Dual throttles are mandatory?

vegue

This is a little off Topic, but is the throttle of the Logitech Extreme3DPro sufficient enought for the FA18 ?

You'd likely have to set at least 2 modifiers, and will still use the keyboard plenty.

Of course, nothing is impossible.

If you're ever looking for an upgrade but can't afford a Warthog, get the T.16000M HOTAS pack, it will not dissapoint

There is no need to worry. As been previously said, there will be one axis to control both engines simultaneously and it works great, just like in other twin engine planes in DCS. And, of course, there will be two axis to separate control of each engine for hardcore.

There is a reason for it. You can asymetrically control a P-38 in a DF and it would maybe be useful. I will also say that I have read it's something that could be done that most of the tight turning, 109 beating low altitude dogfights I read first hand accounts of they did not talk about assymetrical engine management, and they were able to low speed, hard turn 109's into the ground.

There is a reason for it. You can asymetrically control a P-38 in a DF and it would maybe be useful.
It cannot possibly be useful in a dogfight, since you want to tighten your turn radius, not widen it or prevent yourself from turning that way altogether. These are not modern thrust vectors -- by creating asymmetric thrust, you make the aircraft sideslip, making it prone to enter a spin if you turn into the lower-thrust engine, and to avoid it, you'd have to enter a very shallow turn unless you want the plane to flip over and enter a spin. The best solution, which is recommended everywhere where there can be a dead wing-mounted engine, is to turn another way, on the "live" engine side. It will take significantly longer, but it will be possible without losing an aircraft.

If you want, you can experience it yourself, turning off an engine of a twin-engine aircraft in DCS midflight. If engines have a noticeable separation (on Su-25/T it will work), you'll immediately feel the difference between left and right turns and why turning into a dead engine is highly not recommended. Mulitply that feeling to account for the longer distance from the center of mass to the engine in P-38 and the corresponding momentum to get the idea why lowering one engine thrust in any combat situation will significantly worsen your position.

Edited by Черный Дракул

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

Whoa killer, I realize that it doesn't makes sense when we talk about it, but if folks who flew it say there is something to it then there is. People like you and I get to talk about it here, and as I said I haven't read of anyone trying to do in in a DF, but it gets talked about by actual P-38 pilots, so......??

A bit off topic, but still still about dual throttles...

IRL, in twin engine fighters, is there a mechanism to lock both throttle controls together as is the case for the Warthog controller?

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

There is no locking mechanism between the throttles.

A friend with a couple of tours on F14 was telling me they they could use assymetrics thrust in visual combat but he found out of little practical use.

For the OP I am pretty sure Wags uses a TWCS so it is a single throttle, I use the same thing on the road in VR and it works fine. Only trick is if you have a single engine fire and need to shut it down.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Whoa killer, I realize that it doesn't makes sense when we talk about it, but if folks who flew it say there is something to it then there is. People like you and I get to talk about it here, and as I said I haven't read of anyone trying to do in in a DF, but it gets talked about by actual P-38 pilots, so......??
What sayings exactly do you mean? Please, cite it so we, too, can discuss it. For example, you can provide even working conditions for the engines, setting equal manifold pressures with throttles (since engines are different, throttle settings will be as well) -- which can be of value when we talk about heat generation, fuel consumption and such. That, of course, will be emulated for single player's throttle somehow (automatic difference being most likely the solution), but having manual control for that with two player's throttles can be a good feeling. BTW, there is already a Saitek Throttle Quadrant around for that:

i?id=11d3894275bbba8d9e59635438de8e79-l&n=13

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

• 6 months later...