Defender Cobra M5 any good ?

Hi all.

Getting back into playing the A10c and after a hotas setup.

I was going to the FCS Hotas setup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThrustMaster-3935075-Thrustmaster-T16000M-Hotas/dp/B01H6KXGDY

But I had have the t16000 before and it was ok, but I don't really want that stick again.

So I was thinking about the defender cobra and the TWCS throttle?

But not sure how good the cobra is?

Thanks for any advice :)

Defender Cobra M5 was a good "entry level" joystick when introduced (in Russia market) in ~2009, but in their last revision (seems this stick was discontinued at end of 2016) was "tuned down", stripped of this original VKB electronics in favor of cheap and generic Chinese electronics, but at least still using contactless sensor in X,Y axis, but analog and not digital like in T.16000M.

The major issue is that his price in Amazon.uk is overpriced about what they used to cost, around 55-60 Euros.

Since M5 was originally released only in Russia and CIS market, very few people use then in Western, seems now the remain of production was "dumped" in Amazon, as sales in Russia became poor.

But will result in a good HOTAS combined with TWCS throttle, with his distinct grip design, with mode switch almost all buttons can be used in 3 different ways.

Baur (BRD) use make a affordable - but difficult to buy - all metal, ball bearings CAM gimbal upgrade for this this joystick:

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=882

As well electronics update:

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=932

Edited by Sokol1_br

i got m5 last summer and didn't like it. then sold it for half price , played only a few hours.

it has sticktion problem despite i applied grease. sticktion alwast annoyed me.

second problem is hand rest area is too big. edge of this platform hurt my whrist very bad.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I bought one last year. Overpriced, buttons feel cheap, and the stick squeaks. Don't go there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

I was about to order then I seen this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/speedlink-airrow-flightstick-black-gc-008-sl.html

Only £10 more as I get free delivery being a forum member :)

I don't know much about it but it can't no worse then the cobra?

I know it got one lass hat then the cobra and I had a t16000 on its own before and had no problem using the A10.

Now I will have the TM throttle as well to help with the hats.

Thank you.

Edited by gothicghost

I was about to order then I seen this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/speedlink-airrow-flightstick-black-gc-008-sl.html

Only £10 more as I get free delivery being a forum member :)

I don't know much about it but it can't no worse then the cobra?

This "Javelin" is Asia Games OEM version of VKB Gladiator, basic differences is use of potentiometer instead MaRS sensor in twist axis, and locked firmware, dont allow change buttons configuration, so the base mode button is limited to change grips buttons (2) and POV HAT, but not base buttons operation.

Better gimbal than Cobra M5 - in fact use a improved version of Cobra M5 gimbal, and use VKB electronics (Njoy32 controller, MaRS sensor in X, Y axes).

But production QC is "Chinese" - like in Cobra M5.:D

If the lack of "tons of buttons" in their KG12-A grip don't bother you, a better option.

KG12A grip is 2 buttons + POV HAT + pinky 'shift' button > 2 physical buttons + 2 virtual using pinky "shift" that can be doubled with mode button > 8 buttons, POV HAT can press other 4 virtual buttons using pinky "shift", but is not affected by mode button = 12 buttons (physical + virtual).

M5 grip is 9 buttons +POV HAT x 3 modes (not applicable in POV HAT and two triggers) = 23 buttons (physical+virtual).

Edited by Sokol1_br

I have thurstmaster thorttle and Cobra M5 .. i really like my cobra (sold off my old saitek x-55)

I love longtravel and my stick is so smooth !! (and i got this one used)

And for my big hands erconomy is spot on. All hats and buttons are easy to reach, very natural.

I may mod electronics , anyone knows if mmjoy will work with mars sensors ?

This is rev3 so chinese board inside now i think.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your M5 is revision 3, don't use (VKB) MaRS but MKZ41 contactless sensor in analog mode, so theoretically no problem for use in MMjoy2 (or other USB controller), but seems by trick do their calibration.

Optionally can replace this sensors with TLE5010/11 to have digital operation, like Arduino for MMjoy2, TLE5010/11 is cheap.

(VKB) MaRS work only in (VKB) Njoy32 controller, due use of proprietary code for digital signal interface.

Edited by Sokol1_br

If the lack of "tons of buttons" in their KG12-A grip don't bother you, a better option.

KG12A grip is 2 buttons + POV HAT + pinky 'shift' button > 2 physical buttons + 2 virtual using pinky "shift" that can be doubled with mode button > 8 buttons, POV HAT can press other 4 virtual buttons using pinky "shift", but is not affected by mode button = 12 buttons (physical + virtual).

M5 grip is 9 buttons +POV HAT x 3 modes (not applicable in POV HAT and two triggers) = 23 buttons (physical+virtual).

Whilst I see this posted a lot, there is a big difference between real and virtual buttons.

TO make this post relevant to this thread, I will compare my experience with the M5 and the T16000M.

The T16000M is a better built stick, but it has 12 wasted buttons on the bottom of the stick, where you need to take your hands off the stick to use them. Not so HOTAS...

The Cobra is a better functioning stick - it has lots of buttons, at your fingertips, where you need them. No amount of shifting can make the t16000M as useful as the M5 - the M5 can shift too, remember, and give me even more virtual" buttons, but I find virtual buttons just add complexity, in the heat of battle, the last thing I need is more complexity in an already complex system.

Basically, despite the lesser quality of the M5, it's still a better stick - it does take time to adjust as it is a very light touch, and I personally find the twist kinda useless, as simply pressing a button will make it unintentionally twist. I am replacing my M5 with my Warthog stick, though (for my secondary rig) as I have a Mongoos on the way.

I think the VKB Gladiator would be an excellent option - once they offer the MCG for it.

Z...

The T16000M is a better built stick, but it has 12 wasted buttons on the bottom of the stick, where you need to take your hands off the stick to use them. Not so HOTAS...

Is easy "migrate" one T.16000M base buttons connections for grip, and use for place a button under little finger that can became a 'shift" for other buttons/HAT, improving this grip usability.

Just an update what I got in the end.

The speedlink airrow and TM throttle.

So far I really like it for a cheao hoats that cost me £110.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

The only problem I've had is with the TM throttle slew controls.

IF I slew diagonal the slew will stop on the a10c and I don't know if that's just my one or its just how it is?

Thanks for help :)