The Rookie Thread

• ED Team
Guys sorry if this has been answered everywhere but spent and hour or so searching with no luck.

Had to re buy Black Shark 2 as original copy would not bind to DCS World.

Anyway have an issue binding my X52 Pro to Game Settings.

Main issue is mapping the O key to a Joystick button. The O key line is in red and the button mapping does not work although all others do. Cannot see O Key is duplicated anywhere so no idea why in red. Stick mouse not recognized either.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Many thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by map the "O key" to a joystick button. Do you mean you are trying to map the "O key" in Saitek programming software? Or do you mean you're trying to map the "Uncage SHKVAL, designate target" command to the joystick in DCS options?

If you are using the Saitek programming software, I recommend instead using the Controls options in DCS to set up your X-52. I use an X-52 and don't have issues that way. Not sure why the stick mouse isn't recognized. Did you try programming the stick mouse in the "Axis Commands" category?

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Finally getting used to this thing. I've managed to employ the missiles, guns and work out most of the autopilot features.

I may even grow to like it soon!

it's a process.

i got the thing and tried to fly it being new to helicopters entirely. after a few hours i threw in the towel for a month after learning to hate the thing and it's totally bizarre handling, strange propensity to turn all over the place for no reason (well, a reason) and flight limitations that had me ripping my own rotors off constantly.

then a month or two later i was bored on an afternoon and gave it another go.

the real trick to the KA-50 is understanding how the autopilot works. once i understood what it was actually doing and how it interacted with the trimmer it clicked for me.

after that it didn't take long to become proficient and start enjoying flying it.

the nice thing about the KA-50 is that if you fly it smart, the autopilot can do 99% of the work for you. really, it's a wonder of technology.

• 6 months later...

Hello ...

My first post on this forum and I am feeling a bit "stupid".

Been trying to use the search function, but either I do not understand how it works, or no one else ever had the same problem as I do.

Have been using the default airplanes and started to get the hang of things (after realizing that this is nothing like what I am used to, coming from playing BF on the xbox360)... so I decided to buy the "Huey", as helis is "my thing".

I just started learning to fly it with the "free flight" feature.

Using the Logitech Extreme 3D PRO joystick, I am not able to figure out how to use the "slider" to control the "collective" ... and find myself stuck with using "Q" and "A" for this ...

Am I missing something?

Would appr any assistance ... :)

Intel i7-6700K

GTX1070 Dual OC

Ram 32GB 2133MHz

When you enter a mission, choose adjust controls and make sure your slider is seen and set correctly for you helo and game or simulation settings you are using. You may have to look at the pull-down lists to make sure you are making the right settings choices.

Thanks ... I did not realize there was multiple choices.

I was making changes to the wrong heli.

Problem solved!

Intel i7-6700K

GTX1070 Dual OC

Ram 32GB 2133MHz

Hello ...

My first post on this forum and I am feeling a bit "stupid".

Been trying to use the search function, but either I do not understand how it works, or no one else ever had the same problem as I do.

Have been using the default airplanes and started to get the hang of things (after realizing that this is nothing like what I am used to, coming from playing BF on the xbox360)... so I decided to buy the "Huey", as helis is "my thing".

I just started learning to fly it with the "free flight" feature.

Using the Logitech Extreme 3D PRO joystick, I am not able to figure out how to use the "slider" to control the "collective" ... and find myself stuck with using "Q" and "A" for this ...

Am I missing something?

Would appr any assistance ... :)

For "Search Function":

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2897426&postcount=52

You can set your slider as collective using the "Axis Commands" under Controls setup.

Reaper6

• Like 1

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

For "Search Function":

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2897426&postcount=52

You can set your slider as collective using the "Axis Commands" under Controls setup.

Reaper6

Thanks for info about search function ...

Regarding the "bindings" ... I was not aware that there where 3 "profiles" for the Huey ...

I was making the changes on the wrong one.

Intel i7-6700K

GTX1070 Dual OC

Ram 32GB 2133MHz

Starting to get the grips of how to fly the Huey and the basics on how to operate the wepaon system ... so I joined a "random" multiplayer game.

I have no idea of how it works!

Was having an awesome time, flying around with someone called "ben93" (both flying a Huey) ... He was a good pilot!

All of the sudden we where both shot down by enemy ground troops.

I don´t even know how to "chat" in multiplayer ...

Please direct me to a good "tutorial" on how this works ... :)

Intel i7-6700K

GTX1070 Dual OC

Ram 32GB 2133MHz

• 1 month later...

Getting Kicked all the time

Hi,

I'm relatively new to multiplayer and have been kicked from a couple of servers already for accidental team killing.

I joined the red/Russian side, jumped into an SU33 and loaded it out with Air to Air missiles, took off and went on the hunt.

I'm not really sure how to identify friendlies when we all fly the same damn aircraft!

I joined the Russian side, saw an F15 and shot it down, to my amazement it was a TK. I can only assume that a friendly Russian pilot landed his Sukoi at an enemy airfield and stole one of their F15?!

How are we supposed to identify the enemy if we can select their aircraft?

When you are scanning for bandits, on your HUD when you see a doubled dash line it means it is friendly if you see single dashed line it is enemy jet.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Well you can perform formation with enemy but keep your distance behind him in case he has evil intentions :).

Well there are different ways to identify it. You can use IRST mode. This is a stealth mode, enemy will not know that you are watching him, same principle applied just like radar mode double dash line is for friendly jets.

Another option is to ask from your team for specific aircraft on specific position.

If AWACS is available you can contact and confirm BRA of the bandit.

Also use F10 map view on some servers to confirm foe or friendly

I hope it will help you

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Thanks, but when I am not using my radar and instead avoiding detection and sneaking up on aircraft visually, then how do I tell?

Two words that will change your life forever: Situational. Awareness.

Sounds simple, but is very difficult to develop. The more information you have available, the better. Most servers advocate a TS server. Join it and talk to people. They'll be much more likely to forgive you if you make an honest mistake. And they'll be much more likely to guide you onto actual targets or tell you when you've got an ally in your sight.

It goes without saying that you should read the briefings very carefully.

Know your aircraft and its systems.

If you look at a bogey, would you rather risk a teamkill/blue-on-blue, or allow an enemy to bomb the sh*t out of your buddies on the ground? Whatever decision you make, real pilots suffer from many of the same problems.

Besides: Could a mod please move these posts to the FC3 forum? Seems they have nothing to do with the Black Shark. :smartass:

• 2 months later...

Just jumped in, looking for any assistance.

So just recently a few days ago decided to take the leap into this DCS...

Running a 3 monitor setup with a capable system, Win10Pro

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Stick and Throttle kit

KBSIM T Runner MKIV pedals

Trackir5

AC10C

KA50

UH1

As my interests primarily are Helicopters, Im focusing on the KA50 atm..

problem is my pedals will not work right in game.. they test fine on Windows and on any calibration window, DCS can see it, I see the Black Box in the Controls colums. but they wont have any response in any game I play.

I do NOT know how to edit the control profiles. Ive poured over this Forum for 3 days now, finally decided I need help. is there any user friendly explanation for doing a control profile? Im unsure what buttons are shown or how to assign them to a particular function... also, several actions have buttons listed across several Input device columns . Are they creating a conflict? ive soaked up eagerly all the info ive been able to come across here so far and tried to make sense of it but honestly I dont even know where to start, somewhat.

Ive downloaded and attempted to load several profiles, for all of my vehicles... my rudder pedals will not work even though I see a button(s) assigned to them.

I just wanted a good playing chopper game and after some research in the more modern offerings, settled on DCS. Im impressed but I am keenly aware that its MORE than a bit over my head

Id really like to be able to get this up and running somewhat decently so I can actually play for a change... I need a beginner specific setup documentation... everything Ive been able to find is rather advanced.

• 8 months later...

Just purchased this mod; It's going to be a hell of a ride :lol:

Hardware: Asus Strix B350 mobo, Ryzen 5 1600X OC'd @ 3.8GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, Asus Strix RX Vega 64

Peripherals: TM HOTAS Cougar, TrackIR 5, 24" Iiyama Red Eagle 144Hz

Just purchased this mod; It's going to be a hell of a ride :lol:

So, 3 days later, have you already met my very dear friend, the Vortex Ring State? Also say hi to rotor blade intersection (aka rotor blade salad) when you cross paths. Other than that, just trim, trim, trim and you'll be fine. :D

So, 3 days later, have you already met my very dear friend, the Vortex Ring State? Also say hi to rotor blade intersection (aka rotor blade salad) when you cross paths. Other than that, just trim, trim, trim and you'll be fine. :D

Oh yes; just the one time but it was ugly :pilotfly:

The trimming is a bit difficult; I'm trying to figure out a good way to do this but I think it's just something I need to practice a whole lot more. :joystick:

Hardware: Asus Strix B350 mobo, Ryzen 5 1600X OC'd @ 3.8GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, Asus Strix RX Vega 64

The trimming is a bit difficult; I'm trying to figure out a good way to do this but I think it's just something I need to practice a whole lot more. :joystick:

Yeah, practice makes perfect.

Understanding the system in the first place is also very important. I think Froogle has one of the best explanations around:

DCS Black Shark 2 - Mastering the Trim

Yeah, practice makes perfect.

Understanding the system in the first place is also very important. I think Froogle has one of the best explanations around:

DCS Black Shark 2 - Mastering the Trim

Nice; thanks for this!

• 6 months later...

I've got one problem and I can't find out what's the cause.

I'm locking targets for Vikhr. Hover is on, all autopilot channels on, ground moving target on and helicopter heading follows the Shkval aim.

Suddenly (and I didn't touch anything) Shkval breaks lock and helicopter starts spinning right, goes back for a while to aim at waypoint marked on ABRIS (PVI is turned off, no navigation, no route mode) and goes back to spinning right until crash.

When I'm trying to counter it, trim doesn't work. The only way is to disable autopilot heading, stabilize heli and enable it again - then trimming suddenly starts working.