Flaming Cliffs Manual

JimMack

Why not include a hard copy of the manual like most other game publishers do instead of having us make separate purchases months after the game goes gold? Why not have two versions of packaging with or without the manual. Include the cost iof the manual in the add on. Or is that to difficult to do? Please let me know what everyone thinks. I am good for the extra cash for a version of Black Shark with a hard copy of the manual without typos in english.

There have been no sims released in the last few years that have had the kind of manual we got years ago with the likes of the Microprose sims. Even the Falcon fanboi's felt silent after years of criticising Ubisoft and ED about the lack of a manual with Lock On when Flacon 4: Allied Force also shipped without a manual. IIRC there was a discussion years ago about the size of packaging, for Europe at least where there was some kind of legislation to make packaging more enviromentally friendly so games went to DVD style packaging like console games I don't know if that's true but it was talked about years ago when games switched to plastic DVD boxes. Aside from that the shops will want DVD packing so they can fit more games on the shelf as oppossed to the old days of big eye catching boxes.

I'd love to see a return to the old glossy manuals we used to get but can't see that happening so it's good that ED have come up with a way to get a hard copy and good that sim friendly online shops like GoGamer and Simware are stocking it. I probably would have bought one but I already gave our office colour laser printer a thrashing months ago :D

• 2 months later...

trying to read thru a pdf or computer manual is no comparison to sitting on the toilet learning weapons delivery techniques while doing a little mud moving of your own.

think of it as good time management........:megalol:

and a hard copy gets read and not just looked over when needed, imho.

• 1 month later...
trying to read thru a pdf or computer manual is no comparison to sitting on the toilet learning weapons delivery techniques while doing a little mud moving of your own.

think of it as good time management........:megalol:

and a hard copy gets read and not just looked over when needed, imho.

I just got my copy last week, Its really a lot faster for reference (in case you forget something) then going to the PDF or trying to dig up your notes...

I like the spiral set up, it saves the manual from getting damaged and its easy to handle...

Good job ED !!!!!

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This I feel is really esential to have if you're a Lock On person...

I actually lost my first copy while on a bus going to work in NYC...

I found that just couldn't be without it...there's allways something that I've forgotten and have to look up.. I don't like haveing to stop and leave the game to look it up.... So I ordered another copy....That's one more problem solved...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• ED Team
When I saw this topic revived, I thought that there might have been some word on a Black Shark manual.... guess not:cry:

The Black Shark manual is being prepared and is currently an "active" document as new features are added and implemented. It will be larger than the Flaming Cliffs manual as the Ka-50 can be flown as a study sim (starting on ramp), or from the take-off point, if you do not want to go through the extensive procedures for a cold start (see videos).

Jim

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

I guess the interesting question here is, if the BS manual will as well be available as a printed hardcopy.

I suppose the decision has not been made yet, just wanted to express my hopes...

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

A more interesting question is will it be one volume or several :

- a 'Game' manual with general info on weapons/units in the game, method of employment, general advise for beginners on basic systems and tactics etc (as for FC manual)

- a manual for the ABRIS

- a detailed manual for the helicopter itself (description of systems, startup procedures, programming the flare dispenser etc. etc.)

Cheers.

A more interesting question is will it be one volume or several :

- a 'Game' manual with general info on weapons/units in the game, method of employment, general advise for beginners on basic systems and tactics etc (as for FC manual)

- a manual for the ABRIS

- a detailed manual for the helicopter itself (description of systems, startup procedures, programming the flare dispenser etc. etc.)

Your guess is very close. Expect a HUGE manual, Chizh said that only the ABRIS part is over 100 pages.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I hope that the manual will also extensively cover tactics of helicopter warfare.

I have seen this in the last few years multiple times that manuals explained every knob and function of the helo/aircraft/submarine of a sim, but failed to tell the player what he is supposed to do with it. While many of us have a general understanding of helicopter warfare, it is especially punishing for the newbies to get into a sim.

Also I guess that the operational doctrine of russian helos is quite different than the western one most of us are used to, so a in depth discussion of the employment of the Ka-50 would be useful for all of us.

