TrackIR/FTNoIR/FreeTrack z-aixs Zoom and Lean Forward/Backward

I am using TRACKIR_Z (z-axis) as zoom in A-10c and Huey and use lean forward/backward in all of FC3 jets. I use shift z-axis for lean forward / Backward in A-10c and Huey and use mouse scroll for zoom in FC3 module.

My question is What you people prefer. Which is the best, using z-aixs for zoom or leaning forward/backward.

This question is for all those who are using any tracker (TrackIR, FTNoIR, FreeTrack) etc.

BTW I am using FTNoIR with 3 point clip and PS3 eye. Which works for me very well.

Thx guys

T-Rex (multiplayer nick):thumbup:

Edit

After a lot of different solutions finally I found a really nice working solution for both leaning and zooming both with tracker (TrackIR or FTNoIR) z-axis.

DCS World give your really nice feature which I didn't try before which is modifier with switch/latch option. What i did is

Create a modifier with switch option. I used Scroll Lock as switch/Latch modifier as it is not used

attachment.php?attachmentid=109277&stc=1&d=1418357904

If you like lean by default then use z-axis for lean without modifier

attachment.php?attachmentid=109278&stc=1&d=1418357904

Then create zoom z-axis with modifier that you have created above

What is the plus point now you just toggle scroll lock button which will switch your z-axis to either zoom or lean.

Note: This technique don't interfere with your other controls that you set on HOTAS. I tested it with Huey

237363227_Screen1.thumb.jpg.666a92cc7d2a0039d2dc12d13a3fd1ac.jpg

Screen_141212_090013.thumb.jpg.9b5d8cc23e87a0708b83b7bc69ac770f.jpg

Edited by sniperwolfpk5

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Leaning.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

there are two kinds of zoom

#1 decreasing the FOV

#2 leaning forwards

decreasing the fov is like putting a 1000mm lens on the camera

leaning forwards is like not putting any new lens on the camera, just moving it closer to the object...

so my answer is both.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I prefer Zoom for most planes as its more useful in combat to spot stuff.

but leaning is a much cooler effect and give you more immersion.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zoom is useful in combat but not realistic. But you can't see ground targets without zooming while leaning is realistic and more challenging in combat.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Leaning would be the realistic way of 'zooming'. However, since you're not in a real pit but in front of a 2D screen, zooming is a more useful alternative sometimes. E.g. when you're having trouble reading the HUD to put the thing on the thing, zooming helps. In a real jet a medically fit pilot wouldn't have any trouble reading the HUD (at least that's my personal experience in a 737).

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

real life your eyes see a lot more detail than can be displayed on a 1920x1080 display... i think at 4K (not DSR) zooming in so much might not be as important, except that when you zoom in, instead of lean forwards, the more you zoom in, the more stuff gets within draw distance so you can actually see it in the first place

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i guess that it all been explained here - i use both method cause of the reasons mentioned above

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

if you zoom into the hud [...] then it just moves further away, [..] I don't understand the logic behind it.

In short: a HUD has an infinite focus distance. This is required to omit the parallax effect which is required for mark points on the HUD to have a 1:1 relation with whatever is placed beyond the HUD on the surface or in the air.

Put more simply: if you don't implement this, you wouldn't be able to rely on things like the pipper, FPM, targetting boxes, etc. Downside is you can move your head to or from the HUD as much as you like, since the focus lies at an infinite point, the symbols and text will never change size.

You can very easily verify my explanation by moving (shifting) your head to the left or to the right. While you do so, watch the HUD shifting from your point of view while in reality it is not moving at all. Now draw a spot on a window with a marker and place that spot perfectly in line with a random object on the other side of the window. The moment you move your head, the spot is not in line with that object anymore. This is exactly the thing you want to prevent in the case of the HUD.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

^ Well explained. That's what reflective gunsights with collimator lens were invented shortly after WW I (though not really widely introduced until '1930s).

As for the thread subject, at first I tried to "keep it real" and not to use TIR z-axis for anything other than leaning, but when infamous "DCS target spotting issue" hit me hard, I had to give up and assign slow zoom to this axis as well. So my answer is "both".

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Leaning in TrackIR and zoom on throttle (G940 thumb wheel).

Wish it would be easy to alter zoom to make head movement slower so TrackIR movement would be more natural.

When someone (ED) adds a virtual binoculars to game (like 4x or 7x or even 12x) that are required to be taken in hand (takes little time) and put away, and while holding the view is surrounded by sharp black but added lens effect (edge is little smudgy) and it is possible to be gear up in load out/airfield with wanted variation, we could assign the view zoom as "cheat" that doesn't go further zoom than cockpit move allows and have it as mission option be enforced on/off.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, headtracker for leaning, slider on throttle (currently x52) for zooming.

This for me too.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Yes, headtracker for leaning, slider on throttle (currently x52) for zooming.

TIR to lean forward in the cockpit, Slider on my throttle to zoom

x52 pro slider is jerky. I tried it. It is the best zooming option but it is jerky. So i prefer scroll wheel.

It is clear that without zooming it is quite hard to spot targets as we are in simulation world.

DIY Rudder Pedals,

With the X-52, I found that using the "clutch" button (the one in the middle of the lower rotary) in conjunction with the upper rotary allows for zooming without stutters (because it only reads the input when you are actually manipulating it, when you let go of the clutch button, the shakiness will stop.

Freetrack lean forward is for leaning forward in cockpit, this way there is no artificial movement (zooming by leaning is not natural at all). All is natural... lean lateral or longitudinal do the same basic thing. Moving the body in the cockpit as I would do in reality. Also raising or lowering in the seat.

Then for zooming (FOV changing) I use the rotary between the throttles from my G940 HOTAS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

x52 pro slider is jerky. I tried it. It is the best zooming option but it is jerky. So i prefer scroll wheel.

It is clear that without zooming it is quite hard to spot targets as we are in simulation world.

My slider still works reasonably well. Sure it's a bit shaky sometimes but it usually stops when i move it a little forward and find a stable spot. But the scroll wheel is pretty unreliable for me. I use it as boat switch and AP mode selector and have to turn it a couple of times until it registers.

And the rotaries are completely broken. Have to have most of the range as deadzones and just set them up as bands to simulate button presses.

Yeah, i have to upgrade soon :joystick:

I don't map the slider axis to zoom but instead set up 3 bands; the top and bottom 5% is zoom in/out, the rest is a dead zone.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I don't map the slider axis to zoom but instead set up 3 bands; the top and bottom 5% is zoom in/out, the rest is a dead zone.

Well I setup my slider into 3 bands for Air Speed Brake

DIY Rudder Pedals,