Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

Any word on performance with the new trees? At the moment we only really have Nevada to compare, and that's either arid desert, or dense urban, with not much in between. New trees look great, just wondering how intensive they are on systems.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any word on performance with the new trees? At the moment we only really have Nevada to compare, and that's either arid desert, or dense urban, with not much in between. New trees look great, just wondering how intensive they are on systems.

I assume if you have good performance over the downtown of Vegas, you probably will have good performance on entire normandy map. The object density might be the biggest performance killer and I dont think this density is higher on any place of the normandy map than over Vegas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I assume if you have good performance over the downtown of Vegas, you probably will have good performance on entire normandy map. The object density might be the biggest performance killer and I dont think this density is higher on any place of the normandy map than over Vegas.

I figured that might be the case - yes, I guess with vsync off it would be around 100 generally, and then 50 odd over vegas. Fingers crossed it's somewhere between that for Normandy :)

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just found here a nice landscape video to share

http://footage.framepool.com/fr/shot/354815755-vierville-sur-mer-omaha-beach-colleville-sur-mer-canal-de-la-manche

want to be constructive to this project, and just a few remarks

Colours are a bit different (some "UK kent real green" is here not a yelloish one, beach colours ), and trees seems quite darker as seen in WIP Screenshots. ( of course it will differs with seasons but ..)

hope you'll give attention as much to colours as your work in progress gives attention to details. But i suppose it will be the last adjustment when everything complete.

These small map, part of normandy must be perfectly done in respect of memory and history. :smilewink:

Edited by snowsniper

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Exciting! Very nice work :)) WIP I understand, but is it me, or do those airfields seem to stand out as rather too bold. Real life airfields tend to start blending in with the surroundings surprisingly fast once you get a little distance from them. I suppose an airfield that had only just been completed would stand out as more of a fresh scar on the landscape though.

Not sure if these airfields are long established or simulated as only just finished construction.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

the day my normandy map and spitfire keys show up on my backer profile.........

I fore see lots of Jolt Cola...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I think the WIP's look terrific and look forward to trying it with bated breath:) My only concern is that the trees appear to bright. Those pics from Calvados dropped just above here seems like a good reference. Still WIP obviously, and that Spitfire over Normandy shot that Bunyap shared is just freaking lovely. I'm very sad if a tip of England don't make it into the map. The entire pre-invasion campaign is to me just as interesting as D-day+. Hope to see it at some point though:)

I can understand there not being a part of England on the map on release, but there not to be one at a later point would be bitterly disappointing.

Maybe under wishlist but a battle of Britain map would be most welcoming, Knowing how big the Normandy map is would be nice :)

• ED Team

Hi everyone. We hear you and understand your desire for operations from southern England. Certainly this would add a lot to both single player and multiplayer missions. However, from the very start, this has always been advertised as a Normandy map… not an English Channel map. Our primary goal in developing this map is to model the area of Normandy most involved during the post D-Day invasion period.

However, once the Normandy map is available in Early Access, we hope (not promised) to add a basic representation of the southern coastal area of England and allow mission builders to place airfields using the upcoming airfield placement tool for the Mission Editor.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks Wags. We can't have everything, of course, but I still expect that this is going to be an awesome map for WWII missions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

the day my normandy map and spitfire keys show up on my backer profile.........

I fore see lots of Jolt Cola...

I see not much work happening at home..... and at work... I mean, anybody can get sick at anytime, anywhere......:pilotfly:

Thanks Wags for the info.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hi everyone. We hear you and understand your desire for operations from southern England. Certainly this would add a lot to both single player and multiplayer missions. However, from the very start, this has always been advertised as a Normandy map… not an English Channel map. Our primary goal in developing this map is to model the area of Normandy most involved during the post D-Day invasion period.

However, once the Normandy map is available in Early Access, we hope (not promised) to add a basic representation of the southern coastal area of England and allow mission builders to place airfields using the upcoming airfield placement tool for the Mission Editor.

Thanks

Nice thanks Wags heres to hoping :)

I see not much work happening at home..... and at work... I mean, anybody can get sick at anytime, anywhere......:pilotfly:

This is one of the perks of retirement, and being single. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks WAGS!

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Thanks

That is good to read, except that most of the air operations flown over Normandy were flown from English bases.

Do these airfields placed using the Mission Editor show up on the opposing forces maps?

Is this post invasion period up to what is called the Breakout?

Thank you Wags. The South Coast of England enabled the Normandy landings and was the springboard to invasion. Huge numbers of missions were flown from England (effectively the Allied aircraft carrier off the West coast of the European Continent).

The addition of the South Coast of England would add so much :thumbup:

More options for both sides, more variety, more fun.

Crossing the Channel means serious business, not just a quick flit to the nearest enemy base for an airquake shoot-em-up.

Happy landings (in England and Normandy),

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Crossing the Channel means serious business, not just a quick flit to the nearest enemy base for an airquake shoot-em-up.

And makes getting home again all the more interesting too... :P

(Wags, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.)

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

Wags did say: However, once the Normandy map is available in Early Access, we hope (not promised)

Don't underrate 'hope'. If it were not for the 'hope' of our parents, most of us might not be here to enjoy what we have. ;)