Casnnot Install DCS BIOS

Hello

I am brand new to DCS and DCS Bios. I have been using DCS Panels for my Saitek on IL-2 but it does not work for DCS. DCS Panels cannot find DCS BIOS. So install DCS BIOS I go to the Wepage. My DCS install is there however some of my modules are not.

When I click the 3 checkboxes in DCS Connection

1. appending line: BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]];if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]

error while generating new Export.lua content: CreateFile C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua: The system cannot find the file specified.

2. error: could not create file C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-Autostart-hook.lua: open C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-Autostart-hook.lua: The system cannot find the path specified.

3. error: could not create file C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-LuaConsole-hook.lua: open C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-LuaConsole-hook.lua: The system cannot find the path specified.

I gotta tell you, I understand things generally do not work perfectly. But I was really let down by this manual that implies it is going to be detailed and walk me through step by step. Eerything will be answered. Immediately this was not true. When downloading I see THREE files DCS-BIOS-Hub-

Setup-v0.8.1.31.msi,

Source code (tar.gz),

Source code(zip)

I would assume the last 2 are for developers but maybe they are not? It would be nice to at least mention these as needing to be ignored? Then again maybe I shouldn't ignore them. I have no idea. I especially love this line:

"If your DCS installation is not shown above, you can manually add the following line to your Export.lua to enable the Virtual Cockpit Connection:

BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]];if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]"

Oh.

OK.

What?

Again I am a 30 year sim vet, so I understand we can sometimes leave someone new in the dark with our computer jargon.

Anyway, Please help a brand new DCS pilot get over his 1st of many teething problems

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

Hi Fang,

thanks for reporting this.

I understand that error messages like these are especially frustrating if the manual suggests that everything should Just Work.

Well, the manual is right -- it should work. Unfortunately, while cleaning up the code, I managed to break the error handling logic for the case where two directories inside the DCS profile directory do not exist yet.

Please try v0.8.2, that should fix the issue.

Thanks to your feedback I also added an explicit mention of the installer's file name to the documentation.

The line about manual editing of the Export.lua file is meant for advanced users who may have installed DCS by other means than the official installer (e.g. using the DCS Updater on the command line) so the DCS-BIOS Hub cannot find the installation directory and cannot provide the automatic setup. These users would know what to do with this information.

You have picked both a good and a bad time to get started with DCS-BIOS and DCS Flightpanels. Good because I have just been able to restart DCS-BIOS development after I had to take a break for two years (v0.8.0 is a major rewrite and was released a week ago).

Bad, because that means that some things may break, but I will try to fix those as fast as I can.

The next problem you will run into is that DCS Flightpanels is looking for a bunch of files in C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\doc\json (that's were DCS-BIOS v7.x placed them) but these files are now located in C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\control-reference-json

You can change that path in the DCS Flightpanels settings.

If that does not work (IIRC someone had problems with Flightpanels not remembering that setting a few days ago), try copying the .json files from C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\control-reference-json to C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\doc\json.

Unfortunately, I don't own any of the Saitek hardware so I am not an expert on DCS Flightpanels.

The new DCS-BIOS release includes a change that will enable DCS Flightpanels to discover the location of these files automatically once it is updated to do so.

Best regards,

Ian

Ian;4090180']Hi Fang,

thanks for reporting this.

I understand that error messages like these are especially frustrating if the manual suggests that everything should Just Work.

Ian

Thank you for your reply Ian! I am gonna try that today and see what happens. I really appreciate your understanding, it definitely makes a new user feel welcomed!

I know about bad timing let me tell you... lol. When they released the F-16 it happen to coincided with my paycheck and a sale so I decided to make the big leap to DCS. I have been most recently doing Il-2, but I always knew I would be making this my 2nd primary sim.

All that being said, good user mods and no responses in the forum have been my biggest fear.

So far the DCS community hasn't let me down

Thank you so much for adding to the sim community!

Edited by Fang333333

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot to update. The newer version works, connected no problem. I had issues clearing out the error log in DCSPanels due to administration rights in Windows (Apparently my computer controls me, not the other way around). I cleared the DCSpanel error by renaming the original log and creating a blank notepad saved under the the correct errorlog name.