AA Missiles For the Ka-50

Alpenwolf

Yeah, this has been posted quite often and I can't remember, we ever had an official answer to that.

So why bring this up again? Well, it turns out with the release of DCS 2.5 the Shkval has been malfunctioning somehow. Tracking aerial units is becoming impossible. Even locking up helicopters is quite challenging and only doable at ranges less than 3 km. Other players and myself have noticed that excessively during the last two Helicopters Tournament events. So obviously the Shark has been lacking some AA capabilities for a long time. And I was hoping all that long for some update to fix the issue. Now the Shark is very crippled and can't defend itself effectively even against Huey's!

So, how long until this is finally fixed?

And don't tell me the Ka-50 hasn't got the ability to carry AA missiles. Enough images out there confirm that. And we wouldn't have the ability to select AA missiles using the hat switch on the collective (which is disabled of course).

Just imagine how freaking awesome it would be to carry some AA missiles in the Shark!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Being able to carry aerial Igla system would be nice.

The Shark was kind of an experiment, but as you say, it does have a selector switch for AA. And being an experimental aircraft, I don't see why we can't have AA. Ability just needs to be added to the FCC to use them and put a cue up on the HUD.

You actually can add them to your wingmen, by adding the CLSID for them into weapon selection for that craft. And they will use them! You can even put R-63's and such on them if you want. :thumbup:

From 2007:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=24616

Not being 'in service' is only one problem. The other is not knowing how it would be implemented in the WCS. I.e., what would the HUD look like? What manuevering restrictions would be in place? Would it give an audio tone?

ED is trying to keep the guessing to a minimum in this simulation. They make best guesses where they have to, but where they don't, because it isn't in service anyway, it's best for the quality of the product to simply omit it.

Having said that, I don't believe there has been any final decision. Perhaps they'll obtain enough info to model it correctly and then I'm sure you'll see it hanging off your stub-wings.

From 2009;

Q: Does the Ka-50 carry any air-to-air missiles? The internet says it does!

A: The internet is wrong. The Ka-50 is not equipped with air-to-air missiles at any operational level as deployed by the Russian military. Kamov may have intended the machine to have such a capability and it is theoretically possible, but has not been actually incorporated and to date there is no evidence to suggest that it will be. As a side note, the same is true for U.S. Army AH-64's

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=620282&postcount=52

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=33527

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=38254

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41099

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45822

http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthread.php?t=36249

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Keep calm. The Mi-24 will have this AA missiles, R-60 thought.

Or maybe not, you never know... look the fighters in developing to face the wave of modern fighters with Mig-19 and Mig-23. Probably R-60 is neither deserved.

I think R-60 is rare on a heli. All the ones I have seen armed with AA have always had Iglas. R-60 might need some speed to launch, not sure. Plus also the blast, which might get sucked in by the engines.

The internet is wrong.

BLASPHEMY!! :p

If I'm going into a hard fight with heli's, I just usually cheat and let my wingmen carry R-60's. That usually takes care of some of the fighters.

Edited by 3WA

Frankly, I just want the Shkval fixed.

The "wandering shkval" now happens more than it doesn't, locking clearly contrasting objects is becoming more of a problem, which GREATLY limits your effectiveness, by eliminating your mobility.

I miss the days where I could be guaranteed a lock on a helo at 10km, as long as the sun was still shining. Now, you can barely maintain a lock on a vehicle, during midday at 4km.

The "wandering shkval" now happens more than it doesn't, locking clearly contrasting objects is becoming more of a problem, which GREATLY limits your effectiveness, by eliminating your mobility.

I miss the days where I could be guaranteed a lock on a helo at 10km, as long as the sun was still shining. Now, you can barely maintain a lock on a vehicle, during midday at 4km.

The question is how realistic were those old days?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The question is how realistic were those old days?

Who cares? I pointed out 2 rather big problems that are game breaking, and this is a game, after all. It needs to be fixed.

The wandering Shkval isn't an isolated thing. When the Ka-50 was released, it happened sometimes. Now I experience it every single sortie, and I would bet as does all other Ka-50 owners.

The Shkval not locking onto a target is manageable, since it should be ground stabilised. However, when the Shkval for no understandable reason, flips to 0.1m range and starts slewing randomly in a direction, faster than you can control it, then it is unmanageable and clearly broken.

Wandering Shkval is not a problem for me. It never happens. I play DCS mostly with the KA-50. At least 5 hours every week. Mostly the latest betas. Online and offline. It never ever happens to me.

I´m not trying to say, that there isn't a problem that shouldn't be fixed, because lots of people are experiencing the problem. But... not ALL of us are seeing that error.

I have no idea why.

Who cares? I pointed out 2 rather big problems that are game breaking, and this is a game, after all. It needs to be fixed.

Su-27S HAS to have R-77's cause who cares its a game? It needs to be fixed :lol:

Yes, it is game, but at least it tries very, very hard to be as realistic as possible.

Happened with me the other day. Hadn't played Shark in a while, and I noticed the Shkval was really wandering. Tried to ground stabilize it, and that helped a little, but even then it was trying to wander still.

I'm just saying that the different behavior might be due to some changes to the tracking system linked to the Hornet FLIR pod or the AGM-65 seeker developments.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Wandering Shkval is not a problem for me. It never happens.

Like others have indicated in their experiences, this happens a lot for me as well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The wandering Shkval is an issue no doubt, but air-to-air kills with Vikhrs are the way to go if the subject is whether or not a dedicated missile needs to be added. For starters they're awesome, some of the most satisfying air-to-air kills you can get in DCS; but for the Shkval issue, they're also highly effective. For my money, the Ka-50 really isn't missing out on anything in terms of air-to-air capability.

I feel throwing some EZ-mode Iglas on it is not only a misrepresentation of how they're equipped in real life, being a niche weapon integrated in to an even more niche helicopter which itself was adopted in few numbers, but it detracts from the spirit of the helicopter as an A-G hunter-killer and the experience of such. Taking off even one of those 6-pack Vikhr pylons to replace it with an air-to-air missile is taking away a sizeable portion of the Ka-50's soul. Everything is centered around that Shkval display and the Vikhrs guided to target on it, surely the less Vikhrs equipped equates to "less Ka-50" in some measure.

I hope the wandering Shkval is remedied soon, but it's not a good reason to abandon otherwise-effective, multipurpose Vikhrs for another boring A-A heatseeker.

The Igla's wouldn't replace the Vhikers. They would hang from the wing tip pylons.

And I tell you, I'm getting SO frustrated with the dam Shkval. And I've owned the Shark for years! It can't lock up SHIT!

It's not TOO bad for ground targets, but GOD HELP YOU trying to lock up even a helicopter! Su-25? FORGET IT.

This is why we need Igla's, for quick air defense. Swing the seeker head over the target, get growl, uncage, fire, head for cover.

Vhiker air-to-air is a worthless GIMMICK!

This is why I cheat in single player, and let at least one wingie carry R-60's. Fast Mission on medium puts Su-27's and Mig-29's all over the place. And they WILL come after you.

img_13061.jpg

CRLY_DLWoAAuSkm.jpg

Edited by 3WA