Spotting Ground Targets

Eaglewings

I went on a bombing run using the Instant Action Mission and experienced some difficulty at spotting the ground targets(Tanks) even when flying at low altitude.

On Persian gulf terrain, I thought it would be easier to spot those tanks compare to the Caucus theatre. They seem so small in scale.

Anything I could do to improve this?

As a result of the problem of spotting the targets, I tried to use the GPS coordinates of the tank from the F10 page, added a waypoint to the default waypoints and inputted the coordinates using the UFC. I then set that waypoint as target waypoint and the following was noticed

1. The coordinates will enter but alter the last two numbers and the bomb would miss by a long range. Not even fragment impact.

Is there a correct way of doing this or this is one of the early access limitations.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I went on a bombing run using the Instant Action Mission and experienced some difficulty at spotting the ground targets(Tanks) even when flying at low altitude.

On Persian gulf terrain, I thought it would be easier to spot those tanks compare to the Caucus theatre. They seem so small in scale.

Anything I could do to improve this?

The most natural way to compensate for this is to use markers. You can customize ingame markers to your liking. If you don't like big signboards all around you, you can easily change these to black dots, for example. Just copy the corresponding file from game folder to

"My Documents\My games\Dcs\Config\View\Labels.lua"  

and edit it accordingly. Sadly, the game does not provide us with graphical markers, so you'll have to do with text one. For example, to fit the center of an air or a ground object with a dot marker, it has to me a comma like "`" or "'". Also, you can set how the marker on an object will look like from different distances. As an example.

GroundFormat = {}
GroundFormat[15] = ""
GroundFormat[30] = "%N"
GroundFormat[1400] = "'"
GroundFormat[2000] = "%N"
GroundFormat[20000] = "'"

will not display any marker up close to 15 meters (standard F7 distance, make it 20 for F2 view of an aircraft), from 15 to 30 meters it will display object's name as a sign (so you can zoom out and see vehicle type), then from 30 to 1400 it will display ' above the object (it will be around it's center), from 1400 to 2000 it will display vehicle type again as a "pilot's identify skill", then from 2000 to 20000 meters it will again look like ' (thus, just a "dot" marker). These are set to my preferences, yours may differ.

All the label's components are described in Labels.lua you'll be editing, so you can add anything you'd like.

Colors of the markers are at the end of a file, respectively

ColorAliesSide = {100, 0, 255}
ColorEnemiesSide = {200, 0, 0}

in RGB format. Please note that the label colors will not switch when changing sides, it has to be done manually.

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

So the reasons the coordinates are changing is because you enter them I a hour minute second format but the computer changes it to an hour minute decimal format. It’s the right coordinates just in a different format.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So the reasons the coordinates are changing is because you enter them I a hour minute second format but the computer changes it to an hour minute decimal format. It’s the right coordinates just in a different format.

To add on to this for the OP and his troubles hitting small targets: even if you punch in the coords into a way point and designate it. The max resolution of lat/long we have is Degree/Minute/Second, a "second" of latitude is still ~101' long and longitude is ~80', OK for a large building, but not fine grained enough to target specific vehicles (unless you get lucky and it's on the exact spot of the coords)

Thanks for the input guys

My guess is we have to wait for the TGP and maverick to get this right.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Exactly....TGP is the best solution to find or spot targets...

The upcoming AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod system is very similar to the A10c so fingers crossed

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Thanks for the input guys

My guess is we have to wait for the TGP and maverick to get this right.

The pod will be king for this, the ground radar will also be able to more accurately designate precise points. Currently you can designate a target with the HUD (sensor select forward to move the dot to the FPM then TDC press to designate a target, TDC slew to move it around) but it can be tricky to move it precisely while you are flying directly at your target, you don't get much time... and you have to find it visually first. But if you make a few passes to refine your designation, this point can be used to accurately bomb with AUTO.

