Why no collective controllers?

Given the popularity of the rotary wing aircraft in and outside of DCS, I am quite surprised that so far there has not been an affordable consumer-level collective.

How can this be? Anyone know if say for instance VKB or VPC have one in the pipeline?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

There are some available, but as you've noticed, they're NOT cheap. A potential might be if Komodo systems start producing again. Their kit looked the business.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

A big problem is you cant just plop it on a desk like most users do with a throttle. The end user needs to figure out how to mount it alongside their chair themselves. So from that perspective it complicates what a company can just sell and hope their users can make work for themselves.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I made my own from an old X52 throttle and some aluminium tubing. Need to wire up the head still that I adapted from a MS sidewinder so I have 4 buttons and a trigger (or will have when my soldering iron is repaired) :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup. Flight sim world is already a niche. Rotary is a niche within a niche. And people who want a full collective as opposed to a regular throttle is a niche^3. All of that means you will pay through your nose.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For now, I'm using a Saitek/Logitech throttle quadrant with the Z Axis as Collective and the Y axis as Throttle...not the best solution, but with the number of switches and hats available on my Warthog Stick, it's workable. There's a 3D-Printed throttle available on Thingiverse ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2630031 ) that i'me in the process of having printed out until i have the funds for a set of Microheli.de Controls The biggest issue with the Saitek is that mounted on the Desk, the collective is essentially back wards..as i said not the best solution, but i can fly (Badly LOL) with it at least.

Also important to mention is that most commercial collectives are either meant for civilian flight, or are a Huey collective replica. This means that you either get a collective stick that has nothing on it, a twist throttle on it, or a twist throttle with Huey controls (1 hat, 4 switches, and a button). If you're looking for a collective like the one on the Ka-50, DIY is currently the only choice.

I have one of these: https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopify.com/collections/spare-parts/products/adjustable-collective-arm-with-throttle-box-and-zone-switch

Be aware that you need to get the USB interface board separately (an additional $55).

Mounting it will be an issue for many who just have a conventional desk as pointed out above.

I'm struggling to decide if I would describe it as good value or not.

While not extremely expensive, it's not exactly cheap either. On the one hand the quality, while not bad, doesn't feel fantastic (especially the throttle). It is quite sturdy though. It has no adjustable friction either, although you can make do by tightening the nut on the lever attachment bolt.

On the other, I should probably be realistic: as hansangb points out, this is a niche within a niche, and that's always going to lead to higher prices, and from what I remember, it's much cheaper than Komodo (assuming they ever produce again).