After the Tomcat?

carss

My hope for Heatblur's Tomcat map is a recreation of the North Cape map from Jane's F/A-18:

jane-s-combat-simulations-f-a-18-simulator_2.png

It is watery and cold as previously hinted by HB. It allows among other things for the defense of Norway from a Soviet invasion and the Battle of the Norwegian Sea, which would have been the largest naval battle since WWII. 3-4 US carrier battle groups were expected to operate in this area to stop any advance by the Soviet Northern Fleet's submarine-, surface- and naval aviation-forces, as well as to support the land-defense of Northern Norway. There is room for the Northern Fleet's home base at Murmansk with it's surrounding naval aviation and interceptor bases. Once the Northern Fleet would have been attrited, US carriers were expected to move forward into the Barents Sea to strike the Soviet homeland itself.

As the cherry on top, the theater also works for the Viggen to defend Norrland from a Soviet invasion/incursion (the Soviets might do a shortcut through neutral Finland/Sweden to outflank NATO defenses in Norway).

• Like 1

How about the Faroe Islands?

I would include them in an Iceland map. Also parts of the norwegian coast, northern scotland and maybe a bit of greenland. As most of the map would be water it shouldn't be a problem in regard to performance or other technical limitations.

My hope for Heatblur's Tomcat map is a recreation of the North Cape map from Jane's F/A-18:

*pic*

It is watery and cold as previously hinted by HB. It allows among other things for the defense of Norway from a Soviet invasion and the Battle of the Norwegian Sea, which would have been the largest naval battle since WWII. 3-4 US carrier battle groups were expected to operate in this area to stop any advance by the Soviet Northern Fleet's submarine-, surface- and naval aviation-forces, as well as to support the land-defense of Northern Norway. There is room for the Northern Fleet's home base at Murmansk with it's surrounding naval aviation and interceptor bases. Once the Northern Fleet would have been attrited, US carriers were expected to move forward into the Barents Sea to strike the Soviet homeland itself.

As the cherry on top, the theater also works for the Viggen to defend Norrland from a Soviet invasion/incursion (the Soviets might do a shortcut through neutral Finland/Sweden to outflank NATO defenses in Norway).

That's also an interesting proposal and I like it :)

If the Viggen map will be a baltic sea map it would be adjacent to your map proposal. I don't know the limits in map size of the DCS engine, but maybe this could be merged into a single map?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

jane-s-combat-simulations-f-a-18-simulator_2.png

This!!!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

After the Tomcat?

And the backfire was only a means for delivery, the missiles they carried were supposed to do most of the heavy lifting.

Russia seemingly wanted their warfare automated, whether it was electronically automated, or doctrinal automation.

It seems weird to us, but bear in mind the concept of conscription would very severely limit the amount of time an individual would spend in the armed forces. You want a system that always works with the most basic of training and a minimum of experience and development necessary.

Use your smart Party engineers and make automated systems that require minimal maintenance, and minimal skill to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is bone, buff, stab aug, fbw, ewo, dso, tps studs...............:huh:

BONE - B1 bomber (“B-ONE” - get it?)

BUFF - b52 (nicknamed the Big Ugly Fat F**ker)

Stab aug - Stability Augmentor. Think of it as an automatic damper to enhance control and stability on a plane to keep it at or near its limits for longer.

FBW - Fly By Wire. Your joystick is connected to a computer which does your input for you, as opposed to directly to the cables and gear that control the wing.

EWO (Electronic Warfare Officer) - the guy who can use the jammer)

DSO (Defensive systems officer) - sinilar role, different plane. They might also control the tail gun or work chaff and flare.

Hope that helps ;)

It seems weird to us, but bear in mind the concept of conscription would very severely limit the amount of time an individual would spend in the armed forces. You want a system that always works with the most basic of training and a minimum of experience and development necessary.

Use your smart Party engineers and make automated systems that require minimal maintenance, and minimal skill to operate.

I'm pretty sure the pilots are not conscripted ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I was mostly referring to the ground crew for maintenance. The pilots going nowhere fast if the aircrafts poorly maintained by ground crew with high turnover ;)

Well... The Swedes did kinda prove that conscription for ground crew works, and fast. But I get your point, we also only conscript for our infantry and their direct support. The rest is professional.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

To fully fill out this scenario, we would need 3 additional aircraft: a US carrier based strike aircraft, a Soviet/Warsaw Pact anti-shipping bomber, and a Soviet/Warsaw Pact point defense interceptor.