The pod will be king for this, the ground radar will also be able to more accurately designate precise points. Currently you can designate a target with the HUD (sensor select forward to move the dot to the FPM then TDC press to designate a target, TDC slew to move it around) but it can be tricky to move it precisely while you are flying directly at your target, you don't get much time... and you have to find it visually first. But if you make a few passes to refine your designation, this point can be used to accurately bomb with AUTO.
This method can be used in neutralize environments. Cannot afford to fly around where SAMs and air artillery guns are.

I am really excited at the prospect of the ATFLIR TGP implementation.

To add on to this for the OP and his troubles hitting small targets: even if you punch in the coords into a way point and designate it. The max resolution of lat/long we have is Degree/Minute/Second, a "second" of latitude is still ~101' long and longitude is ~80', OK for a large building, but not fine grained enough to target specific vehicles (unless you get lucky and it's on the exact spot of the coords)
I would zoom into the map to the last point to take my GPS reading. This should help remove such errors to a great extent I guess. Quite good in application in the Falcon 4 sim.

I too have noticed a difference in spotting targets since the Persian Gulf map was introduced. Seems like you have to get closer in order to see them. However, raising my gamma to 2.2 did help a little.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I would zoom into the map to the last point to take my GPS reading. This should help remove such errors to a great extent I guess. Quite good in application in the Falcon 4 sim.

Nope, even if you zoom all the way in and use the deg/minute/seconds it'll only get you to roughly 101ftx80ft (Ex: 51* 42' 23") it's still not accurate enough to target an individual tank or truck, large building is fine. We'd need to get to tenths or even hundredths of a second before a precise location of a vehicle would be feasible (ex: 51* 42' 23.4" or 51* 42' 23.43")

Nope, even if you zoom all the way in and use the deg/minute/seconds it'll only get you to roughly 101ftx80ft (Ex: 51* 42' 23") it's still not accurate enough to target an individual tank or truck, large building is fine. We'd need to get to tenths or even hundredths of a second before a precise location of a vehicle would be feasible (ex: 51* 42' 23.4" or 51* 42' 23.43")
Thanks Gekiog. At least I got that so I will not be making the wrong assumptions.

I know another military GPS format used in A-10C, cannot remember correctly (MGRS), can this be accepted in the FA-18C.?

Also how do one convert this GPS coordinates from one format to the other.?

Sadly, the game does not provide us with graphical markers, so you'll have to do with text one. For example, to fit the center of an air or a ground object with a dot marker, it has to me a comma like "`" or "'".

For the labels tweak method, the smallest character I could find is the unicode middle dot: ·

http://graphemica.com/%C2%B7

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

True, but it's good enough to get you lined up for a CCIP attack. Set bombs to CCIP mode, target the waypoint, roll in, and once you see the vehicles undesignate to get out of AUTO mode. I find it the easiest and most effective way to engage ground targets at the moment.

I haven't had a chance to try the F18 but i thought it had a/g radar?
A/G in the making. One of the feature to be added in future.

True, but it's good enough to get you lined up for a CCIP attack. Set bombs to CCIP mode, target the waypoint, roll in, and once you see the vehicles undesignate to get out of AUTO mode. I find it the easiest and most effective way to engage ground targets at the moment.
Good one on that method.

I am however trying to not be around a hostile target or Sam unit who will shoot you down if spent so time trying to eyeball the target

You won't be spending time looking for targets. You dive at the waypoint and once you're in visual range, the targets may be a few meters off, but you'll get them in a single pass. And if you don't, you egress in a safe direction and do it all over again. No loitering over SAMs needed. See ED's latest video if you have doubts what I mean:

Wags does exactly what I'm talking about.

The only downside of this method is there needs to be a waypoint on the target. Either set in the ME or manually, but either way, you need to know where the enemy is in advance. OTOH if you want to aquire and engage targets from stand-offish ranges, you'll have to wait for the FLIR or A-G RADAR to get implemented. I don't see any other way around it.