Headless eGPU configuration to accelerate internal monitor

Hi!

I am seeking advice whether the following is possible with DCS - I have an external GPU attached to my laptop, the HDMI port of the eGPU has a 'head-less' adapter plugged in so I can pretend a second monitor is present when in fact it is not. The advantage is that I can move eGPU-accelerated games from the headless monitor to the laptop screen and play at high FPS.

The problem with DCS is that unlike most other games the windows will not move between screens. I have configured it already that the window would use a lower resolution than actual, but I can't drag the windows across because there is no second display. Other tricks to move windows between screens (Windows+Shift+Left, or software) that work with other windows don't show an effect with DCS.

Is there a way to resolve this (.lua file settings?)?

Many thanks in advance,

Geo

When you look at the Display Settings, how do the monitors show up?

See https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2616874&postcount=799

for an example. If it shows up as multiple monitors, you can use the monitor.lua file to tell DCS where the GUI, center screen should be located.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Alrighty, those are some good pointers.

The monitors show up side by side, and I can select either and set it to primary.

I would configure 2 screens (2x 1680 x 1050) to become 1 big screen: 3360 x 1050 in DCS, with an aspect ratio of 3.2.

My 'headless' would be set to primary, and I would orient it to be the left monitor.

Nothing should be displayed on the first 1680x1050, so center would be:

X = 1680 (or 1681?)

Y = 0

?

I don't know what the differences between Viewports and UI etc are. Essentially, all output should happen in the right half of the 3360 x 1050 screen.

Do you have some more primers for me?

Cheers,

Geo

It should be 1680 (starts at zero) for the X. Y is 0 if you are top aligned.

Width is 1680 and height is 1050. aspect is 1.6.

You can leave out the left and right MFCD part.

The important part though is the DCS needs the entire monitor resolution. It'll just display everything on the right half of 3360X1050 monitor. So I don't know if it'll work for your eGPU.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Or maybe try running DCS in Windowed mode (in the settings page)?

Of course there is a hit for running in windowed vs full screen.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---