TV3-117 Engine Documentation

AlphaOneSix

I've got some engine manuals for the TV3-117 that may be of interest to some of you. This specific documentation is for the TV3-117MT series of engines (and it from an Mi-17 Maintenance Manual), while the Ka-50 uses the TV3-117VMA. Differences are very minor, the most obvious being the higher horsepower rating of the VMA. In the PDF (which was too big to attach and so I've linked it here), the biggest difference is in Maximum N1 RPMs.

Maximum N1 RPM at power setting:

Contingency: 101.15%

Takeoff: 101.15%

Maximum continuous: 99.0%

Cruise I: 97.5%

Cruise II: 95.5%

Also, the PDF lists the N1 RPM at 100% as 19,500 RPM, but the Russian manual I have is more specific and lists it as 19,537.48 RPM at 100% N1.

Looks like the inlet guide vanes are variable also in addition to the four inside the compressor.

Looks like the inlet guide vanes are variable also in addition to the four inside the compressor.

Yep. The variable inlet guide vanes (VIGV's) and the variable guide vanes (VGV's) are attached to the same linkage and move together. The only difference is that the VIGV's are hollow to allow bleed air to pass through them for heating.

Yep. The variable inlet guide vanes (VIGV's) and the variable guide vanes (VGV's) are attached to the same linkage and move together. The only difference is that the VIGV's are hollow to allow bleed air to pass through them for heating.[/qu

Is that the only deice system for the inlet or does it work in conjunction with another ancillary system.

The rest of the inlet is also heated with bleed air and electric heat elements. Electric elements heat the dust protector fairing front, back, and pipeline, as well as the fairing supports. Bleed air (in addition to the VIGV's) heats the inlet lip, first stage supports, inlet duct surface, and the dust protector trap units.

Also note that on aircraft with mounted dust protectors, the "nose cone" mentioned in the PDF in one of the diagrams, is not installed, that's where the dust protector trap unit (baffles) gets installed instead.

The rest of the inlet is also heated with bleed air and electric heat elements. Electric elements heat the dust protector fairing front, back, and pipeline, as well as the fairing supports. Bleed air (in addition to the VIGV's) heats the inlet lip, first stage supports, inlet duct surface, and the dust protector trap units.

Also note that on aircraft with mounted dust protectors, the "nose cone" mentioned in the PDF in one of the diagrams, is not installed, that's where the dust protector trap unit (baffles) gets installed instead.

Thanks A16,

Most of my experience is on the old Radials where they just dripped some alcohol down the leading edge of the prop to break up the ice, mostly R-985,s -1340,s some 2800 and 3350 time, though I have messed around with some J-75,s - 79,s and a couple of Jumo 004,s. Keep posting the tech data. Do you have anything on airframe? Where did you get your hands on the Technical Orders? Again thank you kindly!.

Congo

Edited by congo

Keep posting the tech data. Do you have anything on airframe? Where did you get your hands on the Technical Orders?

Should we expect a regular influx of info like this?

I wish I could keep posting more info. I work on Mi-17 helicopters, and the information I posted it from our internal training documentation, and from one of our Mi-17 Maintenance Manuals.

The engines and dust protectors are one of the few things on the Mi-17 that is virtually identical to the Ka-50. I'm not sure there is anything else that is really the same. If there is, I'll be happy to post more info.

I was hoping to post info on the autopilot, but I'm not sure what model the Ka-50 uses.

• Like 4

Thanks A16,

Most of my experience is on the old Radials where they just dripped some alcohol down the leading edge of the prop to break up the ice, mostly R-985,s -1340,s some 2800 and 3350 time, though I have messed around with some J-75,s - 79,s and a couple of Jumo 004,s. Keep posting the tech data. Do you have anything on airframe? Where did you get your hands on the Technical Orders? Again thank you kindly!.

Congo

004s? Out of curiosity, which aircraft did you work on with these engines and where?

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...