I took some MiG-21 pictures. Check them out!

Zilch

The War Eagles Air Museum in Santa Teresa, NM has a lovely, restored MiG-21.

The ex-GDR bird has no internal gun and the cockpit is dominated by a radar scope and a sight of some kind. I'm not sure why there's an iron gunsight, with the lack of gun and all, but you'll be interested to see lots of familiar features and some different ones in this MiG-21 variant. If you think forward visibility in the DCS MiG-21 is bad (due to canopy framework, etc.,) just wait till you see this one...

Here's the imgur link to the MiG-21 album:

http://imgur.com/a/OfrhQ?gallery

If you like those, I have more of a P-51D, a pair of MiG-15's, a P-40, and a few of the F-86. Unfortunately, my phone died at the F-86, so I'll have to go get more pics. What a hard life, eh?

Enjoy the photos. You can really see what a good job LNS did with our version of this bird.

EDIT: Linked the whole album this time.

Edited by Zilch
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

Great photos, apart from the pilot appearing to lean on that rocket launcher, playing his junk :)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Great photos, apart from the pilot appearing to lean on that rocket launcher, playing his junk :)

Bad angle, I guess. I think they may have had problems with the mannequin, also. He always looks like he's drunk or something...I'll assume on Spaten Optimator, because that stuff is awesome. :thumbup:

The worst one is actually by the P-51...I'll link to all the rest later today, after my flight in a Ford Trimotor (which I'm really excited about.)

Later, folks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice photos!

I've noticed that this Mig-21 has an interesting neighbor on the right side.

It's Polish Air Force Lim-2, more often referred as Mig-15.

You should definitely go back there and perform another photo session for another Mig.

It would make our waiting for Mig-15 module release a little bit less painful :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

--

"The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good shit.

A night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities to experience all three at the same time."

Nice photos!

I've noticed that this Mig-21 has an interesting neighbor on the right side.

It's Polish Air Force Lim-2, more often referred as Mig-15.

You should definitely go back there and perform another photo session for another Mig.

It would make our waiting for Mig-15 module release a little bit less painful :)

I'm already on it! Let me get the album together and I'll post it over on the Belsimtek area. Some P-51, P-40 and F-86 on the way, too.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/pC8mG?gallery Shortcut to the MiG-15! The museum actually has two, a single seat and a two seat trainer. The cockpit shots are all of the two-seat MiG. The single-seat was roped off, but you get the idea.

Edited by Zilch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the galleries, Zilch. The cockpit reminds me of a Yugoslavian airforce training video I saw on YouTube. Neither of the two look like the MiG-21bis cockpit - some instruments got combined together in the bis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

It was donated to the museum by the German Luftwaffe. It is formerly of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany.) I'm not sure if the original variant was intended for the PVO or not. Honestly, I was hoping someone else here could fill us in on this particular model, as I am no expert on the MiG-21. I understand instrument flight, but having your front vision about 60 or 70% obstructed seems pretty insane. :) This cockpit felt...eh, "cozy."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I asked because I have only seen the "top-down" gunsight on PVO aircraft. (Su-9, Su-15, MiG-25)

Also, there's the emphasis on missile armament (no internal gun, outsized radar scope) - so a dedicated interceptor -- hence PVO -- variant came to my mind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I asked because I have only seen the "top-down" gunsight on PVO aircraft. (Su-9, Su-15, MiG-25)

Also, there's the emphasis on missile armament (no internal gun, outsized radar scope) - so a dedicated interceptor -- hence PVO -- variant came to my mind.

Logical. It's quite possible that it was developed for the PVO and the GDR picked them up, as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]