Radio Procedures?

AG-51_Razor

I have just read that outstanding Operations Manual for the Super Carrier, thank you very much Wags and Bunyap!! :thumbup: My question is about the radio usage during the communications with the boat. Are we going to be required to tune in different frequencies for Marshall, Tower, Air Boss, LSO?? I certainly hope so!! After all of the realism and real life procedures that have been put into this module, it would be a bit of a downer to be hearing all these radio calls coming through on just one radio channel. I would guess that the various frequencies for Marshall, Tower, Air Boss , etc. are able to be programmed in the ME. Would love to hear from ED about this.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 for the realistic approach.

Easycomms, or a form of it, could be used by peeps who don't want to be manually tuning the radio at busy times.

I use VAICOM, in VR, and that will hopefully remove the need for comms menu navigation via the keyboard.

I have just read that outstanding Operations Manual for the Super Carrier, thank you very much Wags and Bunyap!! :thumbup: My question is about the radio usage during the communications with the boat. Are we going to be required to tune in different frequencies for Marshall, Tower, Air Boss, LSO?? I certainly hope so!! After all of the realism and real life procedures that have been put into this module, it would be a bit of a downer to be hearing all these radio calls coming through on just one radio channel. I would guess that the various frequencies for Marshall, Tower, Air Boss , etc. are able to be programmed in the ME. Would love to hear from ED about this.

I haven't read the PDF yet but if ED follows the procedures to a tee, for case 3 it should be Strike > Marshal > Approach > Paddles (land/launch chan. - Boss can chime in usually on that one)

Local naval aviators can say something here:)

There used to be Red Crown circa 70's 80's - perhaps there's something else now. Well, combat related stuff or ordinance/delousing might be slightly outside of the scope here.

For case 1 I hope we go ziplip 90% of the time. This will force lots of planning, organizing, perhaps some light signals from the boat... I don't know if they still do that, my imagination is running wild now:smilewink:

It’s going to be just one freq. as it is now. Disappointed but not entirely surprised.

I'm OK with that. Hard core MP groups can create as many channels as they want to on TS or whatever. It's always been that way. Whether pressing a button on UFC keypad or keyboard there is always a way to take it to the next level.

I haven't read the PDF yet but if ED follows the procedures to a tee, for case 3 it should be Strike > Marshal > Approach > Paddles (land/launch chan. - Boss can chime in usually on that one)

Local naval aviators can say something here:)

There used to be Red Crown circa 70's 80's - perhaps there's something else now. Well, combat related stuff or ordinance/delousing might be slightly outside of the scope here.

For case 1 I hope we go ziplip 90% of the time. This will force lots of planning, organizing, perhaps some light signals from the boat... I don't know if they still do that, my imagination is running wild now:smilewink:

Red crown is still a thing. And the only light signals are from the IFLOLS. During zip lip, the cut lights are used as “Roger ball” and then subsequent actuations are for “power” unless Paddles uses the radio for that one.

Red crown is still a thing. And the only light signals are from the IFLOLS. During zip lip, the cut lights are used as “Roger ball” and then subsequent actuations are for “power” unless Paddles uses the radio for that one.

Thanks for the info GB. This shouldn't be too hard for ED to model... eventually.

Are you saying this from personal experience with an alpha version of the module, or are you just assuming this is the way it's going to be?

Well, the fact that your thread was moved to the wishlist should answer your question.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I'm also curious about this one. Also, what are the different channels?

- Departure - for takeoffs

- Marshal - at 50nm

- Tower - at 10 nm and while holding above the ship

- Approach - LSO

Or are Tower and Approach & LSO the same channel?

Is this correct? Does anyone have a precise list?

Thanks!

Edited by Reflected

Are you saying this from personal experience with an alpha version of the module, or are you just assuming this is the way it's going to be?

Well, the fact that your thread was moved to the wishlist should answer your question.

Yeah, it’s in wish list now, so there you go.

What you see is what you get with ED. There’s been zero indication that this is in, even in Wags case III video from ages ago.

There’s not going to be any departure radio at all either. Otherwise it would have been showcased. Not in mini-update, not in, is the general rule.

It would be a problem for AI to switch multiple radio channels, with the current radio system. Which needs significant changes. Still, other sims have been managing for years, maybe we’ll catch up.

It’s all in the lap of the [Later in EA] Gods.

Comms Question

I rewatched Wags Carrier Comms video from June 2019. Will you have to program Marshall and Approach frequencies into the radio and be on the correct channel? It did not appear to be that way in the video. I understand that the video was very early in the development process.

Thanks,

Steve

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I asked same question after watching that video, it seems radio settings was set to simple there.

Setting radio/comms to simple in the option section will automatically tune to Marshall or Approach channel when you select from the F key menu.

It radio/comms is set to realistic, you would have to tune those channels manually to get response from Marshall, tower, tanker or the intended responder.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Update: Moved to the "Wish-List" lol. So I guess that means it's no.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Data cartridge implementation should help in loading the aircraft mission radio preset.

With this one can just dial in presets channels radios.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

My impression from the various answers I've seen here and other places is that communication with the carrier will be through the Comms menu > F5 ATC > F1 CVN-74 John C Stennis (or whichever carrier you're talking to) and that is it. Not any different than our current comms with an airfield. No dictinction between Ground control, Tower, Approach or Departure control. No tuning of radio frequencies for various parties within the ship that you are communicating with. Probably a technically difficult, if not overly tedious feature for ED to accomplish. It's a shame though, would've been nice to have had to assign/keep track of various freq's in the ME for publication in the mission brief and then having to tune them in the mission. OH well, small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. But it would have been nice! :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My impression from the various answers I've seen here and other places is that communication with the carrier will be through the Comms menu > F5 ATC > F1 CVN-74 John C Stennis (or whichever carrier you're talking to) and that is it. Not any different than our current comms with an airfield. No dictinction between Ground control, Tower, Approach or Departure control. No tuning of radio frequencies for various parties within the ship that you are communicating with. Probably a technically difficult, if not overly tedious feature for ED to accomplish. It's a shame though, would've been nice to have had to assign/keep track of various freq's in the ME for publication in the mission brief and then having to tune them in the mission. OH well, small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. But it would have been nice! :joystick:
There is certain implementation of this levels of communication in dcs.

I played some missions like the Red flag missions where you would have ATIS, Ground, Tower and Departures/Approach radios communication.

This is all done by mission makers.

Let hope when the Airfield Air Traffic control is implemented by dcs, we would have a full-fledged air traffic control.

So for airfields, you do not have to tune into the ATC channel to speak with them? I just find this a bit weird since they took on the carrier comms as the beginning of a larger project to overhaul the whole communication system.

You should have set frequencies and change radio channels in simulation mode. I hope that is the case.

Thanks,

Steve

FWIW, from looking at the early access manual, I think that at 3/4 of a mile it might be a bit difficult acknowledge the ball call via the radio menu/F5/Stennis menu..

It might just be easier to script it so that if the player is (mostly) wings level, and at 3/4 of a mile, looking forward that it will either happen automatically, or at least be bindable to a key or joystick button..

So for airfields, you do not have to tune into the ATC channel to speak with them? I just find this a bit weird since they took on the carrier comms as the beginning of a larger project to overhaul the whole communication system.

You should have set frequencies and change radio channels in simulation mode. I hope that is the case.

Thanks,

Steve

Not if you are using Easy Communication. If you do not have that box checked then, yes you do have to have the proper radio frequency tuned into the radio you choose to talk to them on. However, there is no distinction between Ground Control, or Tower, or departure/approach control. All of your comms with the field are done on that single frequency.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]