US carrier based strike aircraft = F-14B

Soviet/Warsaw Pact anti-shipping bomber = AI Tu-22

Soviet/Warsaw Pact point defense interceptor - Mig-29

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

US carrier based strike aircraft = F-14B

Soviet/Warsaw Pact anti-shipping bomber = AI Tu-22

Soviet/Warsaw Pact point defense interceptor - Mig-29

The MiG-29 fits a lot of roles, but interceptor is not one of them.

Soviet/Warsaw Pact point defense interceptors would be something like a Su-15. Longer range defense interceptors would also include anything from the MiG-25 and -31 to the Yak-28P and Tu-28.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well... The Swedes did kinda prove that conscription for ground crew works, and fast. But I get your point, we also only conscript for our infantry and their direct support. The rest is professional.

Oh, I’m not doubting the professionalism of the conscripted. Just the perception of them by their government and leadership ;)

The MiG-29 fits a lot of roles, but interceptor is not one of them.

Soviet/Warsaw Pact point defense interceptors would be something like a Su-15. Longer range defense interceptors would also include anything from the MiG-25 and -31 to the Yak-28P and Tu-28.

Theoretically yes but consider that the MiG-29 had replaced 21 and 23 which had been fulfilling the interceptor roles. Also neither East Germany or Poland had the Su-15 but applied MiG-29 as an interceptor platform.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Theoretically yes but consider that the MiG-29 had replaced 21 and 23 which had been fulfilling the interceptor roles. Also neither East Germany or Poland had the Su-15 but applied MiG-29 as an interceptor platform.

WP countries acquired the MiG-29, yes, but as an interceptor platform? That's news to me.

The interceptor responibility in the soviet union laid with the Soviet Air Defence Forces which have never acquired the MiG-29. Warsaw Pact countries did not have the need for such specialized interceptors as their countries ar located just next to the potential front line, so they needed front line fighter and strike aircraft more than anything. That's why the MiG-29 was acquired as it can carry out both roles and is a rather simple aircraft.

Tornado3 small.jpg

One can only wish, but hopefully it's the Tornado IDS, the old DI game was my first flight sim as well. I only bring this up because it's also twin engine, swing wing and twin crewed.

A lot of people are saying it's the Tornado as well for the exact same reasons

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

WP countries acquired the MiG-29, yes, but as an interceptor platform? That's news to me.

The interceptor responibility in the soviet union laid with the Soviet Air Defence Forces which have never acquired the MiG-29. Warsaw Pact countries did not have the need for such specialized interceptors as their countries ar located just next to the potential front line, so they needed front line fighter and strike aircraft more than anything. That's why the MiG-29 was acquired as it can carry out both roles and is a rather simple aircraft.

I think Firmek is right on this one. AFAIK the East German AF never had a concept of "front-line fighters". All their fighters primarily served as interceptors. Not solely, but primarily. East German fighter wings also practised ground attacks, but only on a smaller scale as a minor role.

Oh, and topic-wise: Cold War Tornado IDS is a must!

Edited by Pilot Ike
Needed to add something pro forma to stay on topic

After f14 it would be great that you make Saab 39 Gripen module. You have already the contacts with saab. hehe just saying it :music_whistling:

No, their next module is certainly not a Gripen.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sadly, you are indeed very correct.

They even had some classification issues with the AJS-37 having some systems still in use in the JAS-39. But luckily for the simmer community, the Swedish government/Saab were understanding enough to declassify these 30 odd year-old systems. However it just comes to serve as a reminder of what a hurdle classification is for us flight simmers, and expecting them to fully declassify the most advanced front line fighter they have would just be ridiculous.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Whatever they choose I hope they do a full module of the J-35 Draken in a not to distant timeframe. They are doing the AI version so they already have started and it was used by more Austria, Sweden, Finland and Denmark so it should be pretty popular. I have seen some people asking for a JA-37 and a JAS-39 Gripen, i would settle just fine with a J-35 because I find it more interesting because it was a unforgiving aircraft to fly.

The visual intercept command system that the later versions had would be a new fun feature in DCS (would not have to be working in early access though).

And I guess it would not need the same amount of development time. I dont think anything about it is classified either.

That said, i dont want to spoil your F-111 bombing but I was just hoping they could "wrap up" the J-35 parallell to some other project if it is not their next one.. :)

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got a sneaking suspicion its going to be the F-111.

Or the pretty similar, but more versatile Tornado ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not to forget, this would give the Mig-21 an era accurate plane to intercept

Yeah, good luck with that ;)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!