F-18 or F-14? Which is easioer to learn? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
viper2097

If you need to ask if F-18 or F-14, then the answer will always be F-18.

If you want to buy a car, and you have to ask if a Minivan or a Muscle car is the right thing for you, also, always go with the Minivan.

True, the F-18 and the Minivan are by far not as cool as the F-14 and the Muscle car, but when you realize that the F-14 does not have the airspeed on the HUD, and that your childseat does not fit in the Muscle car, you will be glad.

Seriously. The F-14 is more simple, but has much more deepthness to learn. It makes you a better pilot and RIO, but you have to learn and train. Also it needs a lot of passion.
So if you need to ask, you probably have not enough passion for that plane and you would be disappointed. Take-off, land and carrier based recoveries, airial refueling, useing the radar and flying on the edge in a dogfight is BY FAR more easy and easier to learn in the Hornet.
System: i7-4790K@4.5GHz, 32GB Ram, Strix 1080 8GB, M.2 SSD, Win10Pro, 27" 1080p curved S27D590
Equipment: TrackIR 5 w/ Trackclip Pro, TM T16000 HOTAS, TFRP pedals
viper2097 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
imacken

Personally, I have never struggled so much with an sim aircraft than I do with the F-14. I really just don't get it despite trying quite hard!
On the other hand, the Hornet is a lot of fun once the systems are learned to a reasonable degree.
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
bfr

It would be interesting to know from the OP as to what aspect of the Harrier they were struggling with. If it was the avionics side then they'll probably hate the Hornet as well.

In terms of learning to fly the 18 v 14 (versus learning systems), I agree with others that the 18 is much more forgiving whereas the 14 bites back quite hard if you stray over the limits.
bfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
gekoiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
If you need to ask if F-18 or F-14, then the answer will always be F-18.

If you want to buy a car, and you have to ask if a Minivan or a Muscle car is the right thing for you, also, always go with the Minivan.

True, the F-18 and the Minivan are by far not as cool as the F-14 and the Muscle car, but when you realize that the F-14 does not have the airspeed on the HUD, and that your childseat does not fit in the Muscle car, you will be glad.

Seriously. The F-14 is more simple, but has much more deepthness to learn. It makes you a better pilot and RIO, but you have to learn and train. Also it needs a lot of passion.
So if you need to ask, you probably have not enough passion for that plane and you would be disappointed. Take-off, land and carrier based recoveries, airial refueling, useing the radar and flying on the edge in a dogfight is BY FAR more easy and easier to learn in the Hornet.
Easy killer, lets calm down with the rhetoric a bit. The F-18 is every bit as "deep" as the Tomcat, just in a different way, you have much more complex systems and weapons and the tactics to go along with them, to learn in the Hornet. The Hornet is a more accessible jet for new pilots due to its easy going, pilot-friendly flight control system, not because it's any less "deep" or because it requires less passion or motivation to learn properly.
gekoiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
DocSigma

It's a tough. I want to say both. Two totally different experiences. The 14 looks modern, but it definitely doesn't fly modern. The F18 is FBW and very "user-friendly." Personally, the more interesting part of the 14 is the Rio seat - everything can be done from there minus actually flying the jet, and it'll definitely be a learning curve jumping back and forth between the two seats to fly a jet that takes two people to fly. I feel the Hornet is only lacking in its engines: the engines don't feel near as responsive as the Tomcats. Go with the hornet. you just feel like your doing more stuff. In the tomcats pilot seat I feel like I always feel like I'm not doing enough which is what the plane was designed to feel like from the pilots perspective.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
whaaw

F/A18 the plane where you can literally refuel in BALT / ATC mode.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #17
Banzaiib

If all you want to do is CCIP bombing runs, the F-14 is better for that and easier, but if you want to learn CASE 1 landings and the full gamut of combat roles, then the F-18 is going to be a much easier learn. The systems are more intuitive on the F-18 than the F-14 and even than the Harrier, and the FCS will pretty much stop you from killing yourself unless you just drive into the ground.

The F-14 lacks a couple key developments that make it especially difficult to fight with, namely, TWS Auto is not modeled, and you need another human for laser guided bomb chuckery...

The F-14 flight model is fantastic, and it's truly a joy to fly, but it's also like a 1,000 hp go-cart... really fun, really fast, and always trying to get you to commit suicide. I can't believe anyone actually flew the real thing... those guys truly had balls of steel.
Banzaiib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
Dafiew

Don't forget guys that in it's current state the Hornet is not even 50% done, once completed it'll be the most complicated module by far to master...
Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #19
Overparduffer

Are you more concerned with learning to fly it or learning to use the weapon systems? The former is harder in the F14, the later is harder in the F18.

The F18 is practically point the plane where you want to go and let go of the stick. The F14 requires almost constant trimming. You go heads down for 7 seconds, look up and you might be inverted headed for the earth at mach 1.

The F18 is a multi-role aircraft so it can employ all types of weapons which takes time to learn.

Both fun for different reasons but the F14 is really fun to fly.
Overparduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #20
Tronorail

I will mention a consideration that ends up affecting me a lot, personally. The F-14 is great if you have someone to fly with. Jester is cool and all, but it was very clearly designed for two players. If you’re like me and you don’t have anyone to fly with, the FA-18 is probably a better choice.

If you’ve ever wanted to mess with the A-10C’s systems but wished it was faster and more exciting, the FA-18 is calling.
Tronorail is offline   Reply With Quote