Remove NUM5 as recenter view - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #41
fitness88

Reputation power: 15
fitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post

I do not use keys on my keyboard as modifier, I don't want to be pressing keys especially with VR. Also I do all my controller settings in the DCS GUI, not my joystick software.
I set the paddle on my joystick as a modifier. Then I can assign two commands to one button press.
For example - Hat4 Up = gear up. Paddle+Hat4 Up = gear down. I can use that Paddle button then as a modifier on any button. This doubles the amount of actions I can assign to buttons. I personally only use one modifier, in my case the Paddle on my Warthog joystick. So my paddle acts as a modifier, so press it and then a button I have it do one thing, press a button without paddle it does another - at least some buttons I have set up in that manner.

One can also assign a button as a shift register, ie press the button and it is on, press again and it is off. So rather than press and hold, just press it is on and assign commands, press again and it is off and assign different commands. I never really use it in this way myself...

Hope this helps,

I like using the Saitek software it gives me lots of keyboard options but in UI for VRzoom I cannot assign a keyboard key so I have to interact with DCS control directly which I've not been doing till now.
With Saitek software I use a shift state like a modifier, but with shift state you must hold the shift state button down while pressing what ever other command button you want. Is that the way you are doing it, pressing a modifier button while pressing a command button?

Last edited by fitness88; 03-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #42
dburne

Reputation power: 19
dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
Is that the way you are doing it, pressing a modifier button while pressing a command button?
Yes.
Example:
My Paddle on joystick I have assigned as a modifier.
So I can hold paddle in and press another button whilst paddle is held in and it does one thing, press that same other button without paddle held in it does another - whatever I have assigned to it...

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|TM Warthog+7.5cm Extension by Sahaj|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #43
fitness88

fitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the roughfitness88 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes.
Example:
So I can hold paddle in and press another button whilst paddle is held in and it does one thing, press that same other button without paddle held in it does another - whatever I have assigned to it...

Thanks for the follow-up dburne. With joy stick software some prefer using it along with the shift states to map to the keyboard, some like you prefer working directly through the Game controls and using modifiers...but you don't want to do both. Up until UI it all worked well mapping to the keyboard. It's just a few commands that are not able to be keyboard mapped so I'll work it out.
Interesting that some of UI commands don't map to the keyboard?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #44
fitness88

Quote:
Yes.
Example:

Latching a button in Saitek software allows me to toggle on/off VRzoom, but now that I'm flying more in the F-15 than the Mig-29 due to much clearer gauges I don't use it that much. I do agree with you that using it allows for much better view range.

Also VRcenter has an advantage over the kp5 key which I thought did the same thing, but VRcenter just centers the HUD without putting your eye position back to the default position, which is a great thing. So no more kp5.

I just discovered in controls the actual 2 modifier windows that open from buttons on the bottom left of the screen. I'm going to spend some time and see if I want to redo my mapping through the DCS controls.
The thing is with Saitek software I can get a nice graphic of my key mapping and put it into my kneeboard for a cheat sheet until I get it memorized. I don't think DCS has that?

Last edited by fitness88; 03-15-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #45
dburne

Reputation power: 19
dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
I just discovered in controls the actual 2 modifier windows that open from buttons on the bottom left of the screen. I'm going to spend some time and see if I want to redo my mapping through the DCS controls.
The thing is with Saitek software I can get a nice graphic of my key mapping and put it into my kneeboard for a cheat sheet until I get it memorized. I don't think DCS has that?
No unfortunately it does not, I pretty much commit mine to memory as soon as I can. I try and keep regular controls on the same buttons throughout the modules I have to make this a little easier. I used to use TARGET software to do my controller profiles, but have found the DCS control setup menu more than adequate for my needs and prefer to use it now.
It really is just a matter of personal preference...

Note: Be careful though when adding a button as a modifier in the DCS control menu, it allows one to set it to behave either as a modifier ( modifier button held whilst pressing another button), or a shift state button ( press the modifier button once and it changes to the shifted state, press again to change back to non shifted state). In the DCS controls menu , I have on more than one occasion missed this and set my paddle up as a shift button rather than a press and hold button by accident, then find myself pulling my hair out on why that button does not behave LOL.

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|TM Warthog+7.5cm Extension by Sahaj|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #46
fitness88

Quote:
No unfortunately it does not, I pretty much commit mine to memory as soon as I can. I try and keep regular controls on the same buttons throughout the modules I have to make this a little easier. I used to use TARGET software to do my controller profiles, but have found the DCS control setup menu more than adequate for my needs and prefer to use it now.
It really is just a matter of personal preference...

Note: Be careful though when adding a button as a modifier in the DCS control menu, it allows one to set it to behave either as a modifier ( modifier button held whilst pressing another button), or a shift state button ( press the modifier button once and it changes to the shifted state, press again to change back to non shifted state). In the DCS controls menu , I have on more than one occasion missed this and set my paddle up as a shift button rather than a press and hold button by accident, then find myself pulling my hair out on why that button does not behave LOL.

Thanks for the heads up on the shift state v. modifier. In Saitek software there is a mode controller which is top tier, then separate shiftstates for each mode then finally the modifiers.
With Saitek, it's easy to forget sometimes when you first customize a button by 'latching' it thereby making it on till you click again and as a consequence you miss a perfect shooting solution.
Also I think I have too many commands mapped that I never use so I've got to cut back on that.

Last edited by fitness88; 03-15-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #47
Ratcatcher

Reputation power: 10
Ratcatcher has a spectacular aura aboutRatcatcher has a spectacular aura aboutRatcatcher has a spectacular aura about

Shame I didn't find this thread before spending an hour or so trying to deactivate the numpad 5 re center!

Would be nice to see that fixed one day...
Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift CV1 : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : DSD FLT1 : Win 10 64.
Ratcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #48
funkyfranky

funkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of lightfunkyfranky is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcatcher View Post
Would be nice to see that fixed one day...
+1! Please free Num5
Old 05-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #49
Cibit
Veteran

Reputation power: 39
Cibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to all

I have just added a numberpad to a bracket on my left arm rest to use whilst flying in the rift. I have all those keys at my fingertips. However I want to assign options in the UI layer like having number 4 as right mouse button or assign a zoom key etc. Anyway round the fact that you can presently only assign joystick buttons ?

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #50
Zarma

Reputation power: 3
Zarma is on a distinguished road

Still no love with this trouble. Sucks as I use my num5 in many modules as 5 on the in game computer (A10, Ka50, Viggen, M2000)

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 / https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074
Zarma is offline   Reply With Quote