What do I do with the Tomcat?

obious

OP reminds me of when I first started flying the Tomcat module, one of the very first things I wanted to understand was the F-14's handling, and how to use every bit of the air frames limit to maximize the Tomcat in BFM, I did non-stop BFM fights against AI for weeks (granted that the AI needs work), until I could get it down to a T. I'm probably rusty now, due to the amount of BVR the F-14 does in DCS (longest ranged missiles, using the AIM-54 and maximizing their potential i.e avoiding close in fights), but man were those first few weeks of flying the F-14 were nothing short of amazing a true testament to Heatblur's modelling. Each day I jumped onto DCS I was trying to understand the little details, how much push and pull could I give to the F-14, without snapping my wings, or breaking the INS, If I pull X amount of AOA, can I still keep a sustained turn, etc, etc.

On a side note, I've never got into a flat spin unintentionally.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Explore the back seat and its toys!

I've spend 99.7% of my time in the DCS Tomcat (150+ h) on the backseat. The weapon system, the radar, the INS and the LANTIRN are so much fun to play with, that I still have no desire to really try out the front seat!

This! I spend almost all my time as a RIO with a friend and as we try to splash as many bandits as we can. Our enjoyment comes from learning the best strategies and improving our communication so we can become deadlier without dying.

I am just starting to fly the thing with Jester in the back and although it's fun, I much enjoy being in the back with a buddy up front.

I have a simpit for the 14 going and it's almost done with the exception of the front end. Im waiting for the controls in the game to be finished so I get the right controls for the pit. I will say that when the 14 first came out the buffeting was kind of a downer coming from flying the 18 or the 15 for so long. Had to get used to something new. I don't want to advertise but the seat cushions that hook up to the sound systems of the PC is what really makes being able to bring the plane to the edge and back for me really awesome! That and having a real RIO in the plane really bring the 14 to life. The buffeting comes on in and you just know you're getting to that limit. The rudders actually let you move the bird around and point it where you want as well. It's like stall fighting an old war bird with jet engines.

WIN10-64 HOME Ryzen9 3900x 4.0GHZ, 32GB DDR4, RX6800xt, 1TSSD  Reverb G2, F-14 Simpit (WIP)

Virpil Collective 60 head, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, TM MFDs, 5 Leo Bodnar boards.

This! I spend almost all my time as a RIO with a friend and as we try to splash as many bandits as we can. Our enjoyment comes from learning the best strategies and improving our communication so we can become deadlier without dying.

Yeah, exactly the same here. Great fun! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I seriously doubt I could ever get bored with this module! :D

I only fly on weekends (thanks life) and going from TrackHat to VR has been a complete re-learn especially the Case I Recovery! The 3D visual queues and having to REALLY turn your head to see made for erratic altitudes and had to work hard get smooth again! Training never stops!

I trapped two consecutive 3 wires and the pride (and relief) was as much as 5 months ago. :)

I've also got all the maneuvers in the F-14 Demonstration ok though I am too high and the transitions need work! It helped to much with ACM which I haven't really pursued much...did bag my first SU-27 mostly because I knew how much to push it!

Formation is another challenge...refueling...air to ground...I mean there is so much to become proficient at...

I flew the excellent PMDG 777 and after you learned the program the FMC and do some real flight profiles, engine out and other challenges that was pretty much done. Never tried a carrier landing... :P

This work of art however...the never ending story!

Well to be honest, I LOVE the Tomcat but don´t fly it any more. I might be a sociopath, a lone looser, or whatever but I really don´t want to depend on a human RIO/ pilot to fly..

I just Wish we got a better jester... I know, I know, its an amazing job so far, but still....

Well to be honest, I LOVE the Tomcat but don´t fly it any more. I might be a sociopath, a lone looser, or whatever but I really don´t want to depend on a human RIO/ pilot to fly..

I just Wish we got a better jester... I know, I know, its an amazing job so far, but still....

Tell me about it..

Jester, lock that friendly tanker 22nm on the nose..."No can do..."

Jester, lock that friendly tanker 21nm on the nose..."No can do..."

Jester, lock that friendly tanker 20nm on the nose..."No can do..."

Jester, lock that friendly tanker 19nm on the nose..."No can do..."

PAL selected....0.5 seconds later - LOCK.

Jester - GTFO... :huh:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do not fly anymore I like to bomb stuff late at night want to orbit while setting up in the back seat but can not orbit.

Get the Pilot LANTIRN mod - game changer if you want to do some PGM work.

Also, if you have Voice Attack, it makes Jester much more capable/useful. I never realized how much more interesting and fun it is when I can communicate with my RIO and have him use the radar how I want him to, rather than just hope or spend precious seconds sifting through menus.

My biggest gripe with the F-14 is that it has ruined all other modules for me. Whenever there is the option, I will grab the Tomcat. It's just so perfect.

The flying is fun - I like that the aircraft is responsive, but doesn't do everything for you. There are limits, and you have to respect them.

Weapons employment is more than just point and click. There's necessary coordination with the RIO, great fun with WVR as well as some potent BVR capability (don't care as much about the latter, though).

Landing on the carrier is an art, in and of itself.

AAR is something that requires practice.

And no stinking digital everything up on the HUD. I like an instrument panel with analog dials. I love having the challenge of staying ahead of the aircraft. Testing its limits really is a test of my own.

And the looks - my goodness it is beautiful. Just a pure work of art. And the pilot/RIO animations are icing on the cake. Seeing them move around adds so much life to the game. It doesn't seem like a lot on paper, but it is a feature I sorely miss on every other module now.

There is nothing I don't want to do with the F-14.

In the event I ever get off my butt and start this F-14 simpit project, I'm going to have some real problems with work/life/DCS-life balance.

Edited by Dino Might

My biggest gripe with the F-14 is that it has ruined all other modules for me. Whenever there is the option, I will grab the Tomcat. It's just so perfect.

The flying is fun - I like that the aircraft is responsive, but doesn't do everything for you. There are limits, and you have to respect them.

Weapons employment is more than just point and click. There's necessary coordination with the RIO, great fun with WVR as well as some potent BVR capability (don't care as much about the latter, though).

And no stinking digital everything up on the HUD. I like an instrument panel with analog dials. I love having the challenge of staying ahead of the aircraft. Testing its limits really is a test of my own.

And the looks - my goodness it is beautiful. Just a pure work of art. And the pilot/RIO animations are icing on the cake. Seeing them move around adds so much life to the game. It doesn't seem like a lot on paper, but it is a feature I sorely miss on every other module now.

In the event I ever get off my butt and start this F-14 simpit project, I'm going to have some real problems with work/life/DCS-life balance.

I agree so much with that. Just pick up any task, from an IFR flight by night and bad weather from and to the boat, to an aerobatics program, a BFM training against anything or a night CAS, why not an air refueling to maintain your reflexes. A carefully planned and executed low cloud layer breakthrough to drop bombs on a target in a canyon !

That cat is the one DCS module that says me each day : enjoy me and challenge yourself!

-Hey, Goose, you big stud! Take me to bed or lose me forever!

-Show me the way home, honey!

:D

I just don't know what to do with her.

The short answer.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b44b83069776b262b7dd3ed6c30f5693a6b49394&rid=giphy.gif

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

So.. what I'm hearing is that I should buy this module as soon as it goes on a decent sale :D Got'cha!

You might have misunderstood something... Get it now! :thumbup: (Why wait?)

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

What to do? You'll never make it to the fleet until you've qualified at night doing the CASE III..

Master this..https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301552/

Skyspin

I5-4670K 4.3GHZ / 32GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080TI /HP Reverb G2 / ASUS Z-97A / SAMSUNG 500 GB SSD /Thrustmaster Warthog / RAZER Tartarus / CORSAIR Void Pro Wireless/  WIN 10

Get the Pilot LANTIRN mod - game changer if you want to do some PGM work.

Also, if you have Voice Attack, it makes Jester much more capable/useful. I never realized how much more interesting and fun it is when I can communicate with my RIO and have him use the radar how I want him to, rather than just hope or spend precious seconds sifting through menus.

I am not interested in the Mod just wanted iceman to hold heading I set when jumping in the back seat and not level up no big deal I have moved on from the tomcat to much nosence surrounds the module.