Strange problem with port 10309 and Dec 4 update

Yesterday, before applying the latest (Dec 4th) update, all three of my servers were running the DCS dedicated server openbeta just fine. The servers run on the same box using ports 10307, 10308, and 10309 respectively. Because of the recent restriction of only two servers per account, servers 1 & 2 are attached to the first account and server 3 on the second account.

After the Dec 4th update, everything seemed normal. I was able to manage each server by logging into their DCS account. However; my BuDs began complaining about their clients hanging up while loading the mission on server 3. The other two servers were fine.

This mission, the 476th vFG NTTR mission, had been running without problems for months. Thinking it was something to do with the mission, I loaded the same mission that was running on server 1. However clients continued to hang while loading this mission as well. The logs showed no problems and all mangement functions of server 3 through the DCS web worked. Server 3 was showing up on the master list of servers. The client would hang while loading whether connecting through the master list, or directly with IP address, using either internal LAN IP or external IP.

Thinking it may be something to do with the DCS account, I tried switching server 3 to account #1 and server 1 to account #2. However, clients still would hang on server 3. So I next thought there must be something wrong with the instance of server 3. I did a line by line comparison of autoexec.cfg, options.lua, serverSettings.lua, and dedicatedServer.lua. They all appeared identical except for server name, game port # and WebGui port.

Maybe there was something else in the files that I was missing, so tried copying the entire server 1 save game directory and changing server name and ports to make a new server 3, but that didn't fix the problem.

The only difference between the three instances are server name, dcs port # and WebGui port and DCS account. So on a wild hair, I swapped the port #s, between servers 1 and 3. Then server 3 (running on port 10307) began working; however server 1, running on port 10309, began hanging up clients when the mission loads. The port number must be the problem!:smartass:

I checked port forwarding in my router, which is forwarding the range of ports 10307 thru 10309. I also checked that the Windows firewall is set to allow connections to DCS Dedicated Server.

I next changed the router to allow the range of ports to include 10310 and assigned server 3 to port 10310. That worked. However,t none of servers will work on port 10309. So for the time being I am leaving server 3 on port 10310 and scratching my head about port 10309.

Anyone have an idea why port 10309 won't work? :helpsmilie:What computer, DCS or networking issue would allow correctly managing the server through the web interface, but cause clients to lock up while loading any mission? Even more perplexing is server on port 10309 worked before the update on Dec 4.

Sweet mysteries of life and DCS! Gee, I could have spent my afternoon flying DCS rather than this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Mystery Solved!

Thanks to DiscWalker for the PM pointing me in the right direction. I need to be more vigilant in reading the change notes on the updates. What happened makes perfect sense now. :thumbup:

From a post in the DCS World 2.5/Bugs and Problems/Voice Chat

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256203

Note 1 for server hosters ONLY. Voice chat system use port 10309. Routers with upnp option will translate that port automatically (tested) as soon as DCS server launched. But some routers can't do it due to unknown reason. In case of your clients doesn't hear one another (and even doesn't see one another in VC panel) just manually translate that port for both TCP+UDP protocols.

So does this mean that if we run three servers on one machine, we will need to open two more ports in addition to 10309? However There was a caution about problems for clients, if the server use a different port than 10309..

Note 2 for hosters: to change VC port add line

webrtc_port=XXXXX

into 'Saved Games\%DCS_SERVER_HOME_FOLDER%\Config\autoexec.cfg

We do not recommend to change this port because of client should do the same. In future planned to incorporate sound stream into main DCS network data and use one port for both DCS and Voice Chat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals