First Jet Module recommendations?

Fanatic

Mirage is not a good choice for a first VR aircraft. Bugs and incomplete documentation notwithstanding, the textures are low contrast and the labels are tiny, making reading anything more difficult than in other airplanes. Radar screen is practically unreadable without zooming or leaning forward.

F-5 is a nice aircraft, easy to learn, just don't expect 4th-gen multirole capability and performance figures.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

F-5 is a nice aircraft, easy to learn, just don't expect 4th-gen multirole capability and performance figures.

+1

The F-5E is a solid all around choice - excellent flight model, conventional controls and instruments (for an American at least), reasonable scope of capabilities (for an aircraft from the 60s-70s), and right at home in NTTR. It lacks systems like INS and the only A-A weapons are AIM-9s and cannon, but there are good aftermarket campaign options and it is fun to fly.

However, it really depends on what you plan to use it for. If you want a fast striker the Viggen is an excellent choice too. It has some unique functionality (which means not all of it works quite right and is getting fixed), but is fast and very capable. The cockpit looks amazing in VR, though the layout is uniquely Swedish and may not be familiar to many users.

I think the Mirage is a decent choice too, but also is awaiting fixes and updates (some significant, like the FM). The cockpit is not as nice as the Viggen or F-5, but it is the most capable full fidelity A-A fighter in DCS (at least for a few more months till the Tomcat is released). I find it fun to fly in general.

Of course, the A-10C is still the king of DCS in terms of level of detail and scope of A-G capabilities (sensors, weapons, and available content). But it is not what comes to mind when most of us think of a "jet". :)

Overall, F-5E is probably the best choice depending on your interests.

-Nick

Just want to add for the Mirage, that I find it has the best suited cockpit for VR, of them all in DCS, in terms of shape, HUD alignment, and just snugness. It feels really good sitting in the Mirage in VR. You wear it.

Its relative simple too. Systems arent very complicated, and its great fun for Air to Air, and simple ground pounding. Yes it has bugs and missing some functionality, but really isnt as bad as some make it out to be. You see plenty of them in the air on the MP servers, so cant be all that bad.

For learning, and hard to read labels, yes, its not ideal in the Mirage. But with Zoom, no problem, and it takes no time to remember what is where.

Viggen looks fantastic, in VR too. The amount of detail is insane. You will discover new small details over a long period. Its heavy on performance though, compared to, well all the others, and the radar can kick the performance down a notch too. Seems to hit some people harder than others.

F-5 is a great little bird to fly, but it comes with a big but. No IFF, so for dogfights (neither does the Viggen, but its for ground attacks mainly) you have to visually ID your target, and thats bloody hard in VR. But if you just fly singleplayer, switch some labels on.

I tend to use the F-5 for ground pounding, which is good manual old school work :)

Hard to say, this is for you, go with this. They are all great modules, that will give you many hours of great fun.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thanks guys. Bought the F5 and both campaigns (only $3.99 each with the discount). Thought I could jump in and start her up but no. Connect air, start air..... lol. Slowly sorting my hotas. Definitely need to learn Tacan nav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first clickable :)

Go check out Chuck Owl's F-5E guide (and for any other plane in the future).

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Those guides are gold for learning.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |