Chuck's F-14B Tomcat Guide

Charly_Owl

Hi folks!

The F-14B guide is finally here. Enjoy!

Link: https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/f-14b/

As stated in the disclaimer, please take note that this document has been created for recreative purposes only and cannot be used for training or real life flying. All the information within this document is taken from public documentation (i.e. Heatblur F-14 Wiki) and non-official tutorials (player-made videos on Youtube) only.

I wanted to thank the Heatblur team for their awesometacular work; the Tomcat is nothing short of a stellar product and their F-14 wiki has to be one of the best sources of public information I have ever seen. I also wanted to thank Jabbers in particular for the incredible amount of effort he put to create his video tutorials. The incredible amount of research and effort that went into it is self-evident and being the “first” to come up with detailed tutorials is always a hard and tedious task.

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi, I must say that Im gladly surprised that you have finally been able to write this ... your Guides are the best .. thank you so much and I sincerely hope that you wont get into trouble for this :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks a great deal.

Your guides are a tremendous assets in understanding and cutting the learning curve for these modules. Oftentimes easier to grasp with your illustrations.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Well Merry Christmas. Thank you Santa Chuck :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Hi, I must say that Im gladly surprised that you have finally been able to write this ... your Guides are the best .. thank you so much and I sincerely hope that you wont get into trouble for this :)

What more can one say? Thank you Chuck!

Thank you Chuck !

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Wow Chuck, thank you! Christmas in August!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I sincerely hope that you wont get into trouble for this :)

I did a bit of research and asked a number of people in the know. The consensus was that:

• Writing a guide based solely on Heatblur’s wiki and other vanilla “open source” material does not pose a security threat as long as what I know about the F-14 comes from unofficial, unclassified sources only (which is currently the case).

• If someone had access to classified F-14 tactics manuals or OEM data, this person could not honestly separate in his own mind what he knows as coming from unofficial sources or classified documents.

• I haven't been exposed to anything classified or restricted that is remotely related to the Tomcat or that may have some “crossover” to the Tomcat, therefore I should be "clean".

• None of the stuff I wrote about comes even close to the "classified line" in terms of operational doctrines and tactics, which I deliberately stayed away from. A document providing detailed explanations on stuff like how to defeat missiles, notch, perform electronic warfare, plan a mission, etc. could cross that line, which is why I made sure to refrain from going into that level of detail.

• The bottom line is that if I focus on how the sim works and NOT on how the real aircraft works, I should be in the clear.

Awesome!! Thank you very much Chuck! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Chuck you're the man. Thank you for all of your hard work in putting this together!

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Someone sticky this! :thumbup:

...and give this man a medal! :flowers::captain:

P.S the flower is there till we get a proper medal.....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Glad you worked out your way to avoid getting thrown into Folsom state penitentiary for having the temerity to write a guide video game - flight simulation - for the use of.

It's already been of much use in the first five minutes, namely spoiler switch. Instead of switching it down to check spoiler and throttle actuation, then clicking it off. I learned purely from your guide that having it flicked up to both upon landing would be advantageous to alighting from the aircraft safely at the end of a long flight.

Much more meat to digest yet.

Cheers Chuck.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.