Tip...: Afterburner "disable button" save fuel

delevero

Dear forum.

I found a cool feature today that I think many of you do not know about.

As you know with the f18c it is easy to turn on the afterburner by accident, here is a trick to avoid it to save fuel.. :smartass:

1). Open the F18c plane controls..

2). Search for the word "afterburner"

3). now you see the command " cycle afterburner detent ON/OFF

4). Assign a button on your keyboard or joystick to this button on the same page. ( by default this button is not assigned to anything )

5). Fly your hornet and fly with example 50% power.

6). Press the button you assigned tocycle afterburner detent on/off

7). now the trottle should stop at 100% power and not turn on the afterburner.

That is really cool :thumbup:

to turn on your afterburner, again reduce your power to example 50%

and click the button.. Now when you push your trottle to max it will go beyond 100% to like 150% with afterburner..

Happy flying...

Actually it's a feature introduced with todays update...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I thought it was an "old" feature, i dident notise that just thought i found a feature that I had overlooked for a while and thought i share the tip :-)
Anyway a cool feature for many with a Joystick without AB-Detent or that don't want to switch the Warthogs detent. :)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I guess I don't get it. I now have to push 0 in order to put my Warthog throttle into AB?

I have the AB detent installed on my warthog but there is no simple way to hit 0 and then lift my throttle in to AB. This update kind of does not make sense to me.

Asus Strix X299-XE, Intel 7820X @4.6ghz, 32GB G.Skill Ram, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Win10 Pro x64, WinWing F-18 Hotas, Couger MFD's, TrackIR, Buttkicker, Volairsim pit.

Well I just changed the keybinding. So "Cycle Afterburner Detent - ON/OFF" is now "0". Just need to remember to make sure that is off each flight.

Asus Strix X299-XE, Intel 7820X @4.6ghz, 32GB G.Skill Ram, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Win10 Pro x64, WinWing F-18 Hotas, Couger MFD's, TrackIR, Buttkicker, Volairsim pit.

Well I just changed the keybinding. So "Cycle Afterburner Detent - ON/OFF" is now "0". Just need to remember to make sure that is off each flight.

no, you can (and should) turn off this feature completely in the special options section if you use a throttle with hardware detent like the warthog

I guess I don't get it. I now have to push 0 in order to put my Warthog throttle into AB?

I have the AB detent installed on my warthog but there is no simple way to hit 0 and then lift my throttle in to AB. This update kind of does not make sense to me.

If you don't map the button or activate any new features you are good.

Warthog does not need this with AB-detent installed. The hardware already provides the "bump"/detent.

But other joysticks don't have a detent, so you won't recognize when you hit into the afterburner area and consume a lot of precious fuel until you notice what's going on.

That is where this OPTIONAL keybinds and Settings can be very handy.

Shagrat

This is not just to save on fuel, will be interesting to test this when doing the level break pattern.

You shouldn't need the burner and a few times I've hit the burner and this can mess you up, the only time you should really need it is in the groove and possible wave off. Will need to just bind it close and easy I guess.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Ok, so my x65 throttle has both idle and afterburner detents...how can I set my throtitle burner detent match the sim's?

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Also, you can turn this detent on or off in special options tab. And then use fingerlifts (default key '0') to override this detent.

For me it was on already and wondered why the AB didn't come on. Reminded me of the patch notes, went in the menu and mapped the detent button. Later I got the idea to map the finger lift (both) instead which I did, but didn't have time to try yet. I think it's a great solution this way.

But I still want to have some FFB throttles to get that in a more realistic manner where it's possible to feel the detent - and have it dynamically placed right where it belongs in any plane without having to mess with the axis setup to match a physical bump stop dealwithit.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

no, you can (and should) turn off this feature completely in the special options section if you use a throttle with hardware detent like the warthog

Done deal...I got it now. Thank you.

It might be a cool feature for some but for those who don't read the changelog before hopping in a jet after the fresh update (like me) triggered a barrage of WTF's before I finally decided to read.

The detent must have been enabled by default.

Edited by Gripes323

Ok, so my x65 throttle has both idle and afterburner detents...how can I set my throtitle burner detent match the sim's?
Need to adjust with custom axis tuning.

Shagrat

It might be a cool feature for some but for those who don't read the changelog before hopping in a jet after the fresh update (like me) triggered a barrage of WTF's before I finally decided to read.

The detent must have been enabled by default.

Haha, this happened to me too! When I first updated it wasn't enabled, then later it was. I thought I broke my throttle until I looked at the digital one in the cockpit.

OP thanks for highlighting, much appreciated

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

No need to change axis. For now you need to uncheck the "Afterburner detent" in the Special settings page for the F-18. ED have implemented the afterburner detent wrong, hopefully fixed in a later patch.

So we actually can adjust at which throttle level the AB kicks in? Without using curves?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

So we actually can adjust at which throttle level the AB kicks in? Without using curves?

No, you are right, this is different from stick to stick so you may need to adjust the axis to get the AB activating after the dent.

No you dont, I was thinking the same thing because my warthog started acting funny and realised that i had to uncheck the detent option in the specials tab.