Trying to decide

Shortcut

I have the AV-8B, f-18, a-10C, P51 and other aircraft I want to add one more while the sale is on. I'm trying to decide between the F-16 and the F-86 the F-86 seems like it might be more fun to fly. Any insight on the two would be appreciated.

Edited by Shortcut

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Thanks for the quick reply. I really like the P-51 so the F-86 may be a good fit I didn't realize the F-16 was that incomplete.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

I love the F-86, it has a ton of skins available and it gives a lot of insight into the evolution from ww2 aircrafts up to the cold war. If you do purchase it, make sure to buy Reflected’s Yalu Campaign .. it’s a real blast:

1BesDoQ8tk8

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Go for the Sabre if you like vintage aviation. It's an awesome plane and a ton of fun even if you're just flying around, being the gas-guzzling 50's rock'n'roll monster hot rod that it is. That thing moves!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Go for the Sabre if you like vintage aviation. It's an awesome plane and a ton of fun even if you're just flying around, being the gas-guzzling 50's rock'n'roll monster hot rod that it is. That thing moves!

This. I sometimes put on my 50s playlist and just do some low level flying at Mach .9 :D

Yeah! Slick back your hair with Brylcreem, dial in some Little Richard on the wireless, open the throttle wide open and let that bad, bad baby GO. 2 FAST 4 YA! :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I love the F-86. Probably my favourite aircraft in DCS to fly around. But content is a little thin overall. Maybe some day we'll get a Korea theatre but it's not on the horizon for now unfortunately.

Although it's somewhat incomplete now ultimately the F-16 is going to have more to offer long term with all it's functionality, missions, applicable theatres, etc. so if you want bang for your buck it might be the better option. All depends on what you want to get out of the purchase.

Thanks everybody purchasing today.

I have the AV-8B, f-18, a-10C, P51 and other aircraft I want to add one more while the sale is on. I'm trying to decide between the F-16 and the F-86 the F-86 seems like it might be more fun to fly. Any insight on the two would be appreciated.

F-16C

As you own the AV-8B, F/A-18C and A-10C, you know what to expect as the F-16C is more of the same but less complete.

The F-16C pairs nicely with the A-10C being equivalent to the AV-8B and F/A-18C pairing.

Although incomplete ATM the F-16C and it's sensors will be a good fit in DCS.

F-86F

TL;DR:

I enjoyed the F-86F but it's only given a limited amount play time - worth picking up in a sale for something different.

Detail

Early fighter with basic A2A and A2G capabilities.

+ Old LABS bombing system makes it of particular interest. Regular navigation is visual by landmarks/map. ADF navigation is old school but appropriate for Caucasus NDB's, good for non-precision 200ft-1nm approaches.

- No RWR, flares or chaff, so vulnerable to modern IR SAM's, etc.

+/- Easy to learn, hard to use/master

- IMHO needs the Museum Relic DLC campaign to be complete for SP

+/- AI damage model for it's .50 guns was a issue but there have been recent changes in DCS that may have improved that.

• A2G Limited to attacks on structures or 'soft' targets.

- PvP: limited to dog fights / air quake (perhaps aerobatics?)

- Shared User Missions: few and mostly limited to dog fights

- Suffers from DCS's usual visual spotting issues due to lack of radar, TGP's, etc., so expect to use the F10 map in lieu of a GCI to guide you.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

And then the Rail Depot went BOOOOM....and so did my client. Sorry about that, I will add fewer explody devices under the train next time. I guess 400 gas cans was a bit much....lol.

So you bought the F-8F, welcome to the club. I recommend the Korea 1952 server for PvP, great bunch of fliers there. I recommend the Forgotten War 1950-1953 server for PvE, lots to blow up there. And as mentioned above we have custom co-op missions on Saturdays.

Maybe some day we'll get a Korea theatre but it's not on the horizon for now unfortunately.

I'm waiting for buying f-86 (and mig-15 as well) since there's not a suited map, I believe if ED does a 1950 Korea map those two planes would have a boost in sells (even if I'm not sure ED's models are exactly the same versions that fought over Korea).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying it in the free play and really liking it...except the gunsight, need to figure that out. I'd like to get the Yalu campaign but don't want to also have to buy the WW2 assets pack.

This should be a bundle deal...F86 and/or Mig 15 and the assets pack and/or Yalu campaign. That would convince me to buy right now. I don't think the assets pack is even worth the 50% discount.

User made content for the F86 (other than skins) is sparse and there is NO campaign included, contrary to what some have said. Having said all that, if you liked playing MP on the cold war servers, I can see it being totally worth the 50% discount price.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Good purchase:thumbup:

I do recommend the Relic campaign. It is a blast one of the best campaigns for DCS a real adventure. It really teaches you how to fly & operate the jet.:D

I looked at this campaign too, but isn't it using modern assets? Is it a good enough campaign that one can overlook that?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

I have the MiG-15 already and tried out the F-86 in the trial. Man I kinda regret not choosing the Sabre first! It’s a lot better in so many ways. Better cockpit, better handling, way easier gunnery and bombing.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD