P-51 Axis Setup

BuzzU

I'm just curious what others use for axis settings. This question is for those who use the Warthog controller with no extensions.

Do you use any curve or dead zone? I use straight linear with no dead zone, but wondering what everybody else uses.

Buzz

Roll and pitch are +15 curve for me. Rudder is set to around +20 curve because I hate the way the plane jostles around when I need the rudder while lining up on a target, or even just maneuvering the plane. Throttle is also set to +10 because I don't like the instant jerk when I bring it up or down while flying, and especially landing.

I set curves for all of the other WWII planes but they're all a bit different so it changes from plane to plane for me.

A lot of guys say that they don't use curves at all but I find that hard to believe. Especially in the choppers. I may be a terrible DCS pilot in some people's eyes but I use curves on every module to one degree or another.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

No. You are not the only one. I learned the hard lesson of flying with no curves at all. Btw, to the forum administrators. Would it be possible to set up a few sticky threads on hardware setups? Maybe one for HOTAS axis setup etc. In these threads, people can share their knowledge and experience with different gears and different setups, so that the knowledge base is preserved for any future pilots or those who come back after a while? IL2 websites have a done great job archiving their knowledge base. Even though it wasn't an easy game, but new comers can quickly get up to speed if they follow the instructions from more experienced pilots.

Long Warthog here. No curves at all. Small dead zone in centres, about 3. Works flawlessly. I've said many times around ED forums, at the end Warthog is meant to be used with some kind of extension, it's enhanced by one thousand times.

Using regular short sticks, I don't remember really but I think I was probably using some curves before building my extension. Even a so precise and accurate joystick like Warthog is needs curves when used as is.

Roll and pitch are +15 curve for me. Rudder is set to around +20 curve because I hate the way the plane jostles around when I need the rudder while lining up on a target, or even just maneuvering the plane. Throttle is also set to +10 because I don't like the instant jerk when I bring it up or down while flying, and especially landing.

I set curves for all of the other WWII planes but they're all a bit different so it changes from plane to plane for me.

A lot of guys say that they don't use curves at all but I find that hard to believe. Especially in the choppers. I may be a terrible DCS pilot in some people's eyes but I use curves on every module to one degree or another.

I don't think anyone is a worst pilot because they use curves or not. IMO it's a matter of one's own taste, you need it, because whatever reason, the least being there aren't two pieces of absolutely identical hardware? Does it work for you? Then that's fine.

It's true DCS tries to replicate the real deal to the tiniest detail, and how controls work is also clearly there. But, even using a good enough hardware, for instance my own long Warthog, it doesn't match, and never will, the real controls of every module whatsoever no matter what I could do. Well, maybe I could build a couple or three different extensions to change every time I fly a different moduleeee… eeerrrrrrhhhhh, buuuuutttt, hmmmmm, nope :lol:. I'm quite happy with my current setting, I have to say, and I just try to keep it simple but if I need some tweaking at some point I won't be ashamed of it, that would be stupid I think.

My extension is a PVC, 20cm long one. I think it matches quite well (just by chance) the real 109 stick from what I could see. It works fine in every module until now, WWII are quite good with it, but now with the Spitfire it wasn't enough for that bloody sensitive pitch, so my options were building a new and even longer stick (I thought about it, maybe I do at some point) trying to better match the Spitfire lengthy stick in pitch, but that would ruin the roll axis in a too long stick, or using a curve. At first I wasn't sure but then tried and the curve works perfect, delightfully, and Spit is a joy to ride.

If any of you own a Warthog I would recommend anyway getting or building an extension, it's easily done and will change your control like night and day. But it's not any problem if you have to use some curves, they are there for your comfort and custom control.

S!

P.S.: about the "throttle jerks", well in general, at least with my Warthog and straight input, what I could experience is a quite close to real things I could know response (not warbirds though, of course), don't blame ED for trying to match even the tiniest aspects and quirks of the machine. Personally, I'm happy with those but if you're more comfortable using a curve nothing prevents you from using it.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice