HOTAS - what to buy?

GVO

:shocking:

What were you using before?! It must have been bad! A VKB or Virpil stick would blow your mind :lol:

I'm glad you liked it. Maybe your friend has one of the better ones? Mine was awful and was glad to be rid of it. Couldn't recommend it at all.

It is a 1 year old TM Warthog. Mine is a X52-Pro, the throw on both throttle and stick are still very smooth but without the 16bit accuracy that I'm looking for.

From what I've been hearing I'm partial to the Virpil but don't like pedals, can you recommend a good twist stick [i'm told Virpil sells one].

Hmm. Not sure about Virpil selling a twist stick. VKB had a bolt on module planned to add a twist axis to their gunfighter sticks https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=7363

That was over a year ago though.

Virpil offers the Constellation Delta grip targeted for space sims which has a twist axis.

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-constellation-delta-grip.html

Course it is showing out of stock.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hmm. Not sure about Virpil selling a twist stick. VKB had a bolt on module planned to add a twist axis to their gunfighter sticks https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=7363

That was over a year ago though.

Virpil WarBRD base + Delta grip = twist rudder stick with contactless sensor in metal mechanism.

BTW - VPC twist rudder is feature of grip, not of base, available only in Delta grip.

VKB promised optional twist mechanism for their MCG and Kosmosima grips.

Yup.

I own one and it is a nice grip

Ambidextrous as well so would work as a lefty or rather well as a center stick.

I personally don't need the twist, got crosswinds. and I personally prefer the t50 mongoose grip and button layout.

But it is a nice grip with a very nice analog thumb stick as well.

Which honestly I found more useful in DCS as a slew than in Elite dangerous as thruster control.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Do they all have the same quality with touchless sensors [16 bit] and give about the same performance?

As well I'll look up the specs on how many stick buttons and HATs.

VPC MongoosT-50 Base: This is bolted to a table bracket?

VPC WarBRD Base: This is the only base that is able to be placed on a desk?

Edited by fitness88

I own both VKB and Virpil offerings. Both good sticks, and probably personal preference which one you'd like best. Both nice and precise.

So VPC WarBRD Base I'll need with either the VPC Constellation DELTA Grip or VPC MongoosT-50 Grip and for a throttle how would you rate the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, I noticed there is no mention of 16 bit touchless sensors?

I noticed a few different MongoosT-50 grips.

The VKB, MCG PRO with Twist Adapter installed, does it sell with a base?

Edited by fitness88

So VPC WarBRD Base I'll need with either the VPC Constellation DELTA Grip or VPC MongoosT-50 Grip and VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle. I noticed a few different MongoosT-50 grips.

The VKB, MCG PRO with Twist Adapter installed, does it sell with a base?

VPC sell only WarBRD base. T50 base was discontinued temporally, forget this model.

In WarBRD base you can use:

VPC Delta grip - this grip has twist rudder integrated

T50 grip (no twist rudder option)

T50 CM - basically the same grip with new look

Cougar/Warthog grips

T50 Throttle can be used with any joystick of any brand, since work as standalone controller.

VKB promised - early in this year, twist rudder as optional for their MCG, MCG PRO and their - not produced yet,"Kosmosima" grip.

This twist rudder mechanism was not produced yet. So unless you are buying promises, forget this for a while. :D

VPC sell only WarBRD base. T50 base was discontinued temporally, forget this model.

In WarBRD base you can use:

VPC Delta grip - this grip has twist rudder integrated

T50 grip (no twist rudder option)

T50 CM - basically the same grip with new look

Cougar/Warthog grips

T50 Throttle can be used with any joystick of any brand, since work as standalone controller.

VKB promised - early in this year, twist rudder as optional for their MCG, MCG PRO and their - not produced yet,"Kosmosima" grip.

This twist rudder mechanism was not produced yet. So unless you are buying promises, forget this for a while. :D

Thanks for this info very helpful!

I take it the VPC MongoosT-50 Grip is the best suited for DCS?

VPC MongoosT-50LH Grip

VPC MongoosT-50 Grip

VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip

VPC MongoosT-50LH BE Grip

VPC MongoosT-50BE Grip

It would seem there is a big difference in button and hat controllers between the 2 grips.

For the sake of having a twist grip I'd be giving up a lot.

VPC Constellation DELTA Grip:

1 x Dual-stage Trigger

1 x 8-way POV Hat (Programmable LED Surround)

2 x 5-way Hats (4-way + Push)

1 x Analogue Stick (+ Push)

1 x Scroll Encoder (+ Push)

Twist Axis (VPC Contactless Sensor)

VPC MongoosT-50 Standard Grip:

1 x Dual-stage Trigger

1 x Folding Trigger

5 x Buttons

3 x 4-way Hats

1 x 2-position Switch

1 x Analog Brake Lever

quality sensor is a quality sensor.

I wouldn't hang myself up too much on them being contactless or potentiometer based.

A good pot is still good.

A contactless hall sensor with a loose magnet is rubbish as well.

At least the main axes on the t50 are contactless but it has six axes in total but with my unit I can't tell the difference unless I start digging into resolution ranges etc but that is also mostly from the bit depth on the chips rather than the sensors again.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

quality sensor is a quality sensor.

I wouldn't hang myself up too much on them being contactless or potentiometer based.

But none joystick manufacturer use quality potentiometer, they use the more cheap available - the better is the old CTS pot used in "vingate" CH's.

Today an contactless sensor is a standard necessity - and a warrant ind don't have spikes soon or latter.

As per their web page, they show different number of controls per grip.

T50 is equals Warthog grip in buttons number - 19 + POV HAT and have an extra axis in a lever for brake (not existent in Warthog).

Delta grip, each of 2 HAT - excluding POV, count as 5 buttons buttons, scroll encoder count as 3 buttons, trigger 2 buttons , and mini-stick center press 1 button = 16 - I have counted one less. :D But there you have more extra axis, 1 in twist rudder and 2 in mini-stick.

Delta mini-stick can be used for press 4 buttons or keypress, what leave this grip with more functions than T50, although visually look less.

Edited by Sokol1_br

T50 is equals Warthog grip in buttons number - 19 + POV HAT and have an extra axis in a lever for brake (not existent in Warthog).

Delta grip, each of 2 HAT - excluding POV, count as 5 buttons buttons, scroll encoder count as 3 buttons, trigger 2 buttons , and mini-stick center press 1 button = 16 - I have counted one less. :D But there you have more extra axis, 1 in twist rudder and 2 in mini-stick.

Delta mini-stick can be used for press 4 buttons or keypress, what leave this grip with more functions than T50, although visually look less.

Again thanks this is really helpful book.gif I guess once I'm going to get a stick may as well get the throttle although my X52 Pro is still very nice. I wish I was more comfortable with pedals so I could get something like the T-50 but I've spent all my sim years with twist sticks. Hope there's not too much difference between the Delta and the T-50 on the performance side.

Again thanks this is really helpful book.gif I guess once I'm going to get a stick may as well get the throttle although my X52 Pro is still very nice. I wish I was more comfortable with pedals so I could get something like the T-50 but I've spent all my sim years with twist sticks. Hope there's not too much difference between the Delta and the T-50 on the performance side.

Just splurge a little and get one of each.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just splurge a little and get one of each.

:smilewink:

You guys...amazing what I've read many of you have. Getting educated here book.gif hey I'm getting close but I checked tonight and there is no stockdoh.gif

BTW, with your j-stick/throttle, what do you do with toggles that latch, I'm told you have to edit some of the lua files to avoid conflicts?

Edited by fitness88

BTW, with your j-stick/throttle, what do you do with toggles that latch, I'm told you have to edit some of the lua files to avoid conflicts?

A button always pressed (switch latched) don't cause conflict, but move this switch from ON to OFF position don't make effect (send command for game) - exception for some pre-set A-10C commands, then you need edit LUA files for add command in OFF state of latched switch for another modules (planes), or use a external software for this, e.g. Joystick Gremlin.

See about there: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

Edited by Sokol1_br

A button always pressed (switch latched) don't cause conflict, but move this switch from ON to OFF position don't make effect (send command for game) - exception for some pre-set A-10C commands, then you need edit LUA files for add command in OFF state of latched switch for another modules (planes), or use a external software for this, e.g. Joystick Gremlin.

See about there: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

Great link to hold ontothumbup.gif