Getting my Rift today!!!

Scooternutz

Cant answer for the other Vr users,But i Quickglance throw the bottom of the rift goggles on my keybord,and have no problem with it,I use a hotas Warthog with throttle and make sures eveything is within reach Before starting to fly:joystick:

Same for me, the Rift has a gap built in underneath the nose area - while somewhat cumbersome one can look around at the keys.

However with my Warthog setup with my main buttons assigned, it is not often I need to do this.

I plan to add Voice Attack here soon for radio commands.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Haha welcome to the club!

Read all the posts and it really never gets old when someone switches to VR.

Hooked myself since I have the Rift it's just pure flightsim awesomness 8)

Had a few sorties today with my beloved Dw190 - I do a tour on the Nevada Map flying SW to NO, checking out the terrain and make some dogfights here and there.

So stoked for the Normandy map to come.

Cheers

Big Q for me though... How is everyone managing keboard input commands with the Rift on?

I understand most cockpit switches are more easily manipulated with the VR but surely there are plenty of other key inputs required??

1) Viacom and Voice attack. Must have!

2) I have "button boxes" set up for most of my other controls.

After a bit of use, I can do cold starts in the A10C and Gazelle without ever peeking, OR touching the mouse!

I like a Mouse Free cockpit environment! megalol.gif

I do it all by feel. You could even set the boxes up in the relative correct position of the cockpit controls!

Now when you reach out, you reach in the real direction. Very cool!

Go for Total immersion!

I still need a butt kicker.

The final piece of the experience.

Remember.......It's only a simulator........It's only a simulator......It's only a simulator..... :D

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

1) Viacom and Voice attack. Must have!

2) I have "button boxes" set up for most of my other controls.

After a bit of use, I can do cold starts in the A10C and Gazelle without ever peeking, OR touching the mouse!

I like a Mouse Free cockpit environment! megalol.gif

I do it all by feel. You could even set the boxes up in the relative correct position of the cockpit controls!

Now when you reach out, you reach in the real direction. Very cool!

Go for Total immersion!

I still need a butt kicker.

The final piece of the experience.

Remember.......It's only a simulator........It's only a simulator......It's only a simulator..... :D

I downloaded VoiceAttack and VIACOM. Don't know how to use them yet. Will read the manuals today. Very interested in the "button boxes." Is this a tactile add on or is in the VR world?

downloaded VoiceAttack and VIACOM. Don't know how to use them yet. Will read the manuals today. Very interested in the "button boxes." Is this a tactile add on or is in the VR world?
For a example, Derek Spears makes button boxes.

Google DSD designs.

I have one of his boxes and it works perfect.

I also made two button boxes using Leo Bonder's bb 32's and a project box from radio shack.

These give me switches, buttons and, most important, encoders!

Encoders are perfect for radios or any other rotary control you need to assign.

If money is no object, Google VR Insight. I have their multi switch panel and love it!

There are the Thrustmaster MFD panels.

Finally, there is the Saiteck panels. These can be used with a software program developed by another member.

I have these as well.

I have 8 control boxes all together!

There is not a single control that I can not assign to something!

This allows a "Mouse free environment" in the cockpit!

I will upload a pic of my set-up tonight to give you ideas.

Hope this helps

Hawkeye

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Not really, CV1 has barely usable resolution, DK1 is next to useless. And out of support soon (if not already).

Better spend this money on Cardboard or something else that uses a smartphone, if you really want to play with VR.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Here some info that really surprised me. I have been using my glasses with the Rift. I can wear them with little issues. They are solid frames. Last night I put the Rift on without my glasses. Everything was much more clear. I am very happy about that.

I looked at the Button Boxes. They are really nice. I also like the fact that the Rift has little slots at the bottom that I can see through.

The critical thing with glasses is what they are correcting for. If you need glasses to see distant objects, then wear them in the Rift. If you need them for close up work, then you will not need them.

Also, if you have the cash, then it might be worth investing in some insertable lenses. I have them, and they are better than glasses, but they can fall out as they're not very well secured. Hopefully, the makers will include diopter correction facilities in later iterations of the Rift.

Another indispensible thing is some kind of cover for the foam padding. You can also buy 3rd party items for that too, which are much more comfortable, and completely replace the standard padding.

The critical thing with glasses is what they are correcting for. If you need glasses to see distant objects, then wear them in the Rift. If you need them for close up work, then you will not need them.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. On my monitor, I always have to wear reading glasses to be able to read anything. With the Rift, no glasses needed at all - very nice.

Another indispensible thing is some kind of cover for the foam padding. You can also buy 3rd party items for that too, which are much more comfortable, and completely replace the standard padding.

Yeah I am going to order the VR Covers as well, they look nice and are getting very good reports.

I also wish Oculus, or someone, offered a slip over cover for the Rift headset. I make do with something I had laying around, but would be nice to have a nice fitted one for when it is not in use. I always leave mine hooked up to the ports so really can't utilize that nice case it came in.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I always leave mine hooked up to the ports so really can't utilize that nice case it came in.

What I did was cut a little notch in the case so I can secure it with the cable coming out of it. I bought a USB extension and an HDMI extension so my cords are really long. I wrap the cords and place them under the elastic case handle. That case is so nice I just had to use it and now I do. At the end of my flying days or evenings, I place the Rift in its cradle, close the case, and leave by my flying rig like a briefcase.

What I did was cut a little notch in the case so I can secure it with the cable coming out of it. I bought a USB extension and an HDMI extension so my cords are really long. I wrap the cords and place them under the elastic case handle. That case is so nice I just had to use it and now I do. At the end of my flying days or evenings, I place the Rift in its cradle, close the case, and leave by my flying rig like a briefcase.

Nice idea, I may have to give that a try - thanks for sharing!

Don B

I will upload a pic of my set-up tonight to give you ideas.

Hope this helps

Hawkeye

Looking forward to seeing your rig..

Iv made a "geek seat" using bodnars bu086 and hooked up some authentic aircraft controls ( a combination MD500 collective and Grumman Intruder Hotas from wrecks/surplus). Both are attached to the Left side of an office chair. I was thinking of making a mouse platform on the chairs Right armrest but reading these forums it would appear most are trying to go mouse free with the Rift?

I really don't want to build a massive sim rig with a tactile switch for everything- I want the simplicity of my All-in-one chair. I can always get another bu086 board and make another box as Iv run out of buttons/axes on the one I have. I thought a simple armerment box and radio box may be a good idea....

As my Rift has yet to arrive, I'm trying to gauge just what is essential (switch wise) and what I can work around without looking 'outside' the goggles- something I imagine detracts from the experience?

I will post what Iv built when I get a chance.

Occulus Rift i7-7700 3.6Ghz 16GB Ram 1080Ti 11GB SSDx2

Looking forward to seeing your rig..

Iv made a "geek seat" using bodnars bu086 and hooked up some authentic aircraft controls ( a combination MD500 collective and Grumman Intruder Hotas from wrecks/surplus). Both are attached to the Left side of an office chair. I was thinking of making a mouse platform on the chairs Right armrest but reading these forums it would appear most are trying to go mouse free with the Rift?

I really don't want to build a massive sim rig with a tactile switch for everything- I want the simplicity of my All-in-one chair. I can always get another bu086 board and make another box as Iv run out of buttons/axes on the one I have. I thought a simple armerment box and radio box may be a good idea....

As my Rift has yet to arrive, I'm trying to gauge just what is essential (switch wise) and what I can work around without looking 'outside' the goggles- something I imagine detracts from the experience?

I will post what Iv built when I get a chance.

I am finalizing my VR chair build right now as a matter of fact. Perhaps it can be of use or give some ideas. Need to update thread with some new pics as more progress has been made, will soon.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178486

I am finalizing my VR chair build right now as a matter of fact. Perhaps it can be of use or give some ideas. Need to update thread with some new pics as more progress has been made, will soon.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178486

Good work! Thanks for the link. That's very similar to my setup and way of thinking- I just don't have VR capability until Santa delivers my Rift!

I'm right with you when you say how satisfying/challenging it is imagining then creating our Gear. I guess I'm a hands on, nuts-n-bolts guy. I hope code writers have similar feelings about their 'creations' even though Though it's not as tangible...?

I'm interested to know how you make an external display of what's going on in VR for someone else to monitor? Could the views on the 2nd screen be cycled through the various positions or manipulated independent of the VR?

Occulus Rift i7-7700 3.6Ghz 16GB Ram 1080Ti 11GB SSDx2

How do we post pics on this forum?? the pic icon above only lets me paste a URL?..

You need to upload to an image hosting site then enter the URL to it.

There are some free ones - Photobucket has been one I have used in the past. But it has gotten to be a PITB to use of late, maybe someone can recommend a better one.

Don B

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Keep looking at these, as I do enjoy flying with my DK2, however still not convinced the resolution will be good enough.

Trying to find somewhere where I can tesT both the Rift and Vive so I can make an informed decision.

No idea how they expect these to take off in mainstream if you can't try them first.

Really don't want to sp no 6 -700 on something if it's not gonna provide the experience I'm looking for.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Good luck with that. There is no place, around here, to test much of anything related to PC gaming.

On that note, I am betting you did not test your Komodo Collective or your Jetseat, before buying them. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm interested to know how you make an external display of what's going on in VR for someone else to monitor? Could the views on the 2nd screen be cycled through the various positions or manipulated independent of the VR?

The left eye view is displayed on the monitor and no you cannot have a different view on the monitor. You can't do that with a second monitor without VR either.

Just got my Rift. First of all, what you have all heard before, I'm blown away by the experience, far exceeds my expectations.

Just a quick settings question. In DCS graphics settings do I still set to my desktop resolution (1920x1080) or is there a different recommended setting for the Rift?

Cheers

Dave

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Congratulations! As for the resolution setting, I have not changed mine. I think the Rift has its own thing going on for that. My pixel density is at 1.5 and all shadows are off. The rest is really up to you AFAIK.

I will not fly with out the Rift. Just found out about the VR Zoom feature. I have it mapped to my pinky button on Warthog so I can keep it pressed while I use the mouse. It just makes it that much better. Sadly the original thread for the Oculus Rift, https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164807, it so big it is darn near impossible to find anything. You will see a lot of bits and pieces threads. There is some great info on the Oculus forums as well.

Try to get your settings to your satisfaction ASAP, turn off that dreaded FPS counter and fly. I have been flying for two weeks without the FPS counter, aside from no kidding testing, and have been just having so much fun.

Set up a hat switch (shifted) to move the view "cockpit camera" up, down, front, and back.

This is just friendly advice. Welcome to a whole new world of flight sim!