The russian helo doctrine of the "flying BMP" covers the great era of the Mi-24. The initial Ka-50 project has been designed considering the drawbacks of the flying BMP. It is meant to fly in 4-ship wing low level using terrain and tree masking and fire ATGM at stand-off range before being detected. The wing has datalink to transmit target data between helos, the Shkval komplex provides stand-off target identification and aiming. The Vikhr is the weapon that makes stand-off attack possible. However the combat debut of the Ka-50 in Chechnya in 1999-2000 has proved that this conception is hard to achieve good results in complex landscape and the couple Ka-50s have been almost unable to perform indipendant target search, identification and destruction. That's why they have been supported by a specialy modified Ka-29 as a targeting platform and combat controller. This somehow proves wrong the single seat helo doctrine because a Ka-50 pilot has dificulties in target aiming in complex terrain and almost zero capabilites in the night and has forced the developement of the two-seat Ka-52. It has also has the Shkval complex but it features night capabilites as well. The latest doctrine of the Kamov combat helicopters is a wing of 1 Ka-52 and 3-4 Ka-50- the 52 mainly serves a wing controler but it retains full(and even better) attack capabilites. Thus the commander flies the 52 and depending on the tactical situation decides whether to provide targeting for some of the 50s or to attack in his own.

Despite the Mi-28N is now in serial production as the main Russian Army attack helo the Ka-50/52 will also go in small serial line(10-15 helo in proportion 1:3) for Spetznaz support in special counterterrorist operations. IMO the Kamov helos will be more busy than the Mil's, I hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

If I may, I'll say one more thing regarding the manual; I dont care if its 20 manuals, or 1 ginormous manual, I would pay for a hardcopy. I could never understand how people can read from a monitor for any length of time. If it is economically unfeasible to produce hardcopies, I will undoubtedly be printing a copy at my local print-shop from the electronic version.

• 1 month later...
The russian helo doctrine of the "flying BMP" covers the great era of the Mi-24. The initial Ka-50 project has been designed considering the drawbacks of the flying BMP. It is meant to fly in 4-ship wing low level using terrain and tree masking and fire ATGM at stand-off range before being detected. The wing has datalink to transmit target data between helos, the Shkval komplex provides stand-off target identification and aiming. The Vikhr is the weapon that makes stand-off attack possible. However the combat debut of the Ka-50 in Chechnya in 1999-2000 has proved that this conception is hard to achieve good results in complex landscape and the couple Ka-50s have been almost unable to perform indipendant target search, identification and destruction. That's why they have been supported by a specialy modified Ka-29 as a targeting platform and combat controller. This somehow proves wrong the single seat helo doctrine because a Ka-50 pilot has dificulties in target aiming in complex terrain and almost zero capabilites in the night and has forced the developement of the two-seat Ka-52. It has also has the Shkval complex but it features night capabilites as well. The latest doctrine of the Kamov combat helicopters is a wing of 1 Ka-52 and 3-4 Ka-50- the 52 mainly serves a wing controler but it retains full(and even better) attack capabilites. Thus the commander flies the 52 and depending on the tactical situation decides whether to provide targeting for some of the 50s or to attack in his own.

Despite the Mi-28N is now in serial production as the main Russian Army attack helo the Ka-50/52 will also go in small serial line(10-15 helo in proportion 1:3) for Spetznaz support in special counterterrorist operations. IMO the Kamov helos will be more busy than the Mil's, I hope I'm wrong though.

So in view of the above information. In your opinion would it be a good idea for ED to next bring us the KA-29 to actually create a more realistic battleground scenario ?

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

So in view of the above information. In your opinion would it be a good idea for ED to next bring us the KA-29 to actually create a more realistic battleground scenario ?

~S~

Blaze

. . . . an intriguing suggestion!

The modified Ka29 operating in Chechnya is an interim solution and from what I understand should be superceded by the Ka52 in operational service.

The ability to add an AI Ka52 operating as a mini-AWACS for helicopters, using line of sight that we know AWACS now has, and target prioritisation logic to send targets over the datalink, would be both realistic and a HUGE help in targeting stuff.

As has been said elsewhere, the Ka50 seems to have been designed for the open country of central Europe and struggles with targeting systems in mountainous terrain. It goes without saying that people who buy Black Shark are inevitably going to want to fly in mountainous terrain - perhaps more so than flat terrain due to the increased challenge and, well, fun value . . .

'Tis a good idea. Don't know if ED will agree, but hey . . . it's worth asking, right?

I hate to bust the color bubble debate here but on a Canon IR 5800 6800 business color copier the cost to drum and toners is about $.06 a page. 260 pages x .06 = $16.00

Production Canon color copiers could yield even a lower cost for full color copies. Such as the IC 5000.

Black and white is about 260 x .005 = $1.00 - paper cost. 500 pieces of good paper costs about $3.00

Would I pay $40.00 for a color one?

This cost is from a personal ownership or what it actually costs a shop to print it. A print shop would ofcourse then add labor.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

In your opinion would it be a good idea for ED to next bring us the KA-29 to actually create a more realistic battleground scenario ?

The idea is good no matter whether it's Ka-29 or whatever targeting platform but I seriously doubt it's in ED's plans.

=RvE=

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...