Jack of all trades master of none ?

chaser

Thats the question, being relatively new Im enjoying learning in the Su25t, but I can't help but wanting to purchasing something like Flaming Cliffs 3, which will then expose me to a number of Aircraft

I would like to hear peoples thought and suggestion

thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't buy FC3, yet.

Before that, I recommend you to consider getting a full fidelity module instead. They have (almost) all their systems modeled, clickable cockpit, professional grade flight model and many other things that make them way more interesting and enjoyable than FC3, IMHO.

Of course price is not the same, but it's worth it, and way more rewarding.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

... something like Flaming Cliffs 3, which will then expose me to a number of Aircraft

Actually, the systems and key commands are very similar between all the aircrafts of FC3, and very similar to those of the Su-25T, so it isnt really like you will be learning much more than you already know .. main new thing would be the use of the Radar on the Mig-29, Su-27/33 and F-15C.

On my opinion, you would have a much more interesting experience with the Mirage 2000 ... the F-5E is nice too, but lacks the excellent Campaign that the Mirage includes for free.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I can't recommend FC3 personally, but that's a subjective opionion. I need the full system interactio to have fun with the aircraft, so FC3 is a no go for me. If you don't mind the absence of interactivity, then FC3 should fit you well though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't buy FC3, yet.

Before that, I recommend you to consider getting a full fidelity module instead. They have (almost) all their systems modeled, clickable cockpit, professional grade flight model and many other things that make them way more interesting and enjoyable than FC3, IMHO.

Of course price is not the same, but it's worth it, and way more rewarding.

what do you suggest ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what do you suggest ?

Browse the eshop, pick one you like and will be ok with spending several months learning how to operate. There is no 'best' one, #1 is to pick one you'll enjoy and are interested in.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

what do you suggest?

Allow me :)

It depends on your interests. Cold War? MiG-15, F-86, F-5, MiG-21. Choppers? Mi-8, UH-1, Ka-50. Warbirds? P-51, Bf-109, Fw-190, Spitfire. So what do you want to do?

Or maybe an attack-capable trainer? Get the L-39 package. Because contrary to what various clueless folks may claim / think, the ZA model is THE bees knees when it comes to counter-insurgency and / or light strike sorties. So again, what do you want to do?

Or yet another option, an unarmed prop trainer. The Yak-52 is shaping up nicely, and it's a hoot to fly. So again again, what do you want to do?

PS. Or modern. So how about the F/A-18 if that's your thing?

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

If you enjoying SU-25T then you will feel like home with FC3 and its an easy way to start learning how to BVR and Dogfight before u go to a Full Fidelity aircraft.

I was flying FC3 planes for about 2 years before i go to a full clickable cockpit and never regret it.

Go for it,the planes are a lot of fun.

S!

what do you suggest ?

As msalama kinda explained already, I'd encourage you to try to answer these questions to make a short list of possible modules :

- Do you prefer eastern or western aircraft?

- Plane or helicopter?

- Air to Air or Air to Ground combat (or both)?

- Are you more interested in cold war aircraft, modern ones, or WW2?

Depending of what you like we can recommend you something :thumbup:

For your first module, I would exclude early access thought.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

FC3 is not a bad place to start if the thought of learning aircraft systems and cold and dark starts seems daunting. However if you think you're ready for that the more important question is what do you want to do? Ground pounding or dogfighting? The F-5 makes a great first full fidelity module. It's systems are relatively simple and easy to learn, IF you can get with Aim-9 range it can be a lethal dogfighter even to 4th generation jets, and it can carry a pretty good load of dumb bombs and rockets or even laser guided bombs if you have a JTAC or another aircraft to buddy lase. It can not self lase though. The mirage is a much better dogfighter but a little more complicated to learn. It's radar can find a needle in a haystack and it's radar guided missile is very effective. I don't find it to be very useful in the strike role but it can carry some bombs and rockets. Like the F-5 though it's laser bombs can not be self designated. You need the JTAC or buddy lase again. If your looking for ground pounding the A-10c is amazing but it is very slow. I find it frustrating to spend five minutes going through start up and then an hour to fly to the target only to be shot down. Moral of the story even though it's known for taking a beating do not take risks in it. Also it has some of the more complicated systems in DCS. The viggen is an excellent strike aircraft that is fast and easy to start and very fast to fly. It is an excellent module that can seem daunting to learn at first because of a unique design philosophy but once you understand the logic to it it's easy. It is not made to loiter and plink tanks though, its for fast hit and run attacks and so far our only useful anti-shipping aircraft. The harrier takes a lot of flack (sorry for the bad pun) because Razbam let it's priority slip versus other module they have in development. They have responded to the public outcry though and have redirected resources to it and it's seeing imporvments now. I really enjoy the aircraft. It's much faster then the A-10, is very effective against ground targets, and the Tarawa takeoffs and landing are a lot of fun. It does leave you frequently asking "is that a bug or feature?". Finally it's not neccesary to learn how to fly at all but don't discount the L-39 either. It wouldn't be a priority but if you can afford to get it too its a lot of fun and great for learning basic. The quality of the module is excellent. You won't be doing any real dogfighting in it unless against a similar aircraft and it wont be taking out tank columns either. But the multicrew feature is great fun, it helps you learn things more powerful aircraft can make you lazy about, and I personally love setting up anti-terrorist/anti-drug missions for it against low threat targets.

FC3 aircraft are really nice despite the non-clickable cockpit buttons and switches.

All FC3 aircraft can be purchased separately (except for the J-11A at this time), and all FC3 aircraft feature AFMs (advanced flight model) or PFMs (professional flight model).

So if you enjoy aviation and flight (and the sense these AFM/PFMs provide), then any FC3 aircraft is a valid choice.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

what do you suggest ?

For me the two great things about DCS are:

1) Feeling of flight, especially in non-FBW aircraft

2) Full system modelling, which means that you will learn about the actual aircraft systems rather than "press R to switch on radar".

Both of these disqualify FC3, although the MiG-29 (and Su-27) is one of my favourite aircraft IRL.

I suggest the L-39. It's a lot of fun to fly and the ZA is pretty capable in it's own way (within limitations obviously).

For ground attack I suggest the Viggen.

For old-school dogfighting, the MiG-15.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Browse the eshop, pick one you like and will be ok with spending several months learning how to operate. There is no 'best' one, #1 is to pick one you'll enjoy and are interested in.

^^This

I ended up being a Rotorhead but wanted to become a F-22 all digital jockey. Turned out, I like any heli much more than any of the aircraft, just for the flying part.

Try them, pick with your heart & stomach, not the brain.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Try them, pick with your heart & stomach, not the brain.

Now THAT'S good advice !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It depends entirely on your abilities and desires...for me, I’ve had just as much fun with FC3 aircraft as with the clickables...because the clickables require a pretty high level of eye-hand-cursor coordination. Flying high speed low level and taking my eyes of the HUD for two seconds to find and click a button often results in a “texting while driving” outcome.

But if you want to try out a clickable, you can either get the most complex and interactive plane there is, or you can go with a simpler one to see if that degree of realism is for you. That’s why I suggest the F-5E as a first clickable. Flaps can be set to auto-control, weapons are set before you get in a furball, and most of the switches are on the main instrument panel.

No fuss, no muss. Plus it’s a really easy plane to fly...very stable yet very maneuverable.

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t enjoy DCS unless you’re clicking toggles for half the flight...you can of course, but any DCS is fun.

If you just want something else to fly FC3 (or if you have the patience to wait, Modern Air Combat) might work for you, because the first part of the Su-27 interactive training is quite similar to the Su-25T.

If you do want a fully modelled systems, for ground pounding I highly recommend the Viggen, I moved to that directly from the Su-25T and fell in love immediately. Nothing like breaking the sound barrier 20m above the ocean surface!

If it's air-to-air you want I'd agree with others here and suggest the Mirage, it's the most modern complete air-to-air module, it's very fast and it's easy to fly. The missiles work fairly well but they aren't very long range and require support all the way to their target so a level of tactical skill is required, but learning that is very rewarding, and the community is very helpful with such things.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

For me the two great things about DCS are:

1) Feeling of flight, especially in non-FBW aircraft

2) Full system modelling, which means that you will learn about the actual aircraft systems rather than "press R to switch on radar".

Both of these disqualify FC3, although the MiG-29 (and Su-27) is one of my favourite aircraft IRL.

It's not just your opinion. It's spreading misinformation. FC3 can lack in many aspects but never in FMs. As for learning the systems is totally up to the user. It's still 3 clicks to start the Hornet.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

It's not just your opinion. It's spreading misinformation. FC3 can lack in many aspects but never in FMs. As for learning the systems is totally up to the user. It's still 3 clicks to start the Hornet.

I was referring to FBW.

But (in retrospect) I realise that not all FC3 aircraft are FBW and I probably worded this wrongly.

My apologies for that.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

FC3 is ok, my only complaint is there are NO training missions for any of the planes. It annoyed me as the SU27 and 33 are similar to the SU25 cockpit wise but the A10 etc no idea what does what without watching youtube vids, a pain when you want in-cockpit instruction.

Actually there is a lot of training missions for the Su-27. Su-33 and Mig-29 is almost the same regarding basic stuff. Su-25A is similar too, but there are lots of additional training missions for the Su-25T. That leaves 2 aircraft. Now, I know some people prefer videos and there are plenty tutorials on the Internet, but to really get into flying you should read the manual instead. Both FC3 one and for the particular airframe.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria