Upgrading cpu/mb: 3900x or 9900k? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #11
Tailhook

For DCS, until ED does something about multi-threading then you want to remain with Intel. Go with the 9900KS.

ASUS X79 Deluxe : Intel i7 4930k : 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 : EVGA GTX1080 FTW : 2x WD VelociRaptor 500GB (R0)
TM HOTAS Warthog : TM Pendulum Rudders : TM Cougar MFD's : Oculus Rift CV1 : A quarter-ton of Mountain Dew
Tailhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #12
Konovalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailhook View Post
For DCS, until ED does something about multi-threading then you want to remain with Intel. Go with the 9900KS.
Really there is very little to distinguish between 3rd gen Ryzen and Intel now that in real world DCS scenario terms you probably won't notice. And the Intel 9900KS is just a sickening money grab from Intel. Get the stock 9900k and spend the saved money on a better GPU.
Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #13
The Falcon

I think we should consider the loss of performance due to intel's security flaws, so I don't know but I believe that in this case amd is the best choice, especially if intel's performance losses affect the single core
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 AM   #14
streakeagle

With the release of the Rift S, I am flying VR more. 1 or 2 fps isn't a big difference. There are essentially two realms: try to hold 40 fps with the highest quality settings possible or if your gpu and cpu are strong enough, try to hold 80 fps with the highest quality settings possible.

I am going to guess that the 3rd gen Ryzen and 9900k are close enough in performance that given a decent gpu will be too close in performance to distinguish... i.e. hold 40 fps with the same settings or maybe hold 80 fps with the same settings. If that is the case, then it is just a matter of personal preference or whether you intend to use the PC for more than just playing DCS World in VR.

Multithreading is coming sooner or later for just about everything. But is it coming soon enough to sacrifice even a slight amount of single thread performance to make sure you have a decent multi-threading support?

I have been sitting on the fence for a few years already. Still nothing leaps out at me enough to make me pull the trigger on building a new PC. I will just keep sitting here until something forces me to act.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #15
Milou

There is very little between AMDs 3rd gen Ryzen and Intel's 9900K. Very little.

If you intend to overclock and you have a powerful cooling solution (very good air cooler like Noctua or a custom water-cooling loop like on my system) you would most likely be able to overclock the 9900K to a small advantage (0-5%). But getting there is expensive (high spec PSU, high spec motherboard with good VRM and high specification cooling system and case ventilation). Definitely law of diminishing returns.

Ryzen will also benefit from a powerful cooling system*, but for normal performance it is far easier and cheaper to cool. (*Including making sure case ventilation is working well... plentiful cool air in, hot air out immediately though the top without being recirculated around the case). However it is already overclocking itself effectively so there is not so much extra potential performance to manually squeeze from the silicon.

You probably want to consider that 9900K is end of line. Meaning that a step forward from Intel probably requires new motherboards. Ryzen has been making effective use of it's AM4 socket meaning that an investment in their motherboard has been offering upgrade paths to early adopters. It also gives higher resale to people selling old Ryzen processors second hand as late adopters can buy your top CPU and get it to work without a new motherboard when you upgrade.

If it were me, unless I saw a striking deal on a high specification Intel motherboard, I would go the AMD route based on the current choices in the market. (Note that I only got into Intel HEDT on the basis of CPU and motherboard both bought at 50% below RRP... so if you spot a "deal" that changes the value dynamics then you could reach different conclusions).
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). Virpil WarBRD base with T/M Warthog grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #16
BitMaster
Veteran

9900KS is a PAPER LAUNCH. Sold out mostly, 1 year warranty only also speaks for itself and you will have ZERO chance to drop in a new CPU next year.

Ever Der 8auer says, admitting a few more frames in every game for the KS and better overclocking, for most customers, he'd go with AMD as it only matters at 1080p, you will be GPU bound for a few years to come.

PCIe v4 is another thing to be considered, not only for NVMe where it really doesnt matter much, but for all the rest like USB, Audio, LAN, WLAN...all those chips suck away bandwidth that Intel has not so much of compared to AMD
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
Delta59R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
9900KS is a PAPER LAUNCH. Sold out mostly, 1 year warranty only also speaks for itself and you will have ZERO chance to drop in a new CPU next year.

Ever Der 8auer says, admitting a few more frames in every game for the KS and better overclocking, for most customers, he'd go with AMD as it only matters at 1080p, you will be GPU bound for a few years to come.

PCIe v4 is another thing to be considered, not only for NVMe where it really doesnt matter much, but for all the rest like USB, Audio, LAN, WLAN...all those chips suck away bandwidth that Intel has not so much of compared to AMD

I had a chance to buy one from BnH photo last night, not for 513 but for 595.00... I also saw some new slides that just got out of the 10900kf, its 14++++++ 10core 5.2 ghz. More cores and a tad better clocks. Deja vu
Meshify C, Noctua Industrial Fans, Asus Hero X, Delided 8700k 5.0 HT off, 32gb 4000 c18 Gskill, EVGA Ultra 2080ti, Captain 240, Sam 512g pro, Sam 120g pro, Seasonic 1000, MSFF2, Razer Mamba, O+, HP Reverb, 4k Sony TV
Delta59R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
Rossterman

Thanks all for the feedback. I like the idea of buying something at the beginning of model run and being able to drop a new chip in a few years later vs. end and now having to rebuy mb and cpu. Think I’ll give the AMD a try (last on I had was back in the althon days). Let you know how it goes once I get it all together.
EVGA 2080ti black w/ hydrocopper water cooling
360mm custom water cooled loop for CPU and Vid card
500mb nvme ssd
256mb sata ssd
2gb hdd
Samsung Odyessy +
TM warthog stick & throttle
MS ff2 stick
Rossterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
DocSigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. I like the idea of buying something at the beginning of model run and being able to drop a new chip in a few years later vs. end and now having to rebuy mb and cpu. Think I’ll give the AMD a try (last on I had was back in the althon days). Let you know how it goes once I get it all together.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Ryzen9 3900X, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Gigabyte Aorus 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD, EVGA FTW RTX2080 Super, Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, TMW Hotas, Saitek combat pedals.
DocSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #20
Sn8ke_iis

For those planning new builds this season. As Bit already mentioned just because you want a processor does not mean said processor/mb/GPU is in stock at a reasonable price. If you have your heart set on building something over the holidays have a backup plan.

Until someone does some serious benchmarks to compare, the new AMD processors should match Intel within a frame or two or within the margin of error is my best guess. It's not really a matter of opinion or which company you are partial to, the single thread benchmarks speak for themselves. But the price performance ratio gets all thrown out of whack if vendors start scalping stuff they know is popular. I've seen prices raised in realtime based on demand. If you buy an overpriced AMD motherboard that's more than you actually need, that also throws off the price performance savings of the CPU. For DCS all you need is a $100 - $150 ITX motherboard unless you want to do SLI or need expansion slots (you don't).

In general this the best time to buy components but there are always bottleneck components you will need to have a working computer like the CPU. Best course of action might be to decide on a build and collect the parts over time when they are at their best price and vendors know demand has subsided. If you get excited to play with a new toy by a certain emotional deadline you'll pay more $$$.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K | HP Reverb Pro | SndblstrX G6 DAC | Sennheiser PC 363D headphones | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/center extension, MFDs | Vipergear IPC | Buddyfox UFC | Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel | MFG Pedals | Playseat Flightseat | Monstertech HOTAS mount | Gametrix Jetseat

Last edited by Sn8ke_iis; 11-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote