An F/A-18 Pilot’s thoughts on the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

FightsOn

Thanks for the post !!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Hi all!

... Is there a way to load the gun without any tracers? They are distracting....

Hi FightsOn! yes you can disable tracers :

Edit the file shell_table.lua (loc : C:\Pierre\Jeux\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\Weapons) and, for both M61_20_HE and M61_20_AP (third and fourth shells in the list), replace the values :

tracer_off = 3,

scale_tracer = 1,

by :

tracer_off = -100,

scale_tracer = 0,

(wich are the values of A10's Gau-8, that don't have tracers)

If you like you can also modify the gun's smoke by adding just after tracers values :

scale_smoke = 1.5,

smoke_opacity = 0.10,

for both M61 HE and AP, this way smoke is about the same size but with less opacity.

pure gold! subscribing. thank you OP for sharing your RL insight.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks for your input FightsOn. Much appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Hi FightsOn! yes you can disable tracers :

Edit the file shell_table.lua (loc : C:\Pierre\Jeux\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\Weapons) and, for both M61_20_HE and M61_20_AP (third and fourth shells in the list), replace the values :

--snippage--

That looks to be the usual

"c:\users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Saved Games" directory that DCS uses to keep customization.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

16. ADV – on the DDI should go away if there are no advisories displayed.

...I thought so as well. Good catch.

6. NWS LO is too sensitive during TO and LDG rollout

...yep, big big problem, makes landing roll outs very difficult, cant tell you the number of times I have skidded sideways. Surely not realistic.

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Excellent post and thx! Carrier Ops #3...with the latest update this seems worse to me especially after landing. It's like hurricane force winds are keeping me from maneuvering on the deck. Like suddenly the back end is being pushed sideways and spinning the ac around.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

The trim readout is a "relatively" new Software feature. Not sure if its timeline wise accurate for the software loads as depicted in the Sim. We need info as to exactly when this feature became operational on the C.

It went Operational on the E/F model with Software MC OFP H3E around 2008 ish

I don't know when the feature was implemented in the A-D, but the 23X and 25X airplanes I've flown have all had it.

More importantly, if it's not implemented, that is fine, but BIT-MI needs to be implemented as the real-world workaround.

Thanks i really love to read some insights from real pilot’s on DCS modules.

Thank you for this, i was scrolling through bit pages to see why this would still lit up on the DDI. And should you take off from carrier with anti skid on also shown as ADV?

Yes, you should have a SKID advisory on the ship.

Great post. Thanks for putting the time in.

I think from what I have read the whole AOA on landing and dropping flaps etc is being worked on by EA. The trim display on the HUD would so help with this. My jet must look like a porpoise when I am landing till I get a hold of the trim and throttle.

So you are happy with the throttle response?

Others have commented they feel it is a little slow, almost like the jet has to much drag.

I'm happy with the response time of the motors, in that you have to lead power additions and subtractions, and the engines don't provide instantaneous power.

Separately, I do think the jet is too draggy in PA mode, as sometimes I have to tap blower in the approach turn to maintain on-speed AOA. But I think those are two separate issues.

The response time I think is good, I do think the airframe is too draggy in PA requiring excessive power (A/B) in the approach turn and some other phases of flight where it shouldn't.

Well, there is a fellow Hornet pilot of yours, Lex Talionis, who mentioned that the power is too weak in approach. But he wasn't talking about the response times, however, he was talking about how he needed to go into AB sometimes to stay on speed. I'm not sure if you're talking about response times or raw power (or too much drag on the sim's jet).

See my above reply, but I agree that the jet is too draggy, and requires A/B when it shouldn't (such as in the approach turn) but I think the requirement to lead power additions and subtractions is good.

Good modeling of response time, too draggy of an airframe in PA mode.

"More importantly, if it's not implemented, that is fine, but BIT-MI needs to be implemented as the real-world workaround."

What Memory Inspect is required? I am presuming an entry ?

As you'd enter the landing pattern you Memory Inspect Unit: 14 Addr: 743

When the value is (I THINK) ~3200 the jet is trimmed to onspeed. That said, my memory is fuzzy since I haven't used this function during my time flying the Hornet outside of being taught by an instructor during my early training.

[..]I agree that the jet is too draggy, and requires A/B when it shouldn't (such as in the approach turn) but I think the requirement to lead power additions and subtractions is good.

Thanks for clearing it all up. While I'm not a pilot of any type, I agree that engine response time seems realistic. Your observations agree with most of other Hornet pilots' that I've read/watched.

Good modeling of response time, too draggy of an airframe in PA mode.

I guess that's the bottom line on what's right and wrong in DCS's Hornet PA mode power dynamics. I suspect ED had already figured it out and are working on it, but your input adds even more confirmation, for us players at least.

Thanks again for taking your time :thumbup:.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now