A plea for proper FOV adjustment for triplehead displays

Joe

Hello Eagle Dynamics,

Now that you have publicized the information that Black Shark will be a standalone sim, I would ask that proper attention be given to how the game will play using triplehead resolutions. In the last 18 months the popularity of the Matrox TripleHead2Go and the modifications done by the SoftTH fileset have greatly increased interest in triplehead gaming. Typically this is done on 3 screens of equal resolution for an output of 3840x1024 (triple 5:4), 3072x768 (triple 4:3), or 3840x800 (triple 16:10).

Lock On seems to limit the maximum FOV when gaming at a triplehead resolution. Whether this has to do with the actual pixel count or just the apsect ratio of the image I do now know. However, it results in difficult gameplay in triplehead resolutions.

There is more info (and screenshots) here. I hope that this issue can be improved upon for the release of Black Shark.

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

Second that!!!

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Guest Dr. Shocker

Joe from SimHQ I assume? I won't be going triplehead but I'd like to see some of the newer technologies compatible so that BS will attract the most customers. I'd like to see IVibe support too.

Yep, that's me, the SimHQ mod. Can't get my sig working on the new board...

Ivibe would be nice as well. Lock On already does LUA scripting well, which I imagine will be quite useful to home cockpit builders when the technology makes it over to DCS: BS. All of these "little" technology add-on bits aren't too important, but when they all exist in the same title you potentially have something much more enjoyable than "just" a study sim.

EDIT: ah, there's my sig...

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

There's not been any mention of even proper WS support which, given some of the detail on other things in the recent release, leads me to be less than confident (I have 2 WS devices, a 24" Dell and 40" Samsung)...and a config.ini FoV tweak is useless in FC for the 25T and so will assume just as useless on BS.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

and i second that second :)

hey joe, what you doin with that th2go in your hand :)

seriously now, i am totally behind you on this one and i hope that the issues with the th2go ultra wide resolution will be overcome in DCS, if not initially then when the core game gets a face lift.

i think Teka Teka understands the issues with the overdraw, or whatever its called, we discussed this together previously, perhaps he may be kind enough to put this question to ED far better than i could, he seems very knowledgable on these things.

but the point is i totally agree this must be resolved if possible,

good one Joe:thumbup:

here is a cut n paste from a post by tekateka about the issue:

I did some research on this problem and found there seem to be a miscalculation of the drawn area in the code. If the aspect ratio becomes larger, the drawn area becomes smaller than the one supposed to be. If the aspect ratio goes smaller, the drawn area goes larger.

You can compensate this by offset the zoom angle, but it causes other problems. The most serious one is the amount of the graphic calculations. The calculations will be done according to the offset zoom angle, not to the drawn area. If your aspect ratio is very large, the graphic calculations for the outside of the actual drawn area will be tremendous and you will get very poor framerates to gain a decent view angle. The another problem is the restriction of the view rotations (you already encountered). You can compensate this by enlarging the angle limits in \Config\View\server.lua, but the downward limits at the both sides will be remained because they are hardcoded and you can not do the compensation in online plays because you will be forced to use the server's server.lua.

Anyway, here are things you can do right now.

1. Increase CameraViewAngleLimits numbers in \Config\View\view.lua. (You already did.)

2. If you use the TrackIR zoom, the default zoom angle will be the average of the first and second numbers of CameraViewAngleLimits. So, increase the first numbers, too.

3. If you don't use the TrackIR zoom, the default zoom angle can be set in \Config\View\snapviews.lua. See here for details.

4. Increase CameraAngleLimits numbers in \Config\View\server.lua.

I think this problem is caused by very simple error of the function and hope fixed in 1.2. But there are many simple defects still left remained in LockOn, so do not expect too much.

TekaTeka from Japan

the whole thread can be viewed here:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=17306

• 7 months later...
Hello Eagle Dynamics,

Now that you have publicized the information that Black Shark will be a standalone sim, I would ask that proper attention be given to how the game will play using triplehead resolutions. ........

Has this been answered anywhere? I just set up my Flaming Cliffs with TH2Go and TIR. Runs and looks great at 3840x1024. It took me about 3hrs research to find, fix and set up the FOV, aspect ratio etc in LOMAC FC so I really am hoping that everything will be native in BS.

Forgive me if the answer is posted somewhere. I cannot find one.

The answer will definitely determine my purchasing choice.

Thanks!

I am currently looking at buying TH2Go specificily for Blackshark, but didn't know lomac had issues with it.

I too hope it will be supported.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.6 GHz // Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO // GFX - ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB // RAM - Patriot-Viper II 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1600 // Audio - Creative X-FI Platinum // OS - Windows 7 Home x64 Bit

CH Fighterstick // CH Pro Pedals // CH Pro Throttle // TrackIR 4 // Eyefinity 20"x3 Portrait :joystick:

We are actively working on fully supporting this and solving th FOV issue.
Very good news!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I too have just jumped onto the triplehead2go bandwagon ( FC 1.12 ), and I must say...WOW. I'm running it with touchbuddy,tarckir and virtual panel. Looks amazing.

Really pleased that ED are going to fully support it for BS. Wags, you say that you are working on solving the fov issue,does that mean for FC as well or just BS? Thanks.

Finally, as I don't post much, ( but read the boards a lot! ) I would just like to say a great big thanks to ggg87 and Joe for their excellent work. Without you guys I would have been completely lost:thumbup:

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Ratcatcher:

Glad to hear you benefited from our info,

appreciate the kind words,

suddenly overcome by a warm fuzzy feeling.

my thanks must also go to Tekateka.

gotta love that th2go, impressive isn't it.

and together with all the other addons you mentioned,

they definitely make this sim a virtual delight to fly. enjoy.

i was happy enough when it was mentioned the aspect ratio reset bug would be fixed :D

here's hoping for fully built in th2go support,

its sounds promising.

Now you've got me misting up...group hug anyone?

Not wishing to go too off topic...too late! the only thing that I'm currently unable to sort is the view angle of the 25T ( which I mostly fly ). I have been playing with the Su33, lovely plane but the fm is obviously somewhat lacking in comparison.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Ah, that would explain it, thats a shame. thanks for the reply.

SPYBAZ

What are your settings in order to make THtoGO work?

I am trying to get as much info as possible because I might buy one also!

(you said you got it running smoothly in 3 hours... mind sharing the numbers?)

I am a bit lost in the actual physical configuration of the system for it to work properly : do you need 2 video cards to make thtogo work with 3 screens? You also have touchbuddy, do you have another card for it or another computer in network???

thanks

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

edit...

It is Ratcatcher who has the THtoGO and touchbuddy together. Can you explain your setup please?

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi JEFX

Just replied to the other thread you were asking about triplehead, as I said in that thread, I'm no expert but am happy to share what I did to get mine running.

I will sit down and right it out, just so I have it straight in my own head before I end up confusing you even more!

As far as it running with touchbuddy, I run touchbuddy on a 7" touchscreen which connects to my laptop, this is then run in client / server mode. I have it running with no problems ( now ) as well as having the excellent virtual panel, which also runs on my laptop.

Will get back to you asap with my scribblings, but might be tomorrow, just so I make sure I've got it straight.

Cheers

Thanks a lot!

Very appreciated!

Hoping that all this will get TH2go more attention!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

amen to that brother :thumbup: