user (around a month new), having purchased the Hornet and Persian Gulf map so far. And while I'm still learning the Hornet, I would like to take the sale opportunity to acquire one more aircraft. I am considering the A-10 or the Harrier. Based on your more deep experience I would like to ask your opinion on which you think is a better purchase?

Looking at the beautiful Chuck's guides but also screenshots and videos I have the impression that the A-10 is better in terms of visuals. Modelling/texturing detail seems of a higher level to me. However I could be wrong...but is it right? To be honest though I like more the Harrier's design as an airplane. Its more intriguing and pleasing to look at.

Besides the visuals, and besides that the Harrier is not yet complete, which one do you think is more interesting or has a deeper learning curve? I know the Harrier is a STOL aircraft, which surely gives it an advantage, but I'd like to hear more if someone has the time and will to let me know. An interesting question which I am completely unaware is how deep is RAZBAM systems simulations compared to Eagle Dynamics?

Of course if you feel that there is not a considerable advantage on these planes, the "buy both" option is also one I am considering.

Thank you very much for your time to read my message. I'd be looking forward for your advice :)

Edited by Ifikratis

| JF-16 Thunder | F-16C Viper | F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | AV-8B N/A Harrier II | AJS-37 Viggen | M-2000C | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Watrhog | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer | MiG-21bis | FC3 | L-39 Albatros | C-101 Aviojet | SA342 Gazelle | Mi-24P Hind | Mi-8MTV2 | UH-1H Huey | Ka-50 Black Shark |  P-51D Mustang | P-47 Thunderbolt | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst | Yak-52 | I-16 | Christen Eagle II | Persian Gulf Map | Nevada Test and Training Range | Normandy 1944 | Syria Map | Channel Map | NS 430

Tough one, both CAS, A-10 is tougher, AV-8 is faster.

I have them both, and currently fly the Harrier more, a part of that due to being British and the history, heritage of the Harrier pings the old pride, but because the VSTOL capabilities haven't ceased to be fun yet.

The A-10C currently has a far more complex weapons system, countermeasures et al, whilst the AV-8B has complexity in its different types of takeoff and landing with the numbers involved, weights and balances being far more noticeable in their importance and how it affects decisions with how you're going to get airborne, etc. It also has great night capability which is nicely modelled with NVGs and FLIR.

They complement each-other well, so with that I'd say both.

Edited by ouPhrontis
grammar

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

If you are new to DCS, I'd suggest the A-10C as a better choice ... its much easier to learn to fly her well, and then you can start learning each sensor and weapon one at a time, you will have entertainment for a long time as the A-10 has so many systems and weapons.

There will always be sales, so dont hurry with purchasing the Harrier, perhaps at the end of the year she will be much more complete and thus more satisfying to learn.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for your advice! Very valuable to me :)

I bought the A-10C now and I'm really impressed. Even released at the dawn of DCS, Eagle Dynamics have done an outstanding job that just holds like it was released today. Its extremely well done and I'm sure the 600+ pages manual will keep me busy for a long time.

However, I'm still considering the Harrier (due to the sale) and I may get it too before the sale ends, mostly intrigued to practice its STOL capabilities.

Again thank you very much for your very helpful inputs.

| JF-16 Thunder | F-16C Viper | F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | AV-8B N/A Harrier II | AJS-37 Viggen | M-2000C | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Watrhog | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer | MiG-21bis | FC3 | L-39 Albatros | C-101 Aviojet | SA342 Gazelle | Mi-24P Hind | Mi-8MTV2 | UH-1H Huey | Ka-50 Black Shark |  P-51D Mustang | P-47 Thunderbolt | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst | Yak-52 | I-16 | Christen Eagle II | Persian Gulf Map | Nevada Test and Training Range | Normandy 1944 | Syria Map | Channel Map | NS 430