GTX 2080ti and VR review

wrl11

I think we got it the same time. It's sitting next to my desk. I'm hoping to get it installed tomorrow. Would love some first impressions from a hardcore VR user!

Well I will tell ya:

I went from 1080 Ti FTW3 to 2080 Ti FTW3.

Not too much gain in the fps department, I was measuring my fps with ASW off in the Rift. I always fly with ASW off.

I did find however, I could raise my graphics settings some, increase Pixel Density a little, and still get the same good performance. No I will not be at 90 fps all that often, but I will be between 45 and 90 and most importantly it is very smooth and looks gorgeous.

So I was very pleased at the increased level of detail I got and still able to fly with a very smooth experience. I think sometimes we get too caught up in FPS and should just focus on - is it smooth and stutter free, and is the image quality nice.

I can answer yes to both of those.

Was it worth the money I spent? Probably not, but I don't regret getting it at all. And I do play other VR games as well that will probably benefit even more from it.

I have ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSPWWB7?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

To see if it will work in the new Virtual Link port on my 2080 Ti to plug my headset and sensors into.

Should have it sometime on Tuesday, hope to have some info to share on it on Wed.

And once I am confident this new card is solid and trouble free, I will sell my 1080 Ti FTW3 and at least recoup some cost.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well I will tell ya:

I went from 1080 Ti FTW3 to 2080 Ti FTW3.

Not too much gain in the fps department, I was measuring my fps with ASW off in the Rift. I always fly with ASW off.

I did find however, I could raise my graphics settings some, increase Pixel Density a little, and still get the same good performance. No I will not be at 90 fps all that often, but I will be between 45 and 90 and most importantly it is very smooth and looks gorgeous.

So I was very pleased at the increased level of detail I got and still able to fly with a very smooth experience. I think sometimes we get too caught up in FPS and should just focus on - is it smooth and stutter free, and is the image quality nice.

I can answer yes to both of those.

Was it worth the money I spent? Probably not, but I don't regret getting it at all. And I do play other VR games as well that will probably benefit even more from it.

I have ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSPWWB7?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

To see if it will work in the new Virtual Link port on my 2080 Ti to plug my headset and sensors into.

Should have it sometime on Tuesday, hope to have some info to share on it on Wed.

And once I am confident this new card is solid and trouble free, I will sell my 1080 Ti FTW3 and at least recoup some cost.

Actually, this will be a good experiment. I have to present at Sharkfest in Europe next week so I *SHOULD* work on that presentation.....LOL. But you are most likely CPU throttled as well. So you and I can compare the same instant missions to see if you moved the bottleneck to the CPU. It'll be an interesting comparison. I have every module and map but the MiGs, so we can compare. I know you have the F18, so I know we can use that in Persian Gulf map.

In fact, can you post a screenshot of your config? I'll match it perfectly. And what PD you have it set at in OTT.

Edited by hansangb
machine -> mission

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Actually, this will be a good experiment. I have to present at Sharkfest in Europe next week so I *SHOULD* work on that presentation.....LOL. But you are most likely CPU throttled as well. So you and I can compare the same instant missions to see if you moved the bottleneck to the CPU. It'll be an interesting comparison. I have every module and map but the MiGs, so we can compare. I know you have the F18, so I know we can use that in Persian Gulf map.

In fact, can you post a screenshot of your config? I'll match it perfectly. And what PD you have it set at in OTT.

I set the PD in DCS, 1.5.

Yes, I think I am CPU throttled now. But I have a new i9 9900k on pre-order and should be building my new system here in the next month or so, already gathering all new parts for it.

My settings:

969106667_DCSSettings.thumb.jpg.2cb55be921958ec05a1061e1e8dfdcc0.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I set the PD in DCS, 1.5.

Yes, I think I am CPU throttled now. But I have a new i9 9900k on pre-order and should be building my new system here in the next month or so, already gathering all new parts for it.

My settings:

Perfect. I'll give it a whirl using the same settings. Yup, knew you were getting your rig upgraded. Good luck and have fun!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This means 32GB to 64GB memory and a 2080ti along with 2X 2tb ssd to run this program with decent resolution without the studders. And least I forget a I9-9900 or better.

This is not a poor man's sport. About 4000.00 just for what's mentioned. With all the other

components you want/need you will have 8000.00 or more invested.

The days of the 3000.00 computer to run DCS with low settings which provided minimal

visual quality are over.

Sony is coming out with a new console to run VR and the latest at 4k resolutions. I would imagine it will be in the 800.00 to 1000.00 range. Probably use AMD chips.

Maybe DCS will be ported over to this..?

Laz

This means 32GB to 64GB memory and a 2080ti along with 2X 2tb ssd to run this program with decent resolution without the studders. And least I forget a I9-9900 or better.

Well now certainly to get the very best quality would can with current technology sure.

But I have been flying in VR with my Rift since Jan 2017, with a i7 4820k, 16 gb ram, 256gb SSD (for DCS), and first a 1080 card, then 1080 Ti until this past week.

And I still got smooth performance and decent visuals.

Don B

It'll be worth it in the end I think especially when, or hopefully when Vulcan is released! Recommend Kingdom Come Deliverance Dburne beautiful and fantastic game. Mod that shit and its jaw dropping.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

This is not a poor man's sport. About 4000.00 just for what's mentioned. With all the other

components you want/need you will have 8000.00 or more invested.

The days of the 3000.00 computer to run DCS with low settings which provided minimal

visual quality are over.

Sony is coming out with a new console to run VR and the latest at 4k resolutions. I would imagine it will be in the 800.00 to 1000.00 range. Probably use AMD chips.

Maybe DCS will be ported over to this..?

Laz

You don't need a Ferrari to go to the train station. It would be nice, but not needed. If you want the very best VR experience, it requires a lot of money to overcome some of the limitations. But with shader mods, with other compromises, VR is very playable as DBurne noted above.

Vulkan is coming, VR optimization is coming, so there's hope. Having said that, for the past 30 years, the computer I needed was *ALWAYS* $3,000

That has never changed. So there is nothing cheap about flight sim *if* that's what you want - all the eye candy etc.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

TBH, I think this has tipped me over the edge and made me decide to buy one. What I would say is try the shader mod if you're not already doing so. I tried it with my 1080ti and my framerates jumped. VR with the Oculus is a lot smoother now (ie dp set to 2.0, most settings on high and getting 45FPS at Nevada). The mod is literally a life saver

Yeah that mod actually makes things as smooth as with motion smoothing, but without all the visual artifacts. The only annoyance is having to reload it up again and delete all the terrain metacaches each time there is a DCS update. Anyone have any idea when Vulkan will land?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

It'll be worth it in the end I think especially when, or hopefully when Vulcan is released! Recommend Kingdom Come Deliverance Dburne beautiful and fantastic game. Mod that shit and its jaw dropping.

Thanks much, I have made a note and will check that out.

Don B