Upgrading from Intel 3930K to 9900K. Worth it? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #31
Headwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
@Headwrap has the RAM arrived yet?
It was scanned 3 hours away.. so I might get it tomorrow. But it's scheduled for the 20th FargBum.
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 4.9ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 16GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #32
FragBum

Oh and glad the GPU was already sorted I may have glazed over that bit.

I see the 8700K has a max memory bandwidth, 41.6 GB/s it would be interesting to see what your memory bandwidth is before and after 16/32GB.

If you get stuck turning off virtual memory just reboot windows a couple of times let it sort out what memory strategy it's going to use.

Can you turn off that annoying 'start all the apps when it restarts" thing?

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #33
Headwarp

Got my new ram.. aside from struggling to seat it underneath my aio hoses and what not 2nd kit works like a charm. HOwever - I'm not really seeing any difference in DCS performance.

It's like DCS wants to use more pagefile than it does ram. I lowered my P.D to 1.3 on the odyssey and it seems to have aleviated my dropped frame issue, not that it makes sense to me considering i'm not maxing out my VRAM and otherwise maintain 45fps.

What I do notice is going from map to cockpit seems to happen faster. I'm sure I'll appreciate the extra ram flying DDCS or Blueflag or something tho.

Might disable the page file for a bit to see what happens there but I kind of wish DCS would just use the ram rather than the page file without having to attempt to force it.
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 4.9ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 16GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
etherbattx

DCS is asking “windows” for memory and it gets it.

it’s the “windows” operating system that decides the best way to manage ram and the page file and everything else going on in your computer. that is what the job of an “operating system” is. to balance and manage and secure resources.

there is nothing DCS can do about it.
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #35
FragBum

^ Exactly, if you do turn of the page file off do try rebooting the computer a couple of times making sure there are no apps being "restarted automatically" between boots. Then try DCS/VR after a clean boot.

For me basic free flight mission uses maybe 6 to 8 GB RAM/ 6GBVRAM and MP 11 + GB of RAM and 11ish GB of VRAM.

It's very hard to get DCS to use more RAM with the new memory model used I remember before the memory management was implemented it was common to see 18~20+GB of RAM used.

Keep in mind the aim (well for me) is to ensure not only DCS has enough RAM but also the OS and what ever other apps you may have running has enough system RAM to work without needing to page stuff away and worse not have to swap stuff (um data) between page file and RAM.

@Headwarp. did you get a chance to verify your memory speed? And if so are you nearly saturating the i/o buss?

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #36
Mr_sukebe

Try playing with the "pre-load" slider in DCS settings. That seems to influence RAM usage.