Full screen query

Dav IRL

Can someone please confirm if I need to hit alt & enter when the sim starts? I play both 1.5 & 2.0.

I am very confused, I never hit alt & enter and my frames are great but am I playing in true full screen or not and if I am not playing in true full screen why has this not been addressed once and for all?

Thank you fellow pilots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

No you are playing in a borderless window, which has the "appearance" of full screen.

To get true full screen, you must use alt+enter. This is true in both 1.5 and 2.0.

Why has not been addressed? Only the devs could tell us why this is the case. Perhaps it will be changed once they are done with everything else, who knows.... I just make it a habit to hit alt+enter each time I get into the DCS main menu.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No you are playing in a borderless window, which has the "appearance" of full screen.

To get true full screen, you must use alt+enter. This is true in both 1.5 and 2.0.

Why has not been addressed? Only the devs could tell us why this is the case. Perhaps it will be changed once they are done with everything else, who knows.... I just make it a habit to hit alt+enter each time I get into the DCS main menu.

Appreciate the explanation, so what is the difference between going true full screen and borderless window? I really wish this was addressed. Thanks again.

Appreciate the explanation, so what is the difference between going true full screen and borderless window? I really wish this was addressed. Thanks again.

The difference is that video options set in the graphics control panel will not be enabled unless you go to "true" full screen. The main reason why I do it is because I use "adaptive V-sync" set in the Nvidia control panel. (Not the ingame vsync).

I have found that I have less noticable stuttering with adaptive v-sync, compared to full v-sync, because adaptive vsync will not try and sync the frames when they are below 60FPS.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

In addition to what OnlyforDCS has already stated, true full screen = DCS totally dedicated to the screen, usually improves fps slightly. Also in VR I found that running in borderless window causes issues with being able to click some selections, true full screen does not.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't see the need to press ALT+ENTER. If I change my resolution, lower of my monitor, and I have the full screen flag checked then I have full screen, if I hit alt+enter then it's windowed. Can you show where we need to press ALT+Enter to have full screen or a link where the devs say this? thanks

I don't see the need to press ALT+ENTER. If I change my resolution, lower of my monitor, and I have the full screen flag checked then I have full screen, if I hit alt+enter then it's windowed. Can you show where we need to press ALT+Enter to have full screen or a link where the devs say this? thanks

It has been well known for quite some time, that alt-enter enables true dedicated full screen. I can see this easily with my system, I have a Logitech keyboard that has a wheel for volume control. Without pressing alt-enter, when I move it to increase/decrease my sound volume, I see my windows sound volume slider pop up on the monitor over my DCS screen. After pressing alt-enter, it will not show up because DCS is now in true full screen. Also fps improves slightly for me after pressing alt-enter.

Also as previously mentioned, running in VR without true full screen enabled ( alt-enter), many items are difficult to select. After enabling full screen with alt-enter, no problem at all.

Don B

It has been well known for quite some time, that alt-enter enables true dedicated full screen. I can see this easily with my system, I have a Logitech keyboard that has a wheel for volume control. Without pressing alt-enter, when I move it to increase/decrease my sound volume, I see my windows sound volume slider pop up on the monitor over my DCS screen. After pressing alt-enter, it will not show up because DCS is now in true full screen. Also fps improves slightly for me after pressing alt-enter.

Also as previously mentioned, running in VR without true full screen enabled ( alt-enter), many items are difficult to select. After enabling full screen with alt-enter, no problem at all.

is this related maybe to the issue I'm having that if my monitor power saving is enabled it kicks in after the time is set? (mine is 5 min.) I don't have this issue with any other sim, but I tried everything, from ALT+ENTER to throwing the monitor in the wall but nothing worked, I just need to disable it before I use DCS or in the middle of a flight I'll have a black screen and I will smash in the ground

is this related maybe to the issue I'm having that if my monitor power saving is enabled it kicks in after the time is set? (mine is 5 min.) I don't have this issue with any other sim, but I tried everything, from ALT+ENTER to throwing the monitor in the wall but nothing worked, I just need to disable it before I use DCS or in the middle of a flight I'll have a black screen and I will smash in the ground

Yeah I had that problem too, I just extended my power saving on my monitor out to a couple of hours ( as I usually never fly longer than that at a time).

Don B

Yeah I had that problem too, I just extended my power saving on my monitor out to a couple of hours ( as I usually never fly longer than that at a time).

well, just tried alt+enter and the volume cursor disappear if I modify it from my keyboard, but the damned monitor keep going black...

well, just tried alt+enter and the volume cursor disappear if I modify it from my keyboard, but the damned monitor keep going black...

Yep, in DCS it will whether running in true full screen or borderless window. Best to either disable or lengthen the time before it does to get rid of the issue whilst flying.

Don B

Just to point out when I hit alt+enter I get half the refresh rate (30) for some weird reason, so it doesn't seem necessary for me to hit alt+enter at all.

Sounds like adaptive V-Sync with half refresh rate is turned on in gfx card settings, though it should engage and clip to 30 only in all below-60 situations. How many fps do You get without it?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Sounds like adaptive V-Sync with half refresh rate is turned on in gfx card settings, though it should engage and clip to 30 only in all below-60 situations. How many fps do You get without it?

The game is in full screen, would be nice to hear from the devs to clarify. I am playing with v-sync on.

Thats very strange, it shouldn't be doing that. Adaptive V-sync will sync your framerate to your monitor refresh speed when your frames are over 60. Below 60 it shouldn't "engage" at all.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yep, I got the description mixed-up, sorry! But the first half of my post still stands - sounds like instead of "normal" V-sync in NVidia options, Dav turned on the "half refresh" one, which would clip him to 30 in full screen, as that's what it's supposed to do. Dav, re-check Your gfx card settings.

For me, V-sync @ 60 is a must - no screen tearing, and, most important, almost no stuttering, which was rampant otherwise.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

For me, V-sync @ 60 is a must - no screen tearing, and, most important, almost no stuttering, which was rampant otherwise.

Same here. The frame rate counter may show 80+, but it feels much better with 60fps v-sync on. LAlt+enter is the first thing I do when I start DCS.

Yep, I got the description mixed-up, sorry! But the first half of my post still stands - sounds like instead of "normal" V-sync in NVidia options, Dav turned on the "half refresh" one, which would clip him to 30 in full screen, as that's what it's supposed to do. Dav, re-check Your gfx card settings.

I didn't turn on half refresh rate. Like I am saying I get 60fps with v sync on and no screen tearing when I load the sim and when I am playing but I heard if you press alt+enter you get true full screen. When I press alt+enter I get half the refresh rate. Definitely not my v sync settings.

I run GEForce Experience for the recording ability. It only advertises that it is on and ready to work when the system is in full screen. Wether I check off "full screen" in config or not, it always starts borderless windowed. I know this because after hitting Alt-Enter, the screen cycle through the black and the GEForce Share option pops up for its little hello.

It starts in windowed mode, every time, no matter how it is set.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I didn't turn on half refresh rate. Like I am saying I get 60fps with v sync on and no screen tearing when I load the sim and when I am playing but I heard if you press alt+enter you get true full screen. When I press alt+enter I get half the refresh rate. Definitely not my v sync settings.

I recently saw a post where you can add some options to the autoexec.cfg, maybe you have it and have this options turned on?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2015809&postcount=24

P.S.

nope, I tried adding options.graphics.maxfps = 30 and with or without pressing ALT+Enter I always have 30fps

Edited by finch
tested

If what you wrote there is true, then this is definitvely indicative of a problem in your graphics card control panel settings!

Right click on your desktop, and go to Nvidia Control Panel settings (or equivalent ATI) and check your 3d and monitor settings. Something in your system is not set up correctly or is not working correctly if your vsync is limited to 30FPS when you enter true fullscreen.