Ka-50 Cockpit Systems overhaul Mod (WIP)

Nero.ger

For me personaly it feelt very loaded especially the Flight path pipper inside the HUD stressed me out.

That's just a western style display, with the HUD/HMD being regarded as a full-time primary flight instrument.;) IRL you'll see the following display in an Apache in Cruise Mode, with all the navigation and sensor/weapon information gathered together, which indeed can be a little loaded felt by some people during intense operations.

sphzsy.jpg

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new version "Beta.15.01.2017"

some small changes:

1)

the "Scales Reject" key now hides the FPM and the middle part of the horizonline to declutter the HUD, especial in hover situations

2)

I remove the MFD-box and put the Screen back in its original place because i was not able to make the box react to light. it looked horrible at night and bugged me :mad:

@LJQCN101

do you have any addition info or a link were i can find out what all the stuff in the Pictrure means? i had a hard time finding anything solid

ka50mod50.thumb.jpg.58fb20f39710cf276c4dd4ab93006f23.jpg

Edited by Nero.ger

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

@LJQCN101

do you have any addition info or a link were i can find out what all the stuff in the Pictrure means? i had a hard time finding anything solid

Hi, you can simply search for TM-1-1520-251-10.

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

HUD-Only version of the Mod now available.

The Shkval screen is as in the Original Ka50 (of course all functions related to the upgrades MFD-Shkval are not available).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WafwTWChLIVjlZODMwbENXTjQ

the 15.01.2017 version is still the newest for the Fullmod

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

• 1 month later...

just saw the mod "in action" and i am ... lets say... astonished by the work he(nero) did.

BUT, for example, if the currently implemented laserwarningsystem of the ka50 is just capable of showing fwd left right and aft , i consider it "unrealistic/not suitable" if the hud shows data of the threat beeing constantly updated Although the actual system is not capable of providing such data ....

in other words ... if you do show stuff on your hud without the nessesary systems(extra computers, cables which connect the additional hardware, additional sensors etc) which provide the nessesary data to show all this stuff - its a no go for me.

sure its handy to make markpoints and put in coords like in the a10 but the dcs version is not capable of it.

Its also useful to give it a radarwarner or a tvv or make it able to shoot mavericks ... it sure might be possible to do that in reallife BUT NOT without any hardware/system modification on the actual helikopter.

Therefor i consider it - personally - the same thing like making the f15 capable of firing aim154 (easy to mod).... it sure can be done with the reallife f15, BUT only if you heavily modify the plane with radar, cables, hardpoints, screens etc etc ... afaik - it never has been done and therefore i - personally - would not allow it on MP servers.

others might think different but i for myself would not allow that mod on a MPserver unless i could force all people to use the same thing. - just my2cent, no argueing needed-

Besides that: REALLY ****ING AWESOME WORK ... i would love to see your skills and work beeing implemented in different versions of planes/helikopters wich exist in reallife and may be simulated here in future dcs modules ... for example a different version of the ka52 based on real data and implemented as a different aircraft in the missions which then may act as a force multiplier.

ever thought about opening up a small team and actually make a module ? :music_whistling: ... i would buy it ;)

i hope i did not piss off people here :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

^

from the earlier posts. he seems to be aiming for integrity check pass.

I only did a quick read of the earlier posts plus the user manual. He claims that his research was based on some Ka-52 stuff... Not sure how he got his hands on that. He did also say that information used in this mod are information that are readily available. Integrity checks shouldnt be an issue so far.

I'm up for supporting this mod. It gives me an ease of life experience. I'm only in it for the speed indicator being available on the HUD when shkval is on (I'm still hoping for the bearing indicator as well). Anything else is cherry on the top.

thanks for the praise :)

;3069982']

BUT, for example, if the currently implemented laserwarningsystem of the ka50 is just capable of showing fwd left right and aft , i consider it "unrealistic/not suitable" if the hud shows data of the threat beeing constantly updated Although the actual system is not capable of providing such data ....

ok how to explain it best.

First: the LwR-HUD-Display does not show anything that is not available.

so imagine you are heading '000'.

The laserwarner goes on and shows FRONT and RIGHT. Then the system simply assumes that the threat is coming from 45°

it then "locks" that in so that if you turn around it will allways point to 45 deg.

if you would fly past the emitter and it would now be at 90 deg. the system will still show you a bearing of 45. it will continue to do so unless you press the "reset" button on the LwR panel.

also the maximum accuracy of the display is still 45 deg, because there are only 4 sensors and the only DATA to base calculations on are Heading and the 4 lights on or off. the turning of the Arrow is soley based on the change of your own heading

and even if i wanted to make it more accurate, i could not because the ka50-binaries only give out 4 direction lights and not a direkt bearing.

And that is why it all passes integrity check. everything is just data that exists shown in a different or more organized way (and a shitload of math)

edit:

sure its handy to make markpoints and put in coords like in the a10 but the dcs version is not capable of it.
it is, its the NAVTGT function, i think its the Left colum button 3 or 4. lets you type in coords and see them on the ABRIS. or you can grab them from the SHKVAL or SLEW your SHKVAL to such a point.

its just that the usage of this function is clunky as hell

Its also useful to give it a radarwarner

yea i tried it but DCS rightfully refused to load with very helpfull Message "loading failed for unknown reasons" ;)

Edited by Nero.ger

I only did a quick read of the earlier posts plus the user manual. He claims that his research was based on some Ka-52 stuff... Not sure how he got his hands on that. He did also say that information used in this mod are information that are readily available. Integrity checks shouldnt be an issue so far.

this ka-52 thing will haunt me to the end of my life (or the arrivale of the KGB :-D )

my ka-52 "resarche material" was a google picture search showing a cockpit with MFCD's plastered all over the place.

in reality the mod is more of a "how much stuff can i do with the DCS lua engine" :)

well and the modified HUD so i dont get motion sick all the time (and the 'stand alone HUD' is the only thing i personaly use btw, i dont even own the cougars to make use of an MFD :-D )

(I'm still hoping for the bearing indicator as well)

i cant give you that because i found no way to know where the SHKVAL is looking. this is an example of "the data is there but DCS does not give you access to it"

Edited by Nero.ger

Thanks for making this mod Nero as it adds a new lease of life to the old Ka-50, up until last night i hadn't played with the "Shark" in at least a couple of years. Haven't quiet got the hang of all the new functionality that your mod offers but it certainly adds a new "angle" to operating the Shark.

Maybe once 2.5 arrives with collidable trees and better LOS modeling i might just start getting back into the helicopters again :thumbup:.

Edited by Gunnergolly

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

its been a while since i toched the MOD, the TGT/MRK Button switches between NAVTGTs from the PVI Database and Coordinats that exist only in the Mod.

The Data function lets you access Stuff like Wind-Directions. It was ment to serve to provide an additional either direktly by the Mission developer or you could write your own Pages in LUA to be displayed. Basacly just some Pages with Text and Pictures.

The Development is on hold because there where some Basic issues i could not resolve (like, where is the shkval looking or the reaction of elements to lighting)

as for the heading indicator, you are speaking of the one on top of the HUD right? that gets covered up by the SHKVAL slew indicator?

• 1 month later...

Hi Nero,

I do not know how to make it clearer than Arkroyale048 did... But let's try again :-)

When Shkval is caged, the upper part of the HUD shows a heading indicator (as shown in red on Arkroyale048's screenshot). When Shkval is uncaged, that indicator is replaced by another one centered on 0 degree with 30 degrees left and right (I guess but not sure). Would it be possible to get the heading indicator still be displayed when Shkval is uncaged ?

I do hope the explanation is crystal clear that time :-)

well ok i totaly missunderstood what you were refering to :-D

and since 2 people like this to change i might as well do it.

so Replace the 2 Files in the link below and you will allways see the HeadingTape at the top instead of the Shkval thingy

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0WafwTWChLIcHQ3UlEzZFJxR0E?usp=sharing

• 3 weeks later...

At first I was a little skeptical but wow, this is really cool. Excellent work and thanks for taking my beloved Ka50 in an interesting experimental direction.

I wonder; there is a very useful mod that I've recently started using which displays laser temperature on the HUD (or some number which represents laser temperature). Would it be possible to take this data and have it displayed on the MFD?

Also, do you foresee the ability of having clickable buttons around the frame? I don't have that many buttons available and I'd rather not have to try and map that many to my keyboard.

Cheers!

Quick question: How do i get rid of the text in the Shkval? http://imgur.com/a/rAiNw

this is indeed a strange bug, does it appear directly after start? or did you do something bevor on the MFD?

I wonder; there is a very useful mod that I've recently started using which displays laser temperature on the HUD (or some number which represents laser temperature). Would it be possible to take this data and have it displayed on the MFD?

Also, do you foresee the ability of having clickable buttons around the frame? I don't have that many buttons available and I'd rather not have to try and map that many to my keyboard.

Cheers!

1)

LaserTemp is only available in the HUD as far as i know and i saw no connection between laser Temp and usage/failures. so i did not implement it in the HUD.

2) Buttons... one of my "holy grails"..... to add clickable buttons one would need to edit the Cockpit-EDM-File, which is not possible or not 'legal'

so far i found no work around :(