Need advice on building a 6 DOF motion platform

ElCuco68

So far, I've got pretty much everything I need to squeeze out all the realism DCS is capable of, including Oculus VR goggles. Having tried it using the Oculus, I'm convinced that adding a motion platform with VR would be absolutely breath-taking, and now I'm obsessed with the idea. Once that happens, I go into tunnelvision problem-solving mode to acquire whatever the object of my obsession is, especially when, like this, the above-mentioned object would be considered a non-essential toy by the Treasurer (wife), and the turn-key solutions are very expensive.

To that end, I'm committed to finding a DIY means of getting one of these. I have a machine-tool/metalworking shop in my basement, and have built things that were much more elaborate than this, including flying aircraft, so this should be do-able. What I want to do is build a top-notch 6-DOF platform; something very powerful, fast, and accurate. I've already found some builders' forums, and have been asking some questions, but I'm hoping that someone on here might have some background in building one of these as well. As far as I've been able to gather, there are several major types of 6DOF platforms, primarily classified according to whether they use hydraulics or geared motors, as well as other variables.

Does anybody on here have any experience with these things?

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

I saw a huey cockpit n one also I’m thing of going 3doecse the space available and cost. Iirc the software interface andfan noice is where most have problems

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Xsimulator is a great forum with lots of information on it

I've made a 2dof platform using their software .

I suggest you give real thought to whether you really need 6degrees

Imo forward and lateral motion have limited use and effect on your senses

3dof with pitch roll and then "heave" up down is sufficient. "Surge" or acceleration can then be mixed into your pitch axis and is quite convincing

My platform uses dc geared motors with old server psus

I went with jrk 12v12 controllers rather than arduino as they are a lot more user friendly and supported by simtools

Another consideration is use of vr you will.need a way to offset the motion of your platform reference your hmd. If you don't have this then when u roll or pitch your aircraft your perspective will shift and be thrown out of the cockpit each movement you make in the sim

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Edited by jimiC