Damage Model (lack of it)

RichardG

Nothing's up apart from old, very rudimentary damage model all DCS aircraft suffer from, making this sim not very fit for guns-only combat scenarios, for the time being at least. It's going to take a while before detailed DM is released and thoroughly tweaked for WWII birds, hopefully leading to similar overhaul for all other aircraft in unspecified future.

That being said, after last year AI tweaks, they tend to abandon damaged planes more often nowadays. For example when I played gunnery tutorial a few days ago, smoking MiG turned to base, only to have its pilot eject a minute later when I was preparing for another pass. Also, if you hit him from higher aspect angles, sometimes you get the pilot himself.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Actual DM for early jets isn't so far from WW2

BTW 50 cals had quite low effectiveness against mig-15, other way around 2x 23mm + 37mm mig-15's armament had no issues agains f-86.

Late versions of F-86 got 20mm cannons upgrade iirc.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Was this plane made by ED, or a 3rd party?

Just wondering if its abandon-ware (3rd party that went out of business), or maybe there's hope ED will improves the damage model.

Also, I have not read anywhere that the WW2 damage modeling is being implemented into any other non WW2 birds. Have you?

It was made by an ED subsidiary called Belsimtek at the time - but it is ED now.

The MiG-15 AI is one of the worst in DCS. Horrible UFO flight model that can rocket upward from a near stall. Near invulnerability. Most others aren't quite so bad. MiG-21 isn't great either.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Just to let you know, you can in the mission editor cause a unit to explode after taking a certain amount of damage. Something like:

Once > Unit Health Lower Than X% > Explode Unit

Play around with the Explode Unit volume, that value is the mass of TNT I think. Too small and it won't kill the plane, too big and you'll have a flying nuclear explosion.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Play around with the Explode Unit volume, that value is the mass of TNT I think. Too small and it won't kill the plane, too big and you'll have a flying nuclear explosion.

giphy.gif

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Just shoot the MiG at its core, if you hit the wings, especially the roots ,it will just produce sparks.

One good burst in the middle of the MiG and all its fuel is gone :), plus the tail is also a good hit...

Just stay away from the wings !

Oh and this works both ways, the MiG cannons have lost effectiveness over time... some sabres can just tank 23mm as if it is nothing, at least the 37 still kills them most times.

Don't even get me started on AI aircraft and the MiG's cannons, especially helicopters..... so infuriating

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I have always had the opposite experience: shots at center mass on AI were largely ineffective, but give me a good line on one of the wings, and I can shred them with very little ammo. The ultimate is getting a pilot kill shot, but with the way the AI flies, it is hard to set up such a shot with a decent chance of hitting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the airplane is not modeled properly. The real MiG-15 was superior in some ways but not all ways. One thing that the MiG lacked was hydraulic controls and a G-suit. In this sim, these AI pilots are pulling some massive G's and magical turns and rocket like climbs. I think the damage model is off as well. It is a Russian company

Your solution is to not play vs AI. Don't even talk about the quality of the module, because except that it has the same name and looks, the AI plane has nothing to do with the module and what you get when you fly it.

It is far from being superior to the Sabre and although closely matched, ask any of the seasoned MiG and Sabre pilots, the Sabre is always the favorite to win.

Oh and the comment about ED being Russian.... hahah, I want you to say that to all the AMRAAM haters and fans of russian modern aircraft, don't think they share your opinion.

AI planes use a Simple Flight Model and unfortunately, there are a couple of AI planes which just over perform.

The AI MiG-15 is part of those planes, but honestly... it is not that bad.... Try fighting an AI F-5(which is not Russian), with you in a F-5 to compare and come back to me ;)

To underline again.... AI planes do NOT equal the modules, that people fly and you will meet, if you go against other people in MP.

If you are playing against actual MiG-15s, you really wanna aim at the center of the aircraft, just a couple of well placed shots in the center and the MiG looses all its fuel, if you miss and hit it center-back... you get engine damage and/or control surfaces damage, if you miss center-forward, you can put holes into his canopy, kill the pilot or if at high altitude, put him trough rapid decompression, which will disorientate him. Shooting the wings, especially closer to the wingtips, deals close to no damage, if any, which is a known thing and it has been said to be improved with the new damage models.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days