Flaps problem.

DarkFire

Firstly, I'm really enjoying flying the C-101! Extremely stable, very easy to control, a real joy to fly.

Here's what the problem is: I can set what appears to be 50% or 100% flaps for takeoff. I retract the flaps & gear as usual and off I go on my flight.

When I come in to land I press the "f" key to lower flaps... and nothing happens. The airbrake and gear work perfectly but not the flaps.

Are the flaps speed-limited or something? Am I somehow damaging them by trying to lower then too early, and therefore too fast? I usually lower gear & flaps at something around 150 - 170 IAS.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Have you tested it on the ground ? I mean, have you check your button configuration is the appropiate? you can also try with the mouse.

And i cannot wait for the mukitary verson! It is so funny to fly!

Yes I have. The flap function on the group prior to takeoff is correct, it's just I can't get them to lower in preparation for landing.

Does anyone know the upper speed limit for correct flap deployment?

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

When you say "high altitude", how high is that?

Most flap systems are limited to 20000 ft for operation.

I tied it to TAS because that is the force imparted upon the flap mechanism.

Example:

Sea-level: 180 kts IAS = 180 kts TAS

20000 ft: 180 kts IAS = 252 kts TAS (72 kts faster)

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

When you say "high altitude", how high is that?

Most flap systems are limited to 20000 ft for operation.

I tied it to TAS because that is the force imparted upon the flap mechanism.

Example:

Sea-level: 180 kts IAS = 180 kts TAS

20000 ft: 180 kts IAS = 252 kts TAS (72 kts faster)

Ya, it was probably above 20,000 ft. I guess I'm pretty clueless about the relationship between IAS and TAS then because I thought the forces applied to the wings in level flight would be constant for any given IAS independent of altitude.

You are correct. The limit IAS is allowing for increase in TAS with altitude, hence the altitude limits for e.g. flap deployment. This is to ensure that the limit IAS does not exceed the limit TAS due to altitude, whilst making the speed reference easy for the pilot.

Fixed!

Best regards,

Tango.

As per your earlier post, is 180 Kts IAS the speed limit for flap deployment or was that just an example?