Thrusmaster TPR Hydraulic Damper Mod

Greekbull

Nice mod!

How is centering with that damper?

Are the pedal springs strong enough to bring the pedals to center?

I bought a couple of large RC car dampers. The throw is only about 45mm, so I will have to mount them closer to the pivot, where I can find a range of motion of about +/- 20mm. But they will help with centering force.

55E5CC93-77B9-4494-9FD7-D2360931574D.thumb.jpeg.1c35215dcdbed1a95602abcc635946a9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Glad you guys like it. Still love my mod! My pedals center just fine. I use both of the stock springs at the high(most tense) setting. With the damper I have I run it one click firmer than the lightest setting...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Hey Greekbull...how did you create the custom stickers for that Button Box? Or did you buy them?

Thanks

I used a brother label maker that printed labels with white writing on black. Works great!image0.jpg

I also used it with the Buddy Fox A-10 UFC to make grey labels for an F-18 UFC

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

My pedals center just fine. I use both of the stock springs at the high(most tense) setting. With the damper I have I run it one click firmer than the lightest setting...

Good to know!

Gravity helps the pedals towards center as well. It’s a good design!

• 5 months later...

Ohlins makes an electronically adjustable damper I wonder if one of those could be used to simulate dynamic loading like how real fly by wire style rudder pedals work. I remember the Rudder in the DHC-8 felt pretty good even though it was all simulated load on the pedals.

I'm guessing they could be talked to by an arduino talking CANBUS.

• 1 month later...

Great job. That looks like a mod worth to install. I think i'll build one of these as soon as i purchased my other needs...

Thanks for sharing

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Thank you Greekbull and Yomo! Just finished the mod. I also removed the springs (10 seconds job with the TPR) to avoid self centering when I fly choppers (never fly fixed wings anyway). The feeling is mind blowing and you can set the friction level to whatever you want. Amazing! So happy right now. :thumbup::megalol:

• 3 weeks later...

Did I misread something or do you have SimShaker transducer mounted to your trip? I’d like to see a transducer mod for the tm warthog stick with extensions.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can we get a parts list with links to amazon? I found the bracket and dampners there but don’t know what hardware was used from the video. I pictorial how to guide might be nice for the unexperianced

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 5 months later...

Just received my TPR pedals and they seem great except for the centering jitteriness; really surprised the centering force isn't damped by Thrustmaster. Anyway I'll be ordering a 10" shock from ebay and like this bracket (linked earlier) though I'm open to black brackets. Can y'all make suggestions on what fasteners I need?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys sorry hadn't been following this thread. Really glad to see quite a few of you getting good use of this mod. I have been using it for quite some time without any issues. My pedals still feel awesome, and recenter just fine. I unfortunately did not keep a parts list. It is very easy though. The main thing is getting the right damper which we linked a few times. It is a common Motorcycle steering damper. The rest of the parts are readily available at most hardware stores. I got all my stuff at Ace Hardware.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI update for folks, check your damper every now and again. They're cheap and Chinese, mine vomited its hydraulic fluid all over the base of my TPR. Not a big deal and they're cheapish at $30 just something to keep in mind they may not last forever.

• 4 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 9:12 AM, Greekbull said:

I ordered the dampener, bracket, picked up a M5 screw for the bracket (Confirming M5 for the bottom bracket?), a 60mm M5 screw, washers, nuts. Last thing I need is the 7.9mm OD Aluminum sleeves. I found local manufacturer who sells them threaded for M5 screws. Big question, how many aluminum sleeves did you use, and what were their lengths?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

• 7 months later...

How do you guys solve the sticktion problem? My very first mod to a rudder pedal was a damper mod about 15 years ago, using two largest RC dampers I could find. Two problems.

1. The damned things leak hydraulic oil. Not a problem for RC cars, just refill before each outing. It doesn’t leak a lot, just a few drops, enough to cause a huge problem for my carpet.

2. Inevitably due to the rubber o-rings inside the damper being compressed to prevent oil leak, the tighter they are compressed, the more sticktion there is. The less they are compressed, the more leak you get.

I didn’t see a way out of this conundrum so I abandoned the damper approach. I’d be glad to get back to it if you guys have solved these two problems. Note that I can detect even the slightest sticktion throwing off my shots.

• Like 1