2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

What is hinted new plane?

in today's news it states there's a new plane to be released this year. Any ideas? A phantom,thud, corsair2 . I really hope it's something iconic. Not some obscure third world trainer . Give us some Vietnam and Arab wars era love ????????

I only say one thing. I bet the new aircraft to be announced is the AH-64 Apache.

I really do hope so.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

AH-64 Apache

That's where my money and hope is. The most iconic western attack helicopter of the last 4 decades. And I would be more than happy with the A variant.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

They said something about brains melting, so I'm sticking with the Boulton Paul Defiant until proven otherwise.

You have to admit there would be a meltdown if that's the eagerly awaited aircraft...

Oh please, that thing actually shot a few planes down - it'll be a Blackburn Roc, obviously!

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Here's my 2c. I think F4 Phantom for the following reasons. First, is there another aircraft that could be as popular, to the point of bringing in lots of new people from outside the DCS pool we have now? I don't think so. When was the last F4 simulator done? Chuck Yeager's Air Combat in 1991? The Apache would be awesome for sure and I hope they do it soon, I just don't think it would have the massive broad appeal the F4 Phantom would overall. So many options within the DCS World we have now let alone a SE Asia map or various others if we ever see them. It just makes good business sense from my POV.

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

My bet is Me262. This is clearly a milestone:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=126712

Check to Mudspike AMA Matt interview

Q: Is there hope for an F-4 Phantom? If so, would it be off the mark wishing that the developer is Heatblur using the multi-crew experience and technology created building the Tomcat?

A: The Phantom is such a legendary aircraft that we will certainly simulate it. For now, we already have another aircraft (an eagerly awaited one) to work on after the Viper.

Q: What are plans for DCS WWII after the P-47 and Me-262 have been completed?

A: The P-47D is far along and will be released at a completed state in Q1 2020. However, new World War II assets such as the completed A-20 and Ju-88 will be released this year. After the P-47D will come the Mosquito. We are still collecting the necessary data to correctly simulate the Me.262 and until we have enough granular detail we will not start development. In parallel with the new units, we are working on some new World War II maps that we will announce soon. Quite a lot is happening on the World Word II front.

So it's not F-4 phantom, AH-1 cobra, P-47, Mosquito and Me.262

Edited by Antartis

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Intel core I7-8700K 3.70Ghz

Ram g.skill f4-3200c16d 32gb

Evga rtx 2070

Ssd samgung 960 evo m.2 500gb

Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944

Combined Arms

A-10C, Mirage-2000C, F-16C, FC3

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

WW2 B17?

4th generation Russian jet, Mig 29? Su27?.

The B17 was mentioned in the DCS WW2 Kickstarter and would be a milestone and hugely complex. I can’t think of anything that’s been talked about, at all possible and modern that fits those criteria. If they have access to the data to make a study level Russian 4th gen jet that would fit, but I thought that due to Russian government restrictions that was impossible?

it got banished to chit chat

Well, since it has absolutely nothing to do with DCS at all icon_redface.gif

Thanks for pointing it out to me fsgrin.png

I only say one thing. I bet the new aircraft to be announced is the AH-64 Apache.

My wild guess as well... they've been talking about adding one since the very days of LOMAC. And it is one of the assets I'd say is eaglely awaited.

BTW, I know, totally OT, but:

Can't tell you ED guys apart anymore at glance unless I take a second look since you now all have the same avatar pic... where's your individuality gone to? rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I came to see who was going to the Flying Legends airshow, but should have known better, that it would just be pages of endless speculation on this planned module...

Get enough speculation every day on the BBC news channel, but since everyone else has had a go - I did also originally think about the Apache, but then remembered the B-17 and that this would actually be a milestone, Although you could say the same about the AH-64, if it has a fully operative AI WSO or pilot as that would be the first DCS helicopter with such.

I'd lay more odds on the B-17, though.

PS - I just remembered a comment made in one of Wag's videos referring to thoughts about a tanker - so could be an MRTT! :D

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

If, as has been suggested, it's DCS F-15C to finish the teen series, and then the teen series is finished, I wonder where they go with fast movers after that ?

Seems like they've hitched their wagon to a 'Blue' tractor, but it doesn't sound like the F-4's high on the list (they started it then dropped it), so where to after all the sexy US fighters are built ?

{Does make you wonder though - If we've got the Mi-8 (derivatives of which are still in service) and are about to get the Mi-24P (Derivatives of which are still in service), how strong can the prohibition on developing modern Russian aircraft be ?

The Su-27S is no more in service than the Mi-24P (in that 'yes' the airframes are, but everything inside them has been modernised and replaced. There won't be any paper map systems fitted to Mi-24 in Syria at the moment, and I don't expect there's any original N001 radars in the remaining Su-27SM that are in service now [certainly not the SM2/SM3/Su-35S] ).}

Cheers.

I assume they keep putting off the Phantom due to the multicrew aspect. They want to get that working solidly in another module first, one where it's not absolutely required to use the module in combat (so, the Huey, as they've recently re-promised). They may also, quite rightly, not like the Jester solution and are looking for another way to deal with operating it single person.

My guess for the mystery module is the Eurofighter. Surely there's nothing so top secret about them that they can't be reasonably modeled, right? We already have an even newer plane in the sim, the JF-17.

Other guess/wish is a full-fidelity Flanker or Fulcrum. We really need a full-fidelity modern Russian fighter.

Edited by AdmiralQuality

I assume they keep putting off the Phantom due to the multicrew aspect. They want to get that working solidly in another module first, one where it's not absolutely required to use the module in combat (so, the Huey, as they've recently re-promised). They may also, quite rightly, not like the Jester solution and are looking for another way to deal with operating it single person.

Adequate communication is an absolute necessity in the F-4, even more so than the F-14 (and it is very necessary there)

Adequate communication is an absolute necessity in the F-4, even more so than the F-14 (and it is very necessary there)

Sure. And is a full screen wheel interface driven by your head angle that keeps you from seeing anything adequate? I know I can't stand it. (The F-14 is a great module but until I find someone to fly it with it mostly just sits collecting dust as I can't stand interfacing with or listening to Jester. This also makes it unsatisfying for offline play, not that I'm really into that myself but I know lots of others are.)

I don't know, but I suspect ED might not want to go this route on a Phantom II or any other aircraft where communication with the other guy is vital. (As opposed to the Huey, where you don't need the other guy to do most things, so no such overbearing interface is requited.)

Again, just a guess. But that's what I'd be thinking about if I were them.

Edited by AdmiralQuality

I was thinking about this module this morning and I am really doubting that pretty much any aircraft would be considered a 'milestone' in ED's developing history - multi-position aircraft such as B-17, AWACS or MRTT perhaps excepted - but there is something that has been talked and speculated about, and even information requested, which is armour.

So I'll back a DCS: AFV module - and the way this sim has gone, it's bound to be American, so DCS: Abrams, probably.

Though it could be a weather engine, I suppose - but whatever it is I'll not sit in the edge of my seat - too much current module learning, practising and execution for that. Then when it comes I can say "oh really? How nice..." :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I think we can assume it's a modern jet. Because they say it's complex, and because Wags changes the subject to it every time someone asks about the F-4, which I would imagine must be their most requested aircraft. They've also said it's highly requested, so that's why I think only a Eurofighter or full-fidelity re-dos of the Fulcrum or Flanker would fit.

I'd much rather have an older jet, if not a Phantom then something from the Century series, particularly the F-104 and F-105. But I don't think any of those are as complex as modern fighters with pages upon pages of avionics interface, so I doubt that's what they're getting at.

I'd love a bomber too, or even a transport, but again, they seem to bring this up when people request the Phantom, and those wouldn't seem to be good substitutes for one. A pickup truck is a poor consolation when you were hoping for a Ferrari.

If I were ED I'd make some effort to back fill some of the FC3 ships to high fidelity. If I was a big fan of the MIG29/SU27 I'd be disappointed that this far along there is no hifi version of those planes.

I'm new to DCS so still overwhelmed with what I have (F86,F5,F18,Spit, Stang,109,190A/D) but eventually I want to turn my attention to those planes and a hifi model would be great.

If I were ED I'd make some effort to back fill some of the FC3 ships to high fidelity. If I was a big fan of the MIG29/SU27 I'd be disappointed that this far along there is no hifi version of those planes.

I'm new to DCS so still overwhelmed with what I have (F86,F5,F18,Spit, Stang,109,190A/D) but eventually I want to turn my attention to those planes and a hifi model would be great.

An aircraft that I wanted with high fidelity would be the Su25. :smilewink:

I think we can assume it's a modern jet. Because they say it's complex, and because Wags changes the subject to it every time someone asks about the F-4, which I would imagine must be their most requested aircraft. They've also said it's highly requested, so that's why I think only a Eurofighter or full-fidelity re-dos of the Fulcrum or Flanker would fit.

I'd much rather have an older jet, if not a Phantom then something from the Century series, particularly the F-104 and F-105. But I don't think any of those are as complex as modern fighters with pages upon pages of avionics interface, so I doubt that's what they're getting at.

I'd love a bomber too, or even a transport, but again, they seem to bring this up when people request the Phantom, and those wouldn't seem to be good substitutes for one. A pickup truck is a poor consolation when you were hoping for a Ferrari.

The F-104 would be beautiful, but the engine sound would have to be recorded from the real aircraft. His sound is very beautiful. The most beautiful of all fighters.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.