Su-27 Guide Help - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
Gault05

Reputation power: 2
Gault05 is on a distinguished road
Default Su-27 Guide Help

So I've managed to scrape up some $ to buy my first fighter module, the Su-27. But I'm not entirely sure how to properly utilize its systems yet, or how to engage, should a dogfight ensue my way.

Would there be any tips as to how to learn and(hopefully)master this fighter once I'm back to DCS?

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Graphics:MSi Twin Frozr R9 280X 3GB;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+
Gault05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:23 AM   #2
Sryan
Campaign Testers

Reputation power: 5
Sryan is a jewel in the roughSryan is a jewel in the roughSryan is a jewel in the roughSryan is a jewel in the roughSryan is a jewel in the roughSryan is a jewel in the roughSryan is a jewel in the rough

You'll find a 137 page manual for the Su-27 in c:\program files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS\Mods\Aircraft\Su-27\Doc

Santi wrote an excellent guide, although it is not oriented towards beginners, and biased towards PvP.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
jackmckay

Reputation power: 3
jackmckay is on a distinguished road

FC3 Su27 is not right plane for DCS starter. ED tweaks it to be harder comparing to rival F15 which isn't modded long time ago. That's the fact no doubt about it. Starting from radar, missile guidance, missile performance, general and turn performance, artificial drag, damage model, wing break feature.. Su27 is like sensitive flower comparing to F15 which looks like made from meteor and that has nothing to do with real life performance of booth fighters that are very close to each other performance. ED has its own politics and it is not in favor of realism but 'wanna be like' bias and 'power balancing' feature. This are the words from LOMAC/FC1/2/DCS veteran here. At this point of 'target marketing' best choice would be to buy 'overpowered in any aspect' Mirage 2K that can grant you easy kills comparing to any opponent in DCS. If any ED lawyer here says this above is not true don't believe them because they are mercenaries playing along ED politics and not simulation credibility and realism. After all we are talking to the beta releases here so we all are kind of guinea pigs in DCS.

Last edited by jackmckay; 05-16-2017 at 06:41 AM.
jackmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
ZeeMan90

Reputation power: 1
ZeeMan90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmckay View Post
At this point of 'target marketing' best choice would be to buy 'overpowered in any aspect' Mirage 2K that can grant you easy kills comparing to any opponent in DCS. If any ED lawyer here says this above is not true don't believe them because they are mercenaries playing along ED politics and not simulation credibility and realism. After all we are talking to the beta releases here so we all are kind of guinea pigs in DCS.
As I have no means to compare the real world frames to each other, only in numbers, do you have sources for your statements?

I would like to educate myself on that matter.
Corsair Obsidian 750D, Asus Z170-A, i7 6700K, Noctua NH-15DS, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, Corsair AX760, Samsung EVO 850 500GB, Seagate ST1000MDM003, LG GH24NSD1, BenQ GL2450, Win 10 Pro x64, TM Warthog HOTAS, Røde NT-USB, Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω, FiiO E10K DAC-AMP, Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Steelseries QcK, Natural Point Track IR 4 & UTC Mk.II Pro
ZeeMan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Reputation power: 40
Esac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

One of the worst, pointless, biased post ever read.

How many times users of this forum have showed you, proved you how wrong you are about your assumptions of the Su-27? And you keep insisting.

If you are not going yo help Gault05 keep off.

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
kelpie

Reputation power: 0
kelpie is on a distinguished road

The Su-27 can be quite difficult at times (especially the need to constantly trim), but it's still a good aircraft. My personal suggestions for using the aircraft:

Always use terrain (especially mountains) to "sneak" behind an enemy. Don't go head to head unless you have no choice.

First try to use the "O" key (not to be confused with the "0" or zero key), this will allow you to track a targets heat signature instead of using the radar as the enemy won't get an RWR alert. Use the "I" key to activate the radar if they already know you're there.

The R-27ER (in my experience) is normally useless. If you have 2 on-board: fire one, wait a second or 2, then fire the second. You might just get a hit that way.

The best missile the Su-27 has available (in my opinion) is the R-73 heat seeker. The only good Russian radar guided missile in DCS I've seen is the R-77 but it's only available on the Mig-29S.

The only other thing I can say is be prepared to bail out every so often. The engines have a terrible habit of catching on fire after takeoff. The Mig-29 is still able to land with practice but the Su-27 is very hard to even control when this happens.

I hope I helped.

Last edited by kelpie; 05-17-2017 at 10:28 AM.
kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
David OC

Reputation power: 6
David OC is a jewel in the roughDavid OC is a jewel in the roughDavid OC is a jewel in the roughDavid OC is a jewel in the roughDavid OC is a jewel in the roughDavid OC is a jewel in the roughDavid OC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmckay View Post
FC3 Su27 is not right plane for DCS starter. ED tweaks it to be harder comparing to rival F15 which isn't modded long time ago. That's the fact no doubt about it. Starting from radar, missile guidance, missile performance, general and turn performance, artificial drag, damage model, wing break feature.. Su27 is like sensitive flower comparing to F15 which looks like made from meteor and that has nothing to do with real life performance of booth fighters that are very close to each other performance. ED has its own politics and it is not in favor of realism but 'wanna be like' bias and 'power balancing' feature. This are the words from LOMAC/FC1/2/DCS veteran here. At this point of 'target marketing' best choice would be to buy 'overpowered in any aspect' Mirage 2K that can grant you easy kills comparing to any opponent in DCS. If any ED lawyer here says this above is not true don't believe them because they are mercenaries playing along ED politics and not simulation credibility and realism. After all we are talking to the beta releases here so we all are kind of guinea pigs in DCS.
Ive seen great battles between the Su27 and F15 when in close or guns only competitions online, yes the f15 has the advantage with it's radar and amraam's in BVR as it does IRL, looking at the info available, you seem to have more information then most around here it seems, mind sharing where or how you come to these conclusions. Or is it what you just think and want to believe? What is it based off?

ED and third parties build highly technical FM's that do take time to mature (Beta), there just like their little child that needs nurturing to get the feel and behavior just right across the whole flight envelope and this takes time to evolve.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
GGTharos
ED Testers Team

Reputation power: 304
GGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant future

He's just talking.

The things that are correct:

* Su-27 seems to be Yo-Yo's baby and receives attention regularly in terms of FM.
* F-15 lacks the same attention, as you can tell from the pace of updates, and it lacks some parts of the DM - specifically over-g.

Things that are corrections to the post:

* The F-15 matches the -1 schedules nicely - this has been verified a bunch of times by a bunch of people. It is also tuned as well as was possible according to the NASA studies, and actually underperforms in certain places - in top speed under some very specific circumstances (also affects the flanker) and acceleration with two tanks, for example.
* There is no bias. There's business (time assigned to be spent on things) that differ from project to project, and there are FM developers with different skillsets.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Last edited by GGTharos; 05-18-2017 at 07:25 PM.
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
al531246

al531246 is on a distinguished road

Gault05 you're thread has been somewhat derailed but here's something that will help;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1izx70U0Q
Windows 10
Asus P8H61-MX MoBo
8GB RAM
2TB Seagate SSHD
Some cool LED fans that light up
[/spoiler]
al531246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 AM   #10
Gault05

Gault05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by al531246 View Post
Gault05 you're thread has been somewhat derailed but here's something that will help;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1izx70U0Q
I see that it has, and thanks for the link.

Keep this thread back on topic people. Thank you.

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Graphics:MSi Twin Frozr R9 280X 3GB;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+
Gault05 is offline   Reply With Quote