DCS: Tornado possible?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Tornado is made, getting a cockpit is the next thing. Check out this site (I'm sure most of you already have). The first section is a Tornado Cockpit for sale:

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/what-we-do/cockpits/

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

If the Tornado is made, getting a cockpit is the next thing. Check out this site (I'm sure most of you already have). The first section is a Tornado Cockpit for sale:

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/what-we-do/cockpits/

You are so bad :D I got distracted on their website and side tracked on to their ebay site £6999 for the Tornado cockpit wonder how much the Lightning one will be when it is finished :joystick:

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Tornado

Yeah, the tornado will go down well in this community if done well. Certainly one of my all time favourites.

I used to do a lot of driving with work up in Scotish highlands along various western roads and other than some stunning scenery quite often you would be on the same flight path as fast jet valley practice runs. In fact one of the last times I was up there (I think it was the A85) I was driving along adminring the scenery when I heard the distinct thundering rockets from behind me. Knowing it was a Tornado GR4(3?) I quickly stopped and got out just as the jet flew overhead through the valley. Probably around 150 - 200ft above me and sweeping left to right (so tightly you could even see the elevators moving up and down). I guess it was probably doing 300 knots easily. My ears almost bled - it was LOUD but ever so amazing to see.

Another time in the Orkneys I was driving down the road near the ferry port and 2 F3's flew past on the coast chasing each other, 1st one very low then pulling up and did a (I think) Immelmann turn as the other barrel rolled behind him pulling hard into the turn looking to get guns on his prey. This probably only lasted 20secs but looked so amazing.

Anyone else had any interesting stories of fast jet weapons/ tactics training would be cool to hear from them all

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Used to live in Wick in Caithness and we got a lot of military aircraft visiting either as part of exercises at the Tain bombing range or heading to/from Cape Wrath range. The A837 from Oykel Bridge out to Ledmore was a good place to spot low flying fast movers, I used to have to go to Ullapool a lot for work and many a time I was higher up in the valley than the jets flying along in the bottom of the Glen. I remember seeing a pair of Harriers streaking along and you could see the nozzles moving so they could turn up the next glen.

Another time the US Air Force was practicing with the RAF at Tain when their F15 had a malfunction and released a missile into the forest at the Ord of Caithness and burned half of it down, they had fire engines from Wick, Thurso and other surrounding areas to try and contain the fire. It was many, many years before the scar on the hillside was covered over by new forest.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Nice anecdotes guys, please keep 'em coming.

It is entirely possible to do a decent Tornado sim. Some stuff will be classified of course, but with accurate modelling of the stuff we know about and good guesses for everything else then no-one will know the difference (and anyone who does know may not be able to tell). Certainly a sim "good enough for government work" can be done.

The Mach One Manuals site has the Tornado flight and performance manuals for purchase as well as checklists. I bought them a few days ago and they are worth it if you are a Tornado buff (personally, I love air-to-mud so this was a good buy IMHO).

Here a rough first cut of a Tornado model in my renderer (just got the model from Turbosquid, have not done any work on it yet):[/url]

ScreenShot2012-07-04at80419AM.png

and while I'm at it, another recently acquired model. Anyone who is keen could acquire the same models and put them in DCS (I may one day, but have another project to work on first).

ScreenShot2012-07-04at80853AM.png

Edited by Moa
It is entirely possible to do a decent Tornado sim. Some stuff will be classified of course, but with accurate modelling of the stuff we know about and good guesses for everything else then no-one will know the difference (and anyone who does know may not be able to tell). Certainly a sim "good enough for government work" can be done.

Indeed. I also have Mach one manuals, there are radar, weapon and advanced navigation equipment instructions included in the document. Unfortunately, those manuals are very old and don't include neither TIALD nor LGB usage, but still useful to model a 'desert storm' standard. Don't expect too much fun with just ballistic bombs, though.

Performance data is also very complete and includes E-V diagrams, which help to tune up drag polars and engine model, but there is no wind tunel information available in the net (you can find tons of F-15,F-16 and F-18 wind tunnel data, even Harrier) so some CFD might be necessary to get some longitudinal/lateral stability/controlability coefficients. Don't expect a very accurate out-of-envelope behaviour, but since it's a strike aircraft it's possible to live with that I guess.

Regards!

Edited by amalahama

Would it be possible and manageable to develop a Tornado module in the future?

Please no.

Harrier series

Hell no! :helpsmilie:

Valuable resources could be put into the development of much more interesting aircraft. I don't know what the next module will be but something like F-16, F/A-18, F-15C, F-15E are just to name the few that would be much more interesting (and I bet more profitable for ED and 3rd party developers) to have. As 3rd party projects these would probably be more difficult to make but the next DCS: Fighter might make it easier and hopefully will contain some useful tools in that regard.

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Well as we are Virtual European Air Operations, I'd say we're going to stick with the European ones, just a little giveaway in the name there ;)

HOORAY !

I am now off for some tea, Thank you :thumbup:

what what, spiffing

Edited by BIGNEWY
  • Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well as we are Virtual European Air Operations, I'd say we're going to stick with the European ones, just a little giveaway in the name there ;)

Well that's a relief.

Back to my cream tea.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Dont mind a bit of crumpet after tea. Love the Tornado and the Harrier.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

You want a scone with that?

I take it you don't know what a cream tea is then...;)

I would luve to see the Buccaneer, Tornado and the Jag.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Don't see why not go for US jets having in mind that many European countries have (F-16, F/A-18 )/will have (F-35) US fighters in service.